Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Kamphaus
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hyper Emergency Response Ordnance (temporary name)

(If anyone has some better ideas for the words, please let me know, Ordnance is the one word I'm not sure about, couldn't think up any better O words for him.)

Final choice: Hyper Emergency Response Operative

Folder for the cards.
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/vbbri95rzbubj/Complete

Bio:
Birthplace: Eaken-Rubendall Laboratories

Seeing the need to handle dangers when a superhero was not available, Dr. Stinson began working on Project HERO, a project dedicated to building the ultimate robotic hero. Unfortunately she was unable to finish it on her own. It wasn't long until she heard of a young technopath by the name of Devra Caspit. Soon afterwards Caspit joined Dr. Stinson at Eaken-Rubendall Laboratories. Together they worked on Project HERO and were able to complete it and H.E.R.O. was born.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

H.E.R.O.
HP: 29
Power:
Assemble - Play a module card.

Incapacitated
-One hero may use a power now.
-Destroy an environment card.
-Select an equipment card in a hero trash. Put it into play.

Equipment (13 total)

1x Energy Beam (equipment, module, arm)
Power: H.E.R.O. deals 1 target 4 energy damage.
When this card enters play, if there are 3 or more arm cards in play, destroy all but 2 of them.

1x Tactical Missiles (equipment, module, arm)
Power: Destroy a target with 3 or fewer HP.
When this card enters play, if there are 3 or more arm cards in play, destroy all but 2 of them.

1x Taser Beam (equipment, module, arm)
Power: H.E.R.O. deals 1 target 2 lightning damage. Until the start of your next turn, reduce all damage dealt by that target by 1.

1x Flamethrower (equipment, module, arm)
Power: H.E.R.O. deals up to 3 targets 2 fire damage each.

1x Targeting Computer (equipment, module, head)
Increase damage dealt by H.E.R.O. by 1.
When this card enters play, destroy all other head cards in play.

1x Super Computer (equipment, module, head)
At the start of your turn, you may draw a card.

1x Hazard Alert Sensors (equipment, module, head)
Reduce damage dealt by environment cards by 1.
Power: Reveal the top card of the environment deck and either discard it or replace it.

1x Adaptive Shielding (equipment, module, body)
After H.E.R.O. is dealt damage, H.E.R.O. becomes immune to that type of damage until the start of your next turn.
When this card enters play, destroy all other body cards in play.

1x Reinforced Armor (equipment, module, body)
Reduce damage dealt to H.E.R.O. by 1.

1x Energy Conversion Unit (equipment, module, body)
The first time H.E.R.O. is dealt damage each turn, H.E.R.O. deals 1 target that much energy damage.

1x Auxiliary Core (equipment, module, core)
You may play an additional card during your play phase.
When this card enters play, destroy all other core cards in play.

1x Energized Core (equipment, module, core)
You may use an additional power during your power phase.

]1x Recovery Core (equipment, module, core)
Increase H.E.R.O.'s HP Recovery by 1.

Ongoings (8 total)

2x Target Lock (ongoing, limited)
Damage dealt by H.E.R.O. is irreducible.
At the start of your turn, destroy this card.

2x Transfer Power to Weapons (ongoing, limited)
Increase damage dealt by H.E.R.O. by 2.
Increase damage dealt to H.E.R.O. by 2.
At the start of your turn, destroy this card.

2x Transfer Power to Shields (ongoing, limited)
H.E.R.O. cannot deal damage.
Reduce damage dealt to H.E.R.O. by 2.
At the start of your turn, you may destroy this card.

2x Activate Thrusters (ongoing, limited)
Reduce damage dealt to H.E.R.O. by non-target environment cards by 1.

One-shots (13 total)

3x Module Installation
Search your deck for a module card. Put it into play. Shuffle your deck.
You may draw a card.

3x Hazard Control
Destroy 1 ongoing or environment card.
Each hero target regains 1 HP.

3x Salvage
Shuffle your trash into your deck.
You may draw a card.
You may play a card.

2x Hyper Assault
H.E.R.O. deals himself 3 energy damage. If he takes damage this way, you may draw a card, play a card, and use a power now.

2x Field Recon
Reveal the top card of each hero deck and either discard it or replace it.
You may draw a card.

