Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

Agricola» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question Regarding Animals And Fireplace/Oven...Plus an occupation question..... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Merrick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick question, If I pick up say sheep, boars or cattle from their round cards.But I don't have enough room in the pastures, but I have the fireplace or oven can I immediatly change them to food? Also can I do the samething at harvest time with the animals I've bred that won't fit in the pastures either?

Occupation card 175 HEDGE KEEPER It says Whenever you build at least one fence, you can build up to 3 extra fences without paying the additional wood. Does this mean if I buy 2 fences for 2 wood, I get 6 extra fences as well? Or is it limited to only 3 free fences?

Cheers Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Munsch
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct on turning animals into food. But you only get three free fences when you build them, not three per wood put into building them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tootsie Roll
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
I came. I saw.
badge
I lost miserably.
mbmbmbmbmb
You can always cook animals taht you get immediately except during the harvest, when it is forbidden.

As for the fences, when you build fences you can get up to 3 extra fences. Buying 2 fences at once will only get you up to 3 extra fences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
seriousmedic wrote:
Quick question, If I pick up say sheep, boars or cattle from their round cards.But I don't have enough room in the pastures, but I have the fireplace or oven can I immediatly change them to food? Also can I do the samething at harvest time with the animals I've bred that won't fit in the pastures either?

You can convert them into food immediately upon picking them up. During harvest you can not convert them into food during the breeding phase. You can do it before though. So if you don't have room for the new cube you simply don't get it. If you have 3 or more cubes, of a given type, you can convert one before breeding and have room for the new one.

Quote:
Occupation card 175 HEDGE KEEPER It says Whenever you build at least one fence, you can build up to 3 extra fences without paying the additional wood. Does this mean if I buy 2 fences for 2 wood, I get 6 extra fences as well? Or is it limited to only 3 free fences?

I think this card means that you get up to 3 free fences if you build at least one with the fence action. Otherwise it would say 'for each fence you build...'.

edit: typos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merrick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jentinma wrote:
You can always cook animals taht you get immediately except during the harvest, when it is forbidden.

So what happens to the left over animals I breed at the harvest stage? (sorry only my second game)

Cheers for the quick replies Chris.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
seriousmedic wrote:
jentinma wrote:

So what happens to the left over animals I breed at the harvest stage? (sorry only my second game)

Cheers for the quick replies Chris.

If you don't have room for them they run away or whatever thematic thing they came up with. In game terms you get nothing! You essentially don't get to breed unless you have room for the new cubes.

Also converting them to food is not forbidden during harvest, only during the breeding phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Munsch
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to release the extras.

Kudos to everybody else for giving the correct answer to the question about animals to food. I had forgotten the restriction on new baby animals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawcomic
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
The stuff that dreams are made of...
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a huge discussion on this recently.

It's not correct that you can't cook during the harvest.

The only restriction is you can't cook babies or parents during the breeding phase. You technically can cook even during breeding, however. Just not parents or babies.

There is some debate as to what a "parent" is for this purpose.

Some feel you designate two of the animal as the parents.

Others, including me, feel that all animals of a type are deemed parents (since only 1 offspring results regardless of how many animals you have over 1. 2 sheep yield 1 offspring; 30 sheep yield 1 offspring).

Truthfully this is an issue that rarely really arises. Basically, it becomes an issue when you have two of an animal and no place to put a third. If you have three or more before breeding, you can just cook one off before the breeding phase.

Many simply say, to avoid confusion, that you can't cook during the breeding phase. Not technically correct, but makes it easier to grasp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike T
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Seriously?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merrick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another question, what does it mean when a card says Add 1, 5 and 9 to the current round. Place 1 wood on each corresponding round space? blush

Cheers Chris.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seriousmedic wrote:
Another question, what does it mean when a card says Add 1, 5 and 9 to the current round. Place 1 wood on each corresponding round space? :blush:
It means add 1, 5 and 9 to the current round number, and place 1 wood on each corresponding round space.

It really is just that straightforward.

