Nate Yourchuck
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Hi Everyone,

I've been playing boardgames and lurking on this site for many years, but I just signed up for an account earlier this week.

I'm working on an online game which combines the wordgame and deckbuilding genres. Each letter tile has a special ability that gets triggered when you play it in a word.

The game is available at http://wordfield.com/?bgg

I'm looking for a few people who are interested in playtesting. There are instructions and a playable game online.

I am trying to increase my game's player interaction level. A lot of deckbuilding games get criticized for being "solo multiplayer". If anyone has some suggestions about their favorite deckbuilding mechanics to increase competition I would really appreciate it!

Thanks,
Nate
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sevier
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let people play word off of another player's word like scrabble? You'd need to keep words out until the beginning of each player's turn, but it could be a fun mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Yourchuck
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Mephansteras wrote:
Let people play word off of another player's word like scrabble? You'd need to keep words out until the beginning of each player's turn, but it could be a fun mechanic.

Hi David, I think that is a really cool idea. Right now each letter tile has a special power similar to each card in Dominion or Ascension and players can play multiple words each turn. If I let people play off each word that might be a bit too much, but I'll try to think of some ways to give limited access to the previous words.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm forcing myself to resist the temptation to look at your game, because I've also been working on a deck-building word game over the past year!

You've likely been using frequency analyses in your balancing mechanic, but just in case you haven't... this might be helpful!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Letter_frequencies

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Yourchuck
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
KAndrw wrote:
I'm forcing myself to resist the temptation to look at your game, because I've also been working on a deck-building word game over the past year!

You've likely been using frequency analyses in your balancing mechanic, but just in case you haven't... this might be helpful!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Letter_frequencies

Good luck!

Andrew - please feel free to check out my game or send me info about your game. I would love to swap notes!

I've seen some frequency analysis for Scrabble, but that wikipedia article has some interesting insights. One thing I've noticed in my deckbuilding wordgame is that the X and Z seem easier to use than frequency suggests because players buy more A and E tiles. Q seems the hardest because players tend to avoid buying U tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.