Misc (6 total)

2x Tanglecoil Binding (Snare)
HP: 5
Play this card next to a non-hero target.
That target cannot deal damage.
At the start of your turn, if this card is next to a character card, destroy this card.
If the target leaves play, destroy this card.

3x Medical Drone (Device Drone)
HP: 6
At the end of your turn, up to 3 hero targets regain 1 HP each.

1x Wingnut (Device, Drone)
HP: 10
At the end of your turn, this card deals 1 target 3 energy damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scautura _
United Kingdom
Bracknell
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: Custom Hero: H.E.R.O.
Operative...

Hyper Emergency Response Operative - should work, although if the character is robotic, then I think Ordnance could be entirely appropriate (especially given the way people are "Human Resources" - a dehumanised name - when it comes to companies).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Burton
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
He looks very, very neat! I really like the localized modules.

Hmm. acronyms....

Hazardous Environment Robotic Operative?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
Laser, check, but where are the dynamite cards? It's all about the dynamite.

And it's a helicopter pack, not jet boots.

Didn't you listen to Tina Turner? We don't need another H.E.R.O.

(Name aside, I quite like the modules! Great ideas!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kamphaus
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Realized something tonight, my EMP Shockwave needs renamed. An EMP is not really gonna affect all villains.

I used the alternate version I made that returns the modules, think I may be keeping that one as the main one. If I were forced to destroy them then that would leave me with even less cards to use.

He played really well my first game tonight. While I can't reveal much about the Ennead it's the environment that really helped me out this time, those that are playtesters may be able to understand what The Ennead were doing though.

1st game: H.E.R.O., Tempest, and The Red Mask vs The Ennead in Megalopolis.
(Heroes were in that order)

I got my Jet boots out early in the game, so whenever Cramped Quarters Combat came out I was immune to all damage. Tempest kept us alive with his Cleansing Downpour but eventually it was too much for him. Towards the end, Tempest and Red Mask were both incapacitated, at the same time, so it was only H.E.R.O. left. Tempest was letting me bring out my EMP Shockwave each turn from the trash, while Red Mask was letting me use a power or play a card, plus once Rooftop Combat came out, I was fine, because I had also gotten my Recovery Core out and then they were allowing me to heal, so got to use the power 3 times each round, though the villain got to go again, but soon we stopped them again, but every time we thought we were going to win, we had a new target to take care of. Once I was forced to play my Hazard Control to destroy Rooftop Combat, which unlocked the environment again, then later I was forced to use Overload to destroy all my modules, so took some time to get some back, thankfully I got my Super Computer out to draw additional card, so was drawing 3 by skipping my play and power phases to start with so I could build back up my hand first, then was playing cards thanks to Red Mask. Eventually I got my Energy Beam out and was then dealing 12 damage a round thanks to being able to use it 3 times cause of the other 2 heroes so we evnetually won.

2nd game: Legacy, H.E.R.O., Wraith, and Visonary vs The Chairman in Realm of Discord.

In my 2nd game with him we were fighting The Chairman and I didn't draw many modules, I actually started with 2 head modules but can only have 1 in play, though my Hazard Alert Sensors did help avoid some bad cards in the Environment. My EMP Shockwave didn't help much against The Chairman unless he had The Broker and The Informat, as The Operative doesn't play a card, she just puts an underboss into play and they don't play the thugs, they bring them into play. He ended up only dealing 3 damage that whole game with a Freeze Ray, boosted by my Targeting Computer, before The Chairman pulled Prison Break and brought back all his Underbosses We were all like 5 HP and Legacy was forced to play a Heroic Interception that killed himself so we stopped the game, we also had to pack up anyway so it was better to call it than to try and drag it out.

So he seems pretty decent so far when seeing my first game, but just had bad draws his 2nd, he had 2 Overload, Salvage, 2 Transfer Power to Weapons, and a Hyper Assault in his hand towards the end. All pretty useless when I have only 1 damaging power and only 2 modules in play, and didn't want to Salvage my Hazard Alert Sensors back cause I had Targeting Computer out. I may need to add a draw to one of his one shots.

EDIT:
I've decided to change 2 of his one-shots, one for slightly more drawing power, the other for a more thematic use. I also changed his main pdf to the one with the returning modules. I've also changed the EMP Shockwave to Electrosonic Wave for now, unless I can come up with a better name.

2x Hyper Assault
You may use a power now.
Draw a Card.

