Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam Liberty
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Thought I'd share my TED talk with the BGG community (and subject myself to scorn on a global scale).

Go forth and view!

About the talk:

"Curator's Pick: "Any time you can make the tension in your game revolve around the guy across the table, you've done something essential. You've turned a cardboard puzzle into a shared experience, a reason to gather around a table instead of a TV."

What is "fun?" Modern board game designers unpack this mysterious word in new ways, and distill it into playable works of art. Recent shifts in board game design philosophy -- and technology -- are ushering in a boom of innovation that pushes the limits of cardboard chips and wooden bits. Plus: how tension, suspense, immersion, meaningful decisions, and social interaction can be used and combined to meet design goals and boost player experience."

Board Game Geek gets a shout out about 2/3 of the way through, too.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Henry
United States
Canton
NY
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice! I've shared it with my gaming group and our Facebook group. Thanks for doing it and sharing it with the 'Geek!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Urgo
United States
Wanaque
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was "fun" watching this video ... it engaged and thrilled me enough to take me away from working for a few minutes on a Friday.

But seriously though, it was good. Any plans for something more like this in the future?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Richard
United States
Avon
US
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done! Very enjoyable talk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent. Wonderfully presented. Funny, informative, informal yet professional. I'm sure you created a few new boardgamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Spak

Cambridge
Massachusetts
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clockwerk76 wrote:
Excellent. Wonderfully presented. Funny, informative, informal yet professional. I'm sure you created a few new boardgamers.

If the people we talked to after the show are any indication we did. And no few of them expressed interest in coming to playtest meetups, too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Rogers
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
That was excellent: well written, well designed, well rehearsed, well delivered, well received.

Also, it was fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought your "candyland" variant was going to end with - "actually there's a game just like that, and it's X". Nice work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff
United States
Western Great Lakes - Owashtinong Aajigaaning
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't wait to see the BGG page for your design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Liberty
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
We should probably set up a page for Gladiators sooner rather than later. It's coming out from Rio Grande in 2013.

We do have pages for Forsooth!(http://rpggeek.com/rpg/14419/forsooth) and Cosmic Pizza, (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/122708/cosmic-pizza) however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ms Aura

California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I loved the talk! Very interesting and engaging! Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buddha Meeple
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mb
Great vid! Thanks for sharing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jules
Belgium
flag msg tools
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
badge
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
mbmbmbmbmb
Good job, guys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys did an excellent job of passing on a lot of good information and clever insights in a short time and without talking down to your audience. It was easy to put myself into the shoes of audience members who didn't know board games and get really, really excited about the ideas. This clearly took a lot of work to put together; thanks for this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read a lot about game design, and one of the trickiest things to do is define 'fun' (a lot of books muddle their way through the subject). This 10 min vid does more to explain what fun is than any other source I have come across.

Good work fellas! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve M
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great talk! The audience loved 'Don't kill players' haha. That's my #1 criteria for a 'fun game'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent. Two thumbs, a GG tip, and a congratulatory comment for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
ececec wrote:
Great talk! The audience loved 'Don't kill players' haha. That's my #1 criteria for a 'fun game'

This is what we call in the testing world an 'Unwritten Requirement'!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.