For example, if it's currently round 3, you place 1 wood on the spaces for rounds 4 (3+1), 8 (3+5) and 12 (3+9). If any of those calculations take you past the end of the game (round 14), obviously you don't put the token on a space that doesn't exist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Krause
United States
California
flag msg tools
EDIT: the comment I originally left in this space made unwarranted assumptions about the tone of one of ryudoowaru's posts. I was unnecessarily flip, and I had no stake in the original exchange. Sorry for my rudeness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarvis
United States
Brisbane
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pakman2000 wrote:
"It really is just that straightforward."

Now, now, no need to be mean. It's exclusionary and elitist. Why are you trying to dissuade people from wanting to use the resources of this rich and accomplished community? If newbs bother you, just stay away from newb threads.

The phrase "Add *whatever* to the current round" is, at best, surrealist use of English, at least for those not already accustomed to 'Gric conventions. I definitely didn't find it especially comprehensible the first time I encountered it.

As a neutral 3rd party, I don't see how that was exclusionary and elitist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merrick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got thrown off by the add 9 as i was on round 8 so it just seemed weird

Another question, how much can bread can i bake with the fireplace? is it only 1 or as many as i want?
Also the same question for converting animals, 1 or unlimited?

Cheers Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seriousmedic wrote:
Another question, how much can bread can i bake with the fireplace? is it only 1 or as many as i want?
There is an icon at the bottom of each card with the baking symbol that shows you how many grain you can bake using that card in one Bake action. Compare, for example, the Fireplace to the Clay Oven and Stone Oven. The Clay Oven has a "1x" over the arrow, which indicates that you can do that conversion once per action. The Stone Oven has a "2x" over the arrow, which indicates that you can do that conversion twice per action. An arrow with no number over it (such as the one on the Fireplace) indicates that you can do that conversion as many times as you want (or, more appropriately, as many times as you have the Grain for) per action. You can, obviously, do the conversion fewer times than you are able; for instance, if you have 4 Grain, you do not have to convert all 4 into Food if you Bake Bread.

seriousmedic wrote:
Also the same question for converting animals, 1 or unlimited?
You may convert unlimited animals into food using the Fireplace or Cooking Hearts, and you do not require an Action to do so; it may be done at any time(*).

(*)...except during the Breeding Phase of a Harvest in the case where you do not have sufficient space to house the newly born animal. See the rulebook for more details on this.

Have you read through the Agricola Compedium? That is an extremely comprehensive clarification guide to the improvements, occupations and action spaces of the game, and while it is not meant as a continuous read, serves as an excellent resource to frequently asked questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Lawcomic wrote:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/832595/cooking-animals-s...

Yep, locked due to uncontrollable flaming not even 24 hours before this thread was posted.

So if the OP is wondering why there are replies like:

smcmike wrote:
Seriously?

it's because it seems almost comical that the exact same question was re-asked so shortly after the last discussion of it exploded the Agricola forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merrick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:
Lawcomic wrote:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/832595/cooking-animals-s...

Yep, locked due to uncontrollable flaming not even 24 hours before this thread was posted.

So if the OP is wondering why there are replies like:

smcmike wrote:
Seriously?

it's because it seems almost comical that the exact same question was re-asked so shortly after the last discussion of it exploded the Agricola forum.

Fair enough, but please remember some of us don't have time to go looking through other threads. Thanks for the answers that people gave.

Cheers Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
seriousmedic wrote:
Fair enough, but please remember some of us don't have time to go looking through other threads.

Yes, I know it would have taken an immense amount of time to read the top three thread titles in the Agricola "forums" panel before making a post. That's an unreasonable imposition for someone to have to put forth that much exhaustive effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merrick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:
seriousmedic wrote:
Fair enough, but please remember some of us don't have time to go looking through other threads.

Yes, I know it would have taken an immense amount of time to read the top three thread titles in the Agricola "forums" panel before making a post. That's an unreasonable imposition for someone to have to put forth that much exhaustive effort.

Point taken, I've always been a bit lazywhistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.