2x Overload
Destroy all your module cards.
H.E.R.O. deals up to 5 targets x fire damage each, where x = the number of cards destroyed this way.
(figured this should hit more than one target as it's like an explosion so I also lowered the damage to 1x instead of the 2x that a single target would take)

I've also added a short bio. Will expand on it when I can think of more.

07-31-12:
Btw, I'd like to point out that the Laser Netting idea came from a post by Matt Slowiak (Gnipp) in the Spiderman thread. I had trouble thinking of my final cards so looked over others for ideas that would work well with my theme and the Sticky Webbing he mentioned looked perfect, though I added the HP to it, so it shows that they can still break out of it with some help. Similar to a card like chastise, but only prevents damage dealt by the target and instead of dealing you damage, it has an HP value on it.

It also makes for a very nice story too, use it on the plummeting monorail to try and save the train from falling, but then the villain tries to destroy the netting so that the train will start to plummet again.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/787903/spider-man-work-i...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He's nifty. I like the modular approach. He reminds me (surprise surprise) of Modular Man from Wild Cards.

I am concerned that Hazard Alert Sensors might be too versatile. Maybe dial it back to just the Villain or Environment decks? That preserves the essential "what's going to happen next?" aspect without opening up deck manipulation stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kamphaus
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I'll do that. The head modules were tough to think of after targeting computer, that one especially.

Decided to tweak him just a bit. I knew Jet Boots was too powerful since most damage is melee but wasn't sure how to change it, then I thought of Legacy's Next Evolution card.

So here's the new Jet Boots:

Jet Boots
Equipment, Module, Limited
Power: H.E.R.O. is immune to melee damage until the start of your next turn.

It's not as powerful as Legacy's card, but it fits the theme. So basically if he has these and no weapons then he's a bit safer while he prepares, and if he has his Auxilary Core then he can fight and use these. They may change again if I find another way without them being overpowered but this is better for now.

Renamed Electrosonic Wave to Sonic Disruptor.

EDIT: 10/30
Changed a few things.

Sonic Disruptor changed to Sonic Disruption.
Laser Netting changed to Energy Net, then changed to Tanglecoil Binding.
Changed Overload to include all non-hero targets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kamphaus
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Added pictures now and changed to full color, included a playtest file for anyone who still wants to just try him out before printing in full color. I've also changed his Character Card.

EDIT: 1/10
I've taken out Overload, didn't ever use it unless when forced to, he does not like to get rid of his modules as he only has single copies, unlike Wraith who has multiples of her equipment. Thus I've increased Hyper Assault to 3 cards and Hazard Control to 4.

I've added a line to Tanglecoil Binding to destroy it when the target it's next to leaves play.

I've changed Hazard Alert Sensors as it felt very underpowered compared to the other options I had, I try to keep the options equal in usefulness. So it now reads like this.

Hazard Alert Sensors (equipment, module, head)
Play with the top card of the villain and environment decks revealed.
At the start of your turn, you may discard 1 card. If you do, place the top card of the villain or environment deck on the bottom of the corresponding deck.
When this card enters play, return any other head cards in play to your hand.

I may change the start of turn option, but need to test this version first.

I've also included an updates file for the color cards with the changes and extra cards added.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kamphaus
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Changed Hazard Alert Sensors once again, the previous one above was too powerful, especially when combined with [REDACTED].

Hazard Alert Sensors (equipment, module, head)
Reduce damage dealt by environment cards by 1.
Power: Look at the top 2 cards of the environment deck. Put 1 on top of the environment deck and the other on the bottom.
When this card enters play, return all other head cards in play to your hand.

I've also removed the irreducible damage from Shock Beam. It's still strong against mobs without damage reduction though.

I've also changed the updates file to include these 2 changes in B&W as well as color.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Fehlberg
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think he has far too many "one of's" with no tutor effects it seems as if he would have inconsistent gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kamphaus
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many changes to this guy, did a lot of testing with him recently, after I finally got Whiplash's testing finished. Made constant changes to him to test out so didn't bother adding those updates, instead waited till he seemed finished.

