Subject: Suggestion for Sports Arena rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Contig
United States
flag msg tools
(this is not a hint)
badge
(this is still the old picture and I am too lazy to update it)
mbmbmbmbmb
Sports Arena currently gives +1 points for every year remaining. This is a bit strange to me, as it doesn't depend on your station or where it's built. It's the same for every player, and is great in the first year and only decent in the last year.

Instead of a swing of 3 credits depending on which stack it's in, why not say "1 point, +1 point for every previous turn this year". Then it could still be worth 1 to 7 points, depending on when it is chosen. Every time it gets passed, it's worth 1 more point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan " ; " Czop
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I've noticed there are a few cards that don't seem as valuable in a cost benefit evaluation.

I think the difficulty I am seeing with this game, and what is making me "Humm and Haw" about backing the game is that the cards played can be relative to what other players have in their space stations. I like the overall game for its theme/mechanic but there are issues like the one you mentioned that are causing me to pause and wonder if some of these things have been well thought out.

I guess I better decide quickly whether I am going to get it or not...only 5 days left!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Jensen
United States
Perry
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't mind me chiming in, I've played the game repeatedly and have enjoyed the internal struggles of deciding on the economics of when to play a location and when to pass to an opponent. Many naysayers are bringing up the supposed fact that some locations aren't optimized at every instant. It's true.

Sports Arena is one of those cards that is really rather awesome when you draw it in the first year. It makes you want to play it the first year and pass on other cards you would rather not pass on. Later in the game you give it away. It doesn't matter unless you need the color and you have the credits.

Remember that the game comes down to not only optimizing your own station but in making sure that you aren't feeding your opponent through the draft mechanic. Half the agony/strategy/experience that we have enjoyed is in knowing that I have to watch out handing that Turret/Transportation Platform/Crews Quarters over to my wife. Don't even get me started on her Medical Facility strategy. For some reason she can get those things purring out VPs like no others.

I have enjoyed the relatively simple, straightforward nature of Among the Stars that has still provided a hug-load of strategy and several different paths for victory. You have VP blitz, End of game points grab, balanced attack, and Objectives. Conflict cards add another element though can reinforce objectives if the corresponding conflict/objective cards are in play. In my mind, it is as approachable as Seven Wonders and Alhambra with so much more strategy.

I hope both of you do give it a chance. I'm looking forward to the game and all the booster incentives are just that much more frosting on the cake. Even if it isn't the cats meow for you that scratches every itch in the world, I believe its going to be a game that sees the table on a regular basis and will be well worth the money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vangelis Bagiartakis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I said in another thread:

avyssaleos wrote:
The game has various types of abilities and this was done on purpose.

There are abilities on locations, based on where you place them. Others look at what else you have on your Station. Others depend on what your opponents are doing and so on. There are even some that are good in the early years (ie Sports Arena) and some that are good later in the game (ie Energy Market).

In the game, there are many cards that help you build a strategy around them. However, there are also some cards that are "situational" - you have to play them at the right time to get the most out of them. This creates some interesting moments where you are torn between playing a card for few points in order to follow a specific strategy, or play one that happens to give you many points right now.

Sports Arena is one of those cards. You won't build your Station around it but if you manage to build one early, it will give you a nice bonus without asking much from you. Even later in the game though, it's quite a decent card - you won't feel bad for playing it, even during the last year.

Btw, it may not be obvious at first but the ability fits to the card's theme: The earlier you build a Sports Arena in your station, the more matches you are going to have there so the more "valuable" it's going to be!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contig
United States
flag msg tools
(this is not a hint)
badge
(this is still the old picture and I am too lazy to update it)
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if it was clear, but my suggestion is for this specific card, rather than any reflection on the game in general. Most of the cards are balanced against each other precisely with cost/coin ratio.

I guess my issue is this location doesn't seem "situational" at all. My experience has been that it's an auto-play in the first few rounds and an autopass early in the last round because it's the same for all players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vangelis Bagiartakis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
contiguity wrote:
I guess my issue is this location doesn't seem "situational" at all. My experience has been that it's an auto-play in the first few rounds and an autopass early in the last round because it's the same for all players.

I wouldn't call it an auto-play even under these circumstances.

Let's say you have a Turret in the same hand. Which one do you take? And what if you already have a Turret in your station and this is the 2nd one you see? Will you pass it to the next players (likely never to see it again) in favour of the Arena?

Obviously this is just an example - my point is that I don't think any card is an auto-pick. It always depends on what you have already in front of you.

However it is true, that during the first round it is quite good and you usually want to play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.