Subject: Question on exorcising two ghosts from corner tile rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wesley Jones
United States
Hurricane
Utah
flag msg tools
My rules state: "A Taoist standing on one of the four corner tiles may target two adjacent spaces. . . When dice and Tao token combinations allow the player to exorcise either of the two ghosts, the player may choose which of the two ghost cards is discarded."
My question is: What if one of those two ghosts is the incarnation of Wu-Feng, and that incarnation doesn't have a specific requirement (like can only be killed by buddha), then does the above rule apply to Wu-Feng also?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
sure. But that seems tough to do with Wu Fengs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim - African River
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
luvmywife wrote:
My question is: What if one of those two ghosts is the incarnation of Wu-Feng, and that incarnation doesn't have a specific requirement (like can only be killed by buddha), then does the above rule apply to Wu-Feng also?

You could exorcise both a Wu-Feng incarnation and a ghost if you were in a corner and had enough resources to do so, but I'm wondering if you're confused about something else. I can't think of an incarnation that can be killed by a Buddha. If you're talking about Untouchable, you can't attack him unless he is on a space with a Buddha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
luvmywife wrote:
My rules state: "A Taoist standing on one of the four corner tiles may target two adjacent spaces. . . When dice and Tao token combinations allow the player to exorcise either of the two ghosts, the player may choose which of the two ghost cards is discarded."

If a WuFeng is among one of the cornere ghosts, and you have another corner ghost, you can excorcise both of them if you have enough "pips".

For example, if all 4 Taoists are on that corner, you roll X X X

Prayer Of Circle has red on it

And you're going up against Bone Cracker OOOO
and Skinner O

then Circle Of Prayer automatically kills Skinner, while the 2 Tao Dice, + Circle Of Prayer again + 1 red TT from any of the taoists will do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Jones
United States
Hurricane
Utah
flag msg tools
I think you that have responded are confusing my original question, or I didn't state it very well. Let me restate it a different way.
I have Wu-feng and another easy ghost that I can fight at the same time, if I have enough resources. But the rule states also that if I can kill one ghost (the easy one in this case) I can then choose which of the two ghosts I take out of the game. Thus, If I can kill the easy ghost, can I then choose to take out Wu-Feng and win the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Rogers
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're misreading the rules. The rules do not allow you to (what I think you're asking) say "Oh look, I have enough tao tokens to take out the easy ghost, and I happen to be standing on a corner where Wu-Feng also is. The rules say since I can take out the easy ghost, I get to choose which of the two corner ghosts I remove, therefore I will kill the easy ghost but remove the Wu-Feng card." If you have enough resources to kill BOTH ghosts you may. If you can only take out one, you choose the one that you have the resources to take out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Jones
United States
Hurricane
Utah
flag msg tools
Joe, this is not how I understand the rules. The rules state: "When dice and Tao token combinations allows the player to exorcise either of the two ghosts, the player may choose which of the two ghosts is discarded."
That seems clear to me that if I have enough dice and Tao Token combinations to take out the easier of the two ghosts, I can then choose to remove the harder of the two ghosts instead of the easier one. Isn't that what the rules state?
Thus, my original question: Does this apply to Wu-Feng also, (unless Wu-Feng is someone like Uncatchable who must be placed on a location occupied by a Buddha in order to exorcise)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Sphere wrote:
luvmywife wrote:

You could exorcise both a Wu-Feng incarnation and a ghost if you were in a corner and had enough resources to do so, but I'm wondering if you're confused about something else. I can't think of an incarnation that can be killed by a Buddha. If you're talking about Untouchable, you can't attack him unless he is on a space with a Buddha.

I thought untouchable was more like "you need to have him on a space with a buddha once, which consumes the buddha and makes the Untouchable .... touchable.".

It might be a technical point, but the buddha would be removed from the board and reusable (and you can move the Untouchable around, and it remains exorcisable) after.