Here's a quick list of changes:

Removals
1x Hazard Control
1x Module Installation
1x Jet Boots
1x Auxiliary Core
2x Sonic Disruption
1x Sonic Pulse
1x Freeze Ray

Changed Cards
Module Installation - Made it a search card
Recovery Core - removed DR and changed from power to end of turn discard to heal.
Energized Core - changed from increasing damage to extra power use because of removing Auxiliary Core
Super Computer - changed to start of turn draw
Rocket Launcher - renamed to Tactical Missiles
Hyper Assault - added damage cost and a play
Jet Boots - removed limited keyword since there's only 1 now
Wingnut - higher res picture and keyword change
Salvage - shuffles trash, draws a card, and plays a card instead of putting card into play from trash
Shock Beam - gave it Freeze Ray's power
Tanglecoil Binding - keyword change

Additions
3x Quick Recon
3x Healing Drone
1x Mini Gun
1x Shoulder Launcher

Here's what the new cards do:

Quick Recon (one-shot)
Reveal the top card of each hero deck and either discard it or replace it.
You may draw a card.

Healing Drone (Support Drone)
HP: 6
At the end of your turn, up to 3 hero targets regain 1 HP each.

Mini Gun (equipment, module, shoulder)
Power: H.E.R.O. deals all non-hero targets 1 projectile damage each.
When this card enters play, return all other shoulder cards in play to your hand.

Shoulder Launcher (equipment, module, shoulder)
Power: H.E.R.O. deals 1 target 2 projectile damage and 1 fire damage.
When this card enters play, return all other shoulder cards in play to your hand.

With the removal of 2 arm modules and addition of 2 shoulder modules he can now have another power out so with energized core and hyper assault you'll have enough choices. He needed a bit more support so I tried having a power to heal 5 targets 1 HP each but using that instead of a damage power just seemed wrong, so I added the Healing Drones instead. Without outside help, both Energy Beam and Shoulder Launcher can get up to 5 damage with Targeting Computer, but Shoulder Launcher can get high with Transfer Power but that card itself is risky. So far he's played pretty decently. I balanced out a few modules after I made the search card, so he couldn't get DR 2 or +2 damage from his modules.

I've also changed his hero icon and his incapacitated side art. I've included his card backs as well.

I could still use some feedback on this guy since I've made a lot of changes but there doesn't seem to be any major problems with him.

After viewing the files online I noticed it didn't use the same fonts. So to make things easier for some, I've gone and converted all the text in my files to images, that way you don't need the right font to print them out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kamphaus
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Added images of the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Sweet card back. Did you draw it? I don't recognize the comic. If that answer is somewhere in the original post it will be apparent that I didn't reread it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kamphaus
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's parts from the Champions Online comics that show during the loading screens. I found the panels and the blue background, then layered them and adjusted the comic transparency.

EDIT: Fixed the blacks on my cards thanks to tosx.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's some quotes to help inspire you to polish up the cards.

Hazard Control: "Don't go in there! It won't be safe for biologics for another 34 seconds." - Devra Caspit, Industrial Smog #2

Module Installation: "The X-94e transistors just arrived. Time to weaponize!" - Tachyon, Science & Progress One-Shot

Salvage: "Did somebody say 'Spare parts'?" - Unity, Freedom Five #540

Pinpoint Sensors: "Stay on target. Stay on target!" - Devra Caspit, Singularity #7

Transfer Power to Weapons: Tachyon: "It wasn't designed to operate without defensive systems." Devra: "Have faith, sister." - Industrial Smog #13

Tanglecoil Binding: "Get this ... thing offa' ... *hurk!*" - Pierre le Vignierz, La Paradoja Magnifica One-Shot

Hyper Assault: Devra: "How'd it-? ... Where'd that remote control come from?" Tachyon: "I have a knack for speed." - A H.E.R.O. is Born One-Shot

Targeting Computer: "These monitors display H.E.R.O.'s optic intake. I have it linked to my HUD, too." - Tachyon, Singularity #7

Super Computer: "I mostly control the unit from afar but this processor upgrade'll automate many routine tasks." - Devra Caspit, A H.E.R.O. is Born One-Shot

Hazard Alert Sensors: "It calculates all the possible outcomes and reacts before danger presents itself. Even I'd call it fast." - Tachyon, Industrial Smog #1

Adaptive Shielding: "Aw! But I saw it first...." - Unity, Singularity #4

Reinforced Armor: "Not technically accurate, since it's a gold titanium alloy, but...." - Tachyon, Gearheads #2

Energy Conversion Unit: "The jarring feedback is what gave me the idea." - Devra Caspit, Science & Progress One-Shot

