Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Quinn
New Zealand
Auckland
none
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any suggestions for a game with a range of races to play as, different attributes and powers, etc?

Had high hopes for Dungeon Run but the gameplay (especially the "end game") fell a bit flat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chaos in the old world has it but I don't know how many games of it you want to play.

Runewars and such does it to.

There's massive variation in Cosmic encounter.

I don't know whatever you think Neuroshima Hex offers enough variation but that's one more.

I suppose many of the 2 player miniature games and war games got different armies/sides to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Roy
United Kingdom
Sutton
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the heavier economic side there's The Scepter of Zavandor and the upcoming Terra Mystica.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Ares Project
StarCraft: The Board Game
Eclipse
Summoner Wars
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jill Reid
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska (NE)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Small World has lots of races, attributes, and powers that switch up. Lots of variety in this game, especially if you add some of the expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffen Eichenberg
Germany
Bretten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
+1 for Cosmic Encounter

I do not know about the content of the new FFL version, but my older version from Hexa Games Cosmic Encounter contains

- 48 completely diffent races
- 7 styles of home planets/systems

The possible combinations with 4 players, let alone 6 players, is huuuuge. You will never play the same game twice. And i played it a lot in the two decades i own that game laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John F.
United States
Shelton
CT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Summoner Wars
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Yeti
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Summoner Wars +1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Brodeur
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jill e gamer wrote:
Small World has lots of races, attributes, and powers that switch up. Lots of variety in this game, especially if you add some of the expansions.

awesome game indeed

the best one in my collection!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue Moon

Also has lots of expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jill e gamer wrote:

+1!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Wilde
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slimo wrote:
Any suggestions for a game with a range of races to play as, different attributes and powers, etc?

Had high hopes for Dungeon Run but the gameplay (especially the "end game") fell a bit flat.

Are you interested in playing a single race throughout the game? Or are you interested in playing a variety of races/roles throughout a single game?

For example, in Summoner Wars and Cosmic Encounter, you choose your race at the start of the game, and then stick with them until the end of the game.

However, in Small World you select different races as you play. Your starting race will not be the same as the race with which you end the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jill e gamer wrote:

I'll blame the lateness of my posting for forgetting this since I own it. This is a game that can't be taken seriously. You have to fully embrace the sheer possible goofiness it offers, "Run in fear of my flying halflings." The actual placement/fighting aspect is actually kind of weak. Fills in the beer and pizza type of game. It's a pseudo filler game and main game due to it's play and length. If you play this seriously at all, it's going to be a dud.

Saying that, Summoner Wars and Cosmic Encounter are the two best picks so far for sheer variety and game play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
mbmbmbmbmb
Eclipse

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Quinn
New Zealand
Auckland
none
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teloric wrote:
slimo wrote:

Are you interested in playing a single race throughout the game? Or are you interested in playing a variety of races/roles throughout a single game?

For example, in Summoner Wars and Cosmic Encounter, you choose your race at the start of the game, and then stick with them until the end of the game.

However, in Small World you select different races as you play. Your starting race will not be the same as the race with which you end the game.

They don't need to be changeable during the game, just a game that has a variety of races available to play that feel different.
Defenders of the Realm possibly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Among the Stars

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slimo wrote:

Would also work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Variable powers is probably my favorite thing for a game to have

If you want massive variety (enough variable powers to last you multiple life times) with iconic powers that each player heavily identifies with as their one cool special thing they can do, then Cosmic Encounter. This is my favorite game

But if you want games where the races or whatever are as differentiated as possible with many facets of differentiation rather than just one big special signature they can do (but at the cost of less variation) then I'll recommend Chaos in the Old World

OR... if you're considering 2 player games... then there are many 2 player games that do variable races/powers/abilities EXTREMELY well. My current favorites are Claustrophobia, War of the Ring*, Summoner Wars*, Puzzle Strike*, BattleCON*, Yomi.

P.S. Small World, while not exactly one of my personal favorites, is a great recommendation if you prefer more conservative games -- many games with variable powers tend towards drama and chaos, but Small World is relatively tame and therefore more digestible for players who do not like chaos or unpredictability

*These games are usually played 2 player, but do support more than 2 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of great suggestions here already, so I'll try to list some that haven't been mentioned that I think qualify-

Battlestar Galactica- Each character has different abilities
Rex: Final Days of an Empire- drastically different race abilities.
Manhattan Project w/ Nations expansion- each player gets a unique country power to use
Ghost Stories- each taoist has a unique ability each turn
Merchants & Marauders- draft a unique captain at the beginning of the game
Carson City- every turn you pick a new character to take advantage of their power

Actually, now that I think about it, a TON of cooperative games give each player a unique power- Yggdrasil, Flash Point, Pandemic, etc.

I know some of these are pretty generic examples of variable powers, but I figured it's good to have some variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffen Eichenberg
Germany
Bretten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
SirHandsome wrote:
OR... if you're considering 2 player games... then there are many 2 player games that do variable races/powers/abilities EXTREMELY well. My current favorites are Claustrophobia, War of the Ring*, Summoner Wars*, Puzzle Strike*, BattleCON*, Yomi.

When mentioning Puzzle Strike, BattleCON and Yomi, the simpler but fun brother Flash Duel: Second Edition has to be mentioned, too. BtDTV has a nice video review: [geekurl=http://www.boardtodeath.tv/review/3084]Flash Duel Video Review[/geekurl].
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Quinn
New Zealand
Auckland
none
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) is what I had in mind, although I game with someone who has pre-ordered it already.

Not sure that variable power covers what I am thinking....maybe I haven't explained myself well enough..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buddha Meeple
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mb
Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.