Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Eclipse» Forums » General

Subject: Thoughts following a few games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Miguel Dom
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
I have only played the game 4 times mind you so my opinion is still fresh on this game.

I find that the major problem that I have had with the game is that of many other users. I hate to create another thread about a beaten to death topic but I felt like I should at least chime in lest the benevolent developers are watching or maybe I missed something when scouring through the forums.

The issue is missiles.

Yes. I know, that they are not overpowered or maybe they are. Maybe I just don't know how to adjust my strategy who knows. I have won every game of Eclipse so far but these missiles just make me not want to play. I feel like it breaks any idea of theme when I look over at another persons board and I see missile pod ships.

Earlier in the game there are armored hulls, shield, computers, engines, different kinds of cannons and then late game everyone has missiles hooked onto their ships. It just seems preposterous. I am not looking to start any fights but this was my case.

Secondly, I dislike alien tech. I like the idea of the discovery tiles, but the computer alien tech seems far more overpowered than the rest of the alien techs. When you compare it on the chart it exceeds the highest level of research. The rest of the alien techs fall somewhere between the rest I feel.

Please inform me as to whether I am completely wrong on this or whether my ideas about the game will change as I play.

Thanks
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Richardson

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmb
PM are overpowered but economy is more important, so the PM player doesn't always win by any means. They just are unbalanced, and also ruin a lot of the fun of combat.

The ancient ship parts are a one-shot. One copy on one blueprint. Free +3 can be the most exploited, but the lack of initiative and lack of way to duplicate it mitigates most of the problem. At best it's usually a free pass against ancients & the center, but some of the alien races already take the center early so it's something you have to plan for anyway.

Hypergrid can be great but only situationally. Shield sucks most of the time. Shard Hull is just good, not overpowered. Ion Turret is quite decent for an early pull but useless later. Ion Missile is pretty strong early and/or with Terran and/or computer, but situationally bad later.

Overall, only the +3 computer tile can be truly unbalanced, and even then it's not always the case. The unique ship parts make the game more fun IMO but you are free to treat them all as a forced 2VP only. Or just remove the axion computer if you really can't stand it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McThorn
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The few games I've played while Plasma missiles came out nobody ever bought them. The winners of the games were usually the people that got lucky tile draws and managed their economy well...plus bought Monoliths right at the end of the game to push them into the win. They'd also fill up one to two of their tech tracks for points.

But I've only played a few games so this is just my .02.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jthmmdom wrote:
Earlier in the game there are armored hulls, shield, computers, engines, different kinds of cannons and then late game everyone has missiles hooked onto their ships. It just seems preposterous. I am not looking to start any fights but this was my case.
You still want to have computers for your missiles or they will be pretty bad, and if multiple people have missiles, you definitely need computer/engine upgrades for initiative so you can fire your missiles first. The only thing that should really change if people had all that stuff to begin with is some missiles being traded for hull or cannons.

Edit: Also I find almost all of the alien tech to be really good and pretty balanced. The only one I think is not good is the shield, and I would usually pick the points over keeping it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ras2124 wrote:


Edit: Also I find almost all of the alien tech to be really good and pretty balanced. The only one I think is not good is the shield, and I would usually pick the points over keeping it.

In most cases, it's generally more effective to take the points (but less fun). It also depends A LOT on when it's discovered...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Valadez
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:
ras2124 wrote:


Edit: Also I find almost all of the alien tech to be really good and pretty balanced. The only one I think is not good is the shield, and I would usually pick the points over keeping it.

In most cases, it's generally more effective to take the points (but less fun). It also depends A LOT on when it's discovered...


I feel the 'value' of all the discovery tiles varies some depending on when they are discoverd. The tiles increasing science or materials may be great if they're drawn as a first tile and you're only generating a few resource a turn, but ineffective later in the game once you can generate a good amount every turn.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
After 44 games the most important techs that I care about are 1: Improved Hull, 2: Advanced techs, 3: Computers (+2 or +3), 4: Additional Influence Disks, 5: Improved weapons (including missiles).

End game I only care about Wormhole, Monolith and Artifact Key. For the important techs (to me) I will consider not only what tech I will buy but what tech my opponents will get.

PM becomes a priority for me in one circumstance, if I don't have Improved Hulls.

I rarely go for the center anymore, I only attack to shift the balance of power in games or to fill my reputation slots. There are much better ways to get VPs than fighting (although some fighting is good even if it is suiciding ships on the last turn of the game).


Edit: If you weaken Missiles then Anti-Matter cannons will dominate combat, but just like missiles, they won't dominate the game.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Morton
msg tools
Avatar
dlhammond wrote:
Edit: If you weaken Missiles then Anti-Matter cannons will dominate combat, but just like missiles, they won't dominate the game.

See, though, I think a game with anti-matter cannons as the top weapon would work out better. Anti-matter ships have to care about power and initiative more than missile ships (except in missile-vs-missile matchups), which makes more of the combat techs relevant. I'm thinking shields would also be more powerful because it would be harder to replace your computers with additional dice (unless you use lower-end cannons) in response to your opponent adding shields...a swarm of interceptors might also be a valid counter...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrondeath wrote:
dlhammond wrote:
Edit: If you weaken Missiles then Anti-Matter cannons will dominate combat, but just like missiles, they won't dominate the game.

See, though, I think a game with anti-matter cannons as the top weapon would work out better. Anti-matter ships have to care about power and initiative more than missile ships (except in missile-vs-missile matchups), which makes more of the combat techs relevant. I'm thinking shields would also be more powerful because it would be harder to replace your computers with additional dice (unless you use lower-end cannons) in response to your opponent adding shields...a swarm of interceptors might also be a valid counter...


I prefer PM the way they are it changes the combat dynamic.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.