Jet Boots: "You try handling an integrated targeting system and suppressing vertigo at the same time!" - Devra Caspit, A H.E.R.O. is Born One-Shot

Energized Core: "So much power ... so many options!" - Devra Caspit, Gearheads #1

Recovery Core: "Why won't you die already!?" - Blade Battalion, Burying the Blade #6

Energy Beam: Tachyon: "Do you remember what you said about quantum chromodynamics?" Omnitron-X: "Negative. I didn't say it yet." - Justice Comics #604

Flamethrower: "Where does he get such wonderful toys?" - Ambuscade, Freedom Five Annual #11

Tactical Missiles: "No-one threatens hostages when the Hyper Emergency Response Operative is on the job!" - Devra Caspit, A H.E.R.O. is Born One-Shot

Shock Beam: "Withstanding the ocean's pressure makes H.E.R.O. ideal for defending outside Atlantis. The saline concentration only makes it more so." - Tachyon, Turning the Tides #81

Mini Gun: "So, do you even need me anymore?" - Bunker, Freedom Five #544

Shoulder Launcher: "Subtle." - Wraith, Freedom Five #541

Quick Recon: "I know just what to do." - Nightmist, Burying the Blade #4

Healing Drone: "It is a combination of my innervation ray technology and the S-85 series drone. My contribution to your project." - Omnitron-X, A H.E.R.O. is Born One-Shot

Wingnut: "A simple design. No problem controlling both units at once." - Devra Caspit, Industrial Smog #5

And while you're at it, there's an extra period in Transfer Power to Weapons.

You might make the Pinpoint Sensors a Head Module and not destroy itself, possibly re-naming it as Target Lock System. In that case, you'd only need one copy of it. That frees up a card for something else. I'd like to see the reverse of Transfer Power to Weapons. Perhaps

Transfer Power to Shields
Ongoing, Limited
H.E.R.O. cannot deal damage.

Reduce damage dealt to H.E.R.O. by 2.

At the start of your turn, [you may] destroy this card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kamphaus
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love those quotes and thanks for pointing out that mistake.

As for the Pinpoint Sensors, making something that always makes my attacks irreducible seems a bit too strong for this guy. I've considered it before. It works fine for Mr. Fixer as his damage is rather low to begin with, non-promo. Plus 3 head modules is enough, I started with 3 of each and 6 arm modules, if I make too many options for each slot it could get messy. I may rename the card though, I tried Pinpoint Accuracy before but didn't sound right, maybe Target Lock could be the new name.

Transfer Power to Shields sounds like a decent card, but he is more damage/support focused, if he were more tank focused, as in redirecting damage to him, then I might consider that card. I do have another hero design in mind that uses some energy shields though and he will be a tank, it may come in handy for that guy.

No more updates tonight, I'll work on those quotes after work tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kamphaus
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I decided to try out the Transfer Power to Shields card. Any ideas on a quote for it?

I've uploaded it as HERO Test Card.pdf. Want to try it out before officially changing anything. Replace 1 copy each of Hyper Assault and Quick Recon to make room for it. Those 2 cards don't really need 3 of each anyway so even if this card doesn't work out I could always use those spots for something else or tweak the card some.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Transfer Power to Shields: "Two in the loft, one lurking behind the tractor, and I'm tracking two drones blitzing up your flanks. Your surrounded!" - Tachyon, Gearheads #4

I'm really eager to see these finalized. I've been telling people about this deck and I want it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kamphaus
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Figured some people would at least like to see the cards with quotes so I've uploaded a file with the quotes added in. I've kept the old file without quotes just in case. I've also changed a few things. Added my own HP box design, Unity has her own so why not other heroes too? Visionary stayed with the default one because she only has the 1 target in her deck.

Quick Recon changed to Field Recon.
Pinpoint Sensors changed to Target Lock.
Changed images for my cores.

Still testing the new card before making changes to the original post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't realize you had the quotes integrated in a separate place. The PDF is rather convenient.

I really like that you replicate the language used on published cards as near as possible. I just checked Motivational Charge (Legacy), Holy Nova (Fanatic), and Cleansing Downpour (Tempest), and they all say "Each hero target regains..." as opposed to "All hero targets regain..." which is about as minor a point as possible, but considering you're this close to exact, you might wanna know for Hazard Control.

A period is missing from H.E.R.O.'s name on Recovery Core.