As for a corner exorcism, if you have the resources at hand to kill two ghosts you may do so on one turn, without a special power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
luvmywife wrote:
Joe, this is not how I understand the rules. The rules state: "When dice and Tao token combinations allows the player to exorcise either of the two ghosts, the player may choose which of the two ghosts is discarded."
That seems clear to me that if I have enough dice and Tao Token combinations to take out the easier of the two ghosts, I can then choose to remove the harder of the two ghosts instead of the easier one. Isn't that what the rules state?
Thus, my original question: Does this apply to Wu-Feng also, (unless Wu-Feng is someone like Uncatchable who must be placed on a location occupied by a Buddha in order to exorcise)?

If you have the dice and Tao tokens to take out the easier of the two ghosts, but not the tougher ghost, then the dice do not allow you to exorcise "either" ghost; they allow you to exorcise only the one ghost.

A choice would mean something like you have a O green ghost in one corner and a O blue ghost in the other, and you roll a red, yellow, and white. The red and yellow dice do not help; the white die can exorcise either the green or blue ghost, but is not enough to take both out. So you choose which one. (Or, if you have a blue or green Tao token, you may choose to use the token for one and the die for the other.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Jones
United States
Hurricane
Utah
flag msg tools
Trevor,
With your explanation I finally see how I was apparently reading the rules wrong. (I still think my interpretation is valid according to how the rules are written). However, I seem to be outnumbered, so I am compelled to have to aquiesce to the majority, (although I don't like it-- I need every advantage I can get to win this dang game! I haven't won a single game yet on easy mode and every single discrepancy that comes up, the interpretation or rules seem to favor the ghosts instead of the villagers!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
luvmywife wrote:
Trevor,
With your explanation I finally see how I was apparently reading the rules wrong. (I still think my interpretation is valid according to how the rules are written). However, I seem to be outnumbered, so I am compelled to have to aquiesce to the majority, (although I don't like it-- I need every advantage I can get to win this dang game! I haven't won a single game yet on easy mode and every single discrepancy that comes up, the interpretation or rules seem to favor the ghosts instead of the villagers!)
You're not really misinterpreting that part in the rules. Moreso, that part of the rules was poorly worded.

I remember one group I played with, everyone was learning the game on the spot, of which we thought the same thing without any assistance from a vet. Then I played the Ipad version and that's clearly not how it work (which actually makes more sense since "the easy way" really didn't make sense logically). I then played with a couple of groups who didn't agree with that "easy kill" method.

Trust us when we say that's NOT how it works. Yes, it does make the game harder this way, but Ghost Stories being among the most difficult fully co-op games out there does have that to tie-in from.

The example I provided is correct... in fact, I deliberately set it that way to show that you need 5 pips of red to kill both ghosts (less since my example had the proper TT on the Circle Of Prayer). And this whole thing's got nothing to do with the fact Bone Cracker is a Wu-Feng.... if you replaced Bone Cracker with a regular ghost of 4-red resistence, you'd STILL need more 4 red pips to kill just that one ghost in that corner situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
apotheos wrote:
I thought untouchable was more like "you need to have him on a space with a buddha once, which consumes the buddha and makes the Untouchable .... touchable.".

It might be a technical point, but the buddha would be removed from the board and reusable (and you can move the Untouchable around, and it remains exorcisable) after.

I think you're right. I still have the original version of the rulebook, which says "this incarnation must be on a location occupied by a Buddha figurine in order for you to exorcise it". I believe somebody said that the later rules were amended to add a sentence saying that the Buddha is returned to the Temple after it 'weakens' Uncatchable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
luvmywife wrote:

I see how a lawyer might argue that, but I don't buy it. The question hinges on whether "exorcise" simply means "remove the ghost", or whether it means "apply the tokens and remove the ghost". I think it's clear that in game terms, the latter is intended.

You can't dissociate the tao tokens from the target they act upon. It would be like saying a guy has a single shot pistol, and if he shoots one attacker in the head, he can choose to have the other one die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Rogers
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, in my version of the game, the rules were really poorly translated and confusing (which is why it got a 9 rating instead of a perfect 10 rating for me). BGG has been great in helping me learn this amazing game. Like you, I want every advantage in my corner to help me win, but one of the reasons I so enjoy this difficult game is that when victory comes (and it WILL come for you eventually..heheheh), it makes it that much sweeter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.