Subject: Do NPCs trigger Enter functions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had assumed not since the rules only mention operatives triggering them. However the Hologram Projection item card reads:

"Each time an operative or NPC enters the room, he ignores all Enter functions and item card effects in this room and immediately moves in the same direction to the next room, if able..."

That would seem to imply that NPCs do (or can) trigger Enter functions. So what do you think FFG intended?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dion Baxter
United Kingdom
Canterbury
Kent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless the card specifically includes NPCs I personally would not have triggered the effect (I would assume they knew their way around the facility).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it means that the NPC ignores all of his own printed "When he enters the room" text, like "destroy all of the DF tokens in the room" (sorry I don't have the cards in front of me to be more specific).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the rules "Enter Function" specifically describes the Enter text on a room card. I initially interpreted the language quoted in the OP as meaning that NPCs trigger Enter Functions. But this is not necessarily true--the syntax could just as easily mean that the NPC ignores all relevant item card effects (ones that effect NPCs) and moves immediately to the next room if able.

A perusal or the rules suggests this is the case:

Quote:
Enter Function: Some rooms contain elements that react when operatives enter them. Each time an operative enters a room with an Enter function, that player immediately resolves that function.

Enter Functions relate to Operatives only.

I'm not sure if the NPC would still perform a "When you enter the room" action. The "immediately" bit is the part that makes me question that, though--Enter Function refers strictly to Room Cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, there are only 3 rooms with Enter functions and after reading them it wouldn't make sense that an NPC trigger them. I guess expansion rooms could have text that specifies that their Enter function is triggered by an NPC and/or an operative.

By the way, it would make more sense to me if Buckyballs and Sludge delayed NPCs for a round. That Tyrone Kent guy would slip for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.