Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Miller
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've been playing this game quite a bit lately after recently discovering it. Someone in our game group posed the question why we liked it so much...here was my response:

I like to use a term I read somewhere else: "Simple Elegance." Some describe it as "Chess with cards." It's smooth, yet tense; easy and quick, yet it requires focused thought. It's two decks of 25 cards. That's it.

You are in control one minute, then suddenly on the verge of being eliminated the next. The game swings and fluctuates unexpectedly. A Jester who makes his way into the Inner Circle most often means a blood bath is about to ensue. Ministers are powerful but the 'game within the game' is who can hold onto theirs the longest.

Sometimes you are so focused on a particular objective that you lose sight of the fact that you are down to one Noble in the Inner Circle. Can you find a way to stay alive long enough to fight back? The Inner Circle timing mechanism is brilliant.

I've seen a single game end in 6 turns. I've seen a single game last 20 minutes. I've lost when the score was in the 30s for both sides. I won a game the other night 1-0. About the time you think you know how to win, the strategy seems to no longer be viable.

I played a quick game with a friend last Saturday. It was the first time he had played...halfway through the game he smiled and said, "This game is blowing my mind!" Very cool to watch someone new react that way!

It will take a handful of games to truly appreciate and understand it. And, fair warning, when you peel back the layers, it does require the ability to do math - simple addition. It's $6 and a game you can take anywhere. It's a filler whether you have 5 minutes or 30.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Williamson
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a fantastic little filler. My wife and I normally bring it out first for one or two games before playing something a bit more meaty, such as Morels or Innovation.

Agreed regarding the fluctuations. A friend said something similar insofar as each game normally takes on a number of different stages: frantic elimination of the Inner Circle, consolidation of the Outer Circle, bids to accumulate card in the Inner Circle for a well placed Lady In Waiting (whilst avoiding the other player's Minister)... The list goes on and varies game to game.

For the price, it's a must have. Jim, if you've not tried it, you should definitely check out Richard James's other card game for Z-Man, Lords of Scotland, which is in fact even better and available at a similar price point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Miller
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rompa wrote:
Jim, if you've not tried it, you should definitely check out Richard James's other card game for Z-Man, Lords of Scotland, which is in fact even better and available at a similar price point.

Tom, I need to give LoS another try...I played it only once and our game was cut off part way through for some reason. Thanks for the recommendation!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
flag msg tools
You Greeks are always children!
badge
Jean Gabin in La Grande Illusion
mbmbmbmbmb
Some reviews are fun to read, some are tedious. Yours just made a brief, well-tuned pitch: I purchased it directly from Z-man immediately after reading your review. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Richardson
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
August222 wrote:
Some reviews are fun to read, some are tedious. Yours just made a brief, well-tuned pitch: I purchased it directly from Z-man immediately after reading your review. Thanks.

The title was a bit misleading, but I agree, I love reading brief synopsis impressions like these. I know the original poster didn't intend it as a review, as I'm clueless how the actual game plays after reading it, but it was enough to really intrigue me. I'm always looking for quick, strategic fillers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.