Hide
6 Posts

Cosmic Encounter» Forums » Rules

Subject: Timing Issue rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roberta Yang
msg tools
The timing is irrelevant; the one-Flare-per-turn limit means you can't play the Wild Parasite anyhow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shadow ruxer
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could use the variant in the rulebook called Freewheeling Flares. I like how there is no restriction and makes the game more chaotic!

Basically, you can use multiple flares per encounter but only ONCE per encounter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I like how the (presumably) deleted OP makes Roberta look like a crazy person.

I think that's going to be my new hobby: posting new threads containing only worrisome answers, and letting people wonder what question must have been deleted.

Subject: alternate way to resolve encounters?

"Well, for one thing, that's an animal tranquilizer; it's not intended for humans in the first place. For another, it is a bad, bad idea to mix alcohol with that sort of drug; I've only seen someone do that once, but it pretty much ruined her evening. Then there's the expense: destroying at least two cards per encounter (since you're probably not going to want to reuse them) means you probably have to buy a new copy every time you play (or use sleeved proxies). And, finally, it sounds like what you're proposing would make the game too slow; the human digestive system just doesn't work quickly enough to make it worth waiting around to see whether it's an attack or a negotiate which comes out the other end."

Subject: confused about Reveal phase

"Definitely not, and you probably shouldn't play any games with anyone who refuses to let you see the rulebook. The rules are clear that you're revealing the card you played during the Planning phase; there's definitely nothing in there about taking your shirt off."

Subject: Where Can I Find A Parts List?

"No, that doesn't sound right; I don't know about the 2011 FFG edition, but the 2008 FFG edition came with little plastic flying saucers, not live ammunition."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
the_shadow447 wrote:
no restriction ... multiple flares per encounter but only ONCE per encounter.

To clarify, there is still a restriction. You can play any number of different flares each encounter, but none of those flares may be played multiple times per encounter. It's still once per flare.

kuhrusty wrote:

It's quite annoying when people do that, and just leads to a big waste of time for everyone else who's trying to help by answering the question. Fortunately, those of us who subscribe to the RSS feed got to read all of this in context. Here's the original post as delivered to my Outlook client:

ozzkore wrote:
Here's an interesting question that came up:

I settled my 4th foreign colony on someone's home planets. He lost his 3rd home planet, so he lost his alien power. I played a flare (I forget which one) that let me draw a card from him due to his loss. The card I drew was the Parasite flare, which stated:

When another player loses the use of his or her power due to having too few home colonies, you may immediately establish a colony on one of his or her home planets with one of your ships. (If that player regains his or her power and loses it again, you may use this flare again in that system.)
(As Any Player) (Any Phase)

The question we had was: could I have used the Parasite flare on him in order to settle my 5th colony and win the game? The reason we weren't sure is because I didn't have the Parasite card at the time of him losing the alien power, but after I played a flare that let me draw a card from him. Is there a timing issue here?

And, also to clarify, regardless of the deletion, we don't actually know that Roberta is not a crazy person. (I hope that's the case, though, since most of what she writes makes sense to me.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
Yin
badge
Yang
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:

Ah, okay. I was wondering. I thought maybe I was having a stroke.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
I think that's going to be my new hobby: posting new threads containing only worrisome answers, and letting people wonder what question must have been deleted.
Rusty, you simpleton. The real fun is when you write a question, get answers, then edit your question to make the answerers look like psychotic idiots. E.g.:

Question: "I have a pet nanny goat that keeps eating my board games whenever we play outside. What should I do?"

Answer: "Why not just tie her to a post while you're playing board games? Sure, she might complain, but who cares? By the way, do you keep her around for the milk, or do you plan on butchering and eating her some day?"

Edited question: "Sometimes I want to game with my buddies without my wife. How do I tell her this in a way that won't hurt her feelings?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.