Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd R
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know if seriously wounded crew members can bailout of the airplane?
Or are they assumed to be incapacitated, hence unable to jump?

I had a situation in my last mission where I had most of the crew bailout over Zone 1 before attempting a dangerous emergency landing. I left the seriously wounded man on the plane. I assumed that he could not jump and that I could not leave him alone to die. So, I left other men on the plane to make the landing and then he died from an extra wound he received during the crash landing. Could he have jumped?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kovacs
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously wounded crewmen cannot jump from a plane or do anything else (man a gun or other bomber equipment). They are pretty much considered incapacitated from their injuries. It's very hard to have to leave them behind on a stricken plane, but sometimes that is all that can be done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have heard stories about seriously wounded crewmen being pushed out of the planes - with a parachute - over occupied territorial in hope that they would get treatment since they wouldn't make it back to England.
But that is of course another situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Parsons
United Kingdom
Rochford
Essex
flag msg tools
We few,we happy few,we band of brothers;For he today that sheds his blood with me Shall be my brother: be he ne’er so vile;And gentlemen in England now-abed Shall think themself accurs’d they were no here That fought with us upon Saint Crispin’s day.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

As an aside....

I remember a story many years ago when a seriously wounded bomber crew member had both legs blown off by cannon shell, his crew decided he had more chance surviving (after turnoquets applied etc ) by german doctors.
they put his chute on him,gave him morphine, put his ripcord handle in his hand and pushed him out the door.
his chute seen to open some distance away, unfortunately I cant remember what happened to him, survived or not .

As an Ex Para i can say you DONT want to be pulling a chute when seriously hurting ..whistle

and it never happens in the old war movies...
watch the documentary "memphis belle" .. see belly landed B-17's and wounded crew on stretchers n drips removed from plane..

cracking good footage..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
Additionally,

http://www.klamathrowing.org/kingsley.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
mbmbmbmbmb
wolverinetoddy wrote:

Infomanohio is correct there are no official rules for SW crew to bailout of a stricken plane... BUT I have been playing around with a rule, due to the above mentioned, and other, historical narrative about these heroic men. I had posted my variant in the rules forum awhile back: Here. Take a look at them and see what you think.

Enjoy!
Jim

PS you can use this for the campaign game, as a few have already done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ian morris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Mids
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jasta6 wrote:
wolverinetoddy wrote:

Infomanohio is correct there are no official rules for SW crew to bailout of a stricken plane... BUT I have been playing around with a rule, due to the above mentioned, and other, historical narrative about these heroic men. I had posted my variant in the rules forum awhile back: Here. Take a look at them and see what you think.

Enjoy!
Jim

PS you can use this for the campaign game, as a few have already done.

This is the variant that saved Lord Flashheart's life in mission 46.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpl. Fields
South Africa
Hopelessly Surrounded
Isandlwana, Zululand
flag msg tools
<insert something pithy here>
badge
<insert something clever here>
mbmbmbmbmb
I just prop them up in the pilot's seat and ask them to keep the plane straight and level while I bail out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
mbmbmbmbmb
zuludawn wrote:
I just prop them up in the pilot's seat and ask them to keep the plane straight and level while I bail out.

Niiiiice! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
401k? More like .357
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zuludawn wrote:

GG for original "outside the plane" thinking. True leaders improvise, adapt and overcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd R
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the help.

In the end I had decided not leave the severely wounded pilot in question on the plane to die because of the history of the plane's crew, an intuitive version of Jim's nice table.

The navigator who landed the plane to try to save the severely wounded pilot flew 20 missions with the pilot. I found it hard to believe that after the two of them had been through so much together that the navigator would ever consider leaving the wounded pilot behind, but would do something heroic in an attempt to save him.

On a side note, I must say that one my favorite parts of doing this B-17 281st bomber group campaign is creating a narrative for my “crews” as well as reading all of the narratives that you guys putting together. There is quite the cast of characters in this bomb group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Mustang

Ashland
Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I know I've used the Rabbit's Foot to re-roll for a guy who was killed. I just couldn't let him go and knowing I might have used the re-roll. Of course now, I can't remember who it was or what happened to him. Have to go get out the notes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Mustang

Ashland
Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It was Haskins who is still alive and going for mission 16. Lucky bugger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.