How would you feel about making Power Core say "During your Power Phase, you may discard 1 card. If you do, you may use an additional power." This means both Cores are fueled the same way so that the player decides which to play based on desire and need instead of taxes. Both a power use and the HP recovery are about as beneficial.

Excellent work here. Seriously excellent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kamphaus
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fixed the typos and changed Energized Core. He does seem to have enough draw power and may be the change I needed to fine tune his balance a bit.

I've also uploaded a new Updates file with just the changes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
I was a little disappointed when I saw this thread - I thought this might of been an adaption of the Atari 2800 H.E.R.O. for SOTM. Yes, I just showed my age. wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kamphaus
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now I understand what the other guy was talking about.

Never heard of that game before, got plenty of other Atari games though.

EDIT: Renamed HERO (quotes).pdf to HERO.pdf. Figured since I added the quotes, that may be the preferred download over the one without. Plus it's easier to deal with only a few files.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kamphaus
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Been working on improving my templates even more and giving them an option to turn on a print border to make them ready for Printer Studio and possibly others if they use same printing template.

Uploaded a large card sheet instead of the smaller groups from my deck file. This new one only shows 1 of each card so you at least know what they will look like. My list still tells how many of each card there is and the PDF file still has all copies of the cards. This makes it easier to see all the cards at once and probably saves a bit of space too. With my templates it's easy enough for me to alter each file when I do an update and the large image is easier than the smaller ones.

I'll provide a link to a zip file with the individual images needed to send to a printer when this hero is fully complete. I still need to test a few of the newer things, but shouldn't be too much longer till this guy is done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Huge congratulations on this character, Koga. My friends and I have played him a few times now and he's really well done.

One game vs. La Capitan, I was using H.E.R.O and even though she kept blowing up our stuff, I always had some module in hand with a damage-dealing power. So, while H.E.R.O. was capable of faltering for a bit, he actually never did. Although, he could've improved over time, at least he was able to maintain under dire circumstances.

I was lucky to begin two games with Hyper Assault. There's some people that seriously fear any effect that'll harm their own hero, but I always figure that the hero must be designed to function. After all, Nightmist's best power is Investigation. The groove was to deal H.E.R.O. 3 energy damage, draw for slightly better starting options, play a non-module card to assist with set-up (a drone or Module Installation works well), then use Assemble to play an arm or shoulder module, ending the play phase, then use the power on the arm or shoulder module to deal damage turn 1. If he didn't draw an arm or shoulder module yet, he can search for it with Module Installation and use Assemble to play a body, head, or core module.

Turns out that Hyper Assault is even better with Energy Conversion Unit, since the 3 energy damage can also be used offensively.

La Capitan's deck has a habit of attacking the lowest HP hero target. H.E.R.O. was able to deploy drones and Tanglecoil Binding to help protect the weaker heroes, merely by introducing a low HP hero target, similar to Visionary or Unity, but easier to do. Just as things started humming nicely (I got up to 5 cards in play), some cool combos were syncing and the 2 lowest targets needed to take 4 damage each. That meant one of my drones and either H.E.R.O. or Chrono Ranger, as they were tied at 8 HP. I volunteered to take the hit again, since it meant dealing 4 damage, also. Sadly, another 4 damage sought the lowest HP hero target immediately after and H.E.R.O. went down. Well, it was either Jimmy or a robot, so we figured H.E.R.O. could be rebuilt and at least he was able to take that last shot. Good thing he leapt in the way of that attack, too, since Chrono Ranger just started stacking up the bounty bonuses. Incapacitated, H.E.R.O. continuously allowed Argent Adept to use a power, which meant the rest of the team was healing up and Chrono Ranger was playing more cards than usual, dealing 7 damage about six times per round before reloading his hand cannon. We'd won with only one casualty. Considering H.E.R.O.'s strength and the fact that he was the only character we lost, everyone agreed he was balanced. And it was a blast.

I have played him a few times by now and each game varies, of course, but this hero never disappoints and gives the impression that he's still him, no matter what modules you choose or the order his cards are drawn in. It's cohesive and offers personality.

My experience so far is that he has interesting ways for his various effects to build off each other and doesn't require those things to be effective. There's a lot of customization options to suit personal taste or fit the needs of the fight. He plays well, is easy to understand, stands out as a distinct character, and has unique abilities to offer a team.

To anyone who hasn't yet tried this character, it's only a print-and-play away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.