9 Posts

Glory to Rome» Forums » Rules

Subject: Prison..can i build two of them? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
azerty qsdfgh
msg tools
Hi,

I know that you cannot have two identical building (same name) but is it different for the prison?
Let me explain why I think it could be. When you build a prison you stole a building and put it ON TOP of the prison (at least it's what it's said in the french rules) and the rules say that you cannot start a building if you have already a building of the same name IN FRONT OF YOU (once again french rules). So technically the prison is not in front of you as it is hidden by the building you stole.

Cyril

PS I had this dilemna during of 2-player game where I was completly loosing and just wanted to annoy my opponents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can definitely start a new Prison after previously having completed one, as long as you exchanged the Influence for another building of course. Just like you say, you don't at that point have a Prison in front of you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
azerty qsdfgh
msg tools
Is it an official rule or just based on experience ?

I just found a case where it could be a problem:
-I build a prison and steal a building (let call it BuildingA)
-i start another prison (according to you i'm allowed to do that)
-Someone completes a prison (another one..) and stole BuildingA from me. Now i have two prison in front of me...

Cyril

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cyril42 wrote:
Now i have two prison in front of me...

No, your prison under BuildingA would go with BuildingA if it was stolen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
azerty qsdfgh
msg tools
Gawain wrote:
cyril42 wrote:
Now i have two prison in front of me...

No, your prison under BuildingA would go with BuildingA if it was stolen.

Ok, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cyril42 wrote:
Is it an official rule or just based on experience ?

I just found a case where it could be a problem:
-I build a prison and steal a building (let call it BuildingA)
-i start another prison (according to you i'm allowed to do that)
-Someone completes a prison (another one..) and stole BuildingA from me. Now i have two prison in front of me...

Cyril

In this case, you wouldn't get the 2nd Prison.... they'd give you 3 influence from when they used the Prison's power to steal BuildingA from you. The Prison card from that player still sits in front of him (no longer doing anything, especially without the 3pts after it was finished).

What I'd like to know is...

I start a Temple
I then finish a Prison, and use it to steal another player's completed Temple.
... i take it that's not a legit move (The stolen Temple would go in front of me)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, you are not allowed to steal the Temple, as you already have that in front of you. Doesn't have to be the Temple, any building would be illegal to steal if you already have it (or have started it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gawain wrote:
Right, you are not allowed to steal the Temple, as you already have that in front of you. Doesn't have to be the Temple, any building would be illegal to steal if you already have it (or have started it).
Right... what I posted was just an example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know the OP was probably aware of this, but to others, the new Black Box edition rules (also found here: http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/78587/blackbox-edition-rul...) have clarification details and examples for every card in the game. I don't know if the I.V edition had that, but I have found it very useful in clearing up confusion on certain cards such as the prison.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.