Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
73 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: [poll] Concealed weapons being allowed in the theater would have.... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Poll
1. Concealed carry in the theater would have.
Caused more casualties.
Stopped him from attempting to do what he did in the first place.
Limited the amount of damage he would have done.
Created new targets for him to shoot.
At least saved the court TV drama.
2. How many folks would have been carrying, if it were allowed? The theater seats approximately 120 (just making that number up)
1-4
5-10
11-15
16-20
21-30
30+
3. This situation comes up...
I'm confident enough to stand my ground, cock, aim, and fire.
I would scream and run.
I'm not confident enough, but I would have to do something if I were carrying.
      113 answers
Poll created by bippi

The other thing that makes my blood just boil about this situation is the CCW discussion.

Personally, I think very few folks go to the movies with guns, even the die-hard gun nuts. I think of those folks that do go to the movies with guns, very few of those have the brain that would override a flight response.

That said, maybe I'm in the minority.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You missed an answer
I would attmept to tackle him regardless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
slatersteven wrote:
You missed an answer

I run and scream like a girl when a firework tips over on the 4th of July.

I would like to think I would tackle, but I know what I would really do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bippi wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
You missed an answer

I run and scream like a girl when a firework tips over on the 4th of July.

I would like to think I would tackle, but I know what I would really do.

I just stop out of the way if some tit fucks around on November the 5th.

Which of coourse gives us another answer.

I would not run, but would not shoot another human being.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McCarson
United States
Brunswick Hills
Ohio
flag msg tools
Go Army!
badge
Beat Navy!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty handy with a gun, but dropping an armed, moving target wearing body armor in a dark theater that is in complete chaos and is filling with a gas without hitting a fleeing patron would have to have been a hell of a shot.

Pretty sure I couldn't do it and I know only a few people that could possibly pull it off--with a little luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Four crazy kids and happy as a clam!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was looking for the answer that it would have made no difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
jonnylawless wrote:

I also left-out the '0' option for concealed carry people in the theater. I guess I was counting the shooter.

EDIT: So, for that vote, thumb-up jonnylawless... per the unofficial treatease on polls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jonnylawless wrote:

Exactly. As I posted in a previous thread about this, even if someone were armed, it was not a situation in which it would have been helpful. There was too much confusion and lack of information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McCarson
United States
Brunswick Hills
Ohio
flag msg tools
Go Army!
badge
Beat Navy!
mbmbmbmbmb
A tangent, maybe but...

bippi wrote:
How many folks would have been carrying, if it were allowed? The theater seats approximately 120 (just making that number up)

could be a very regional question. How many would be carrying in Colorado? Idaho? Texas? New Hampshire (where "Live Free or Die" is much more than a motto)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exceptio probat regulam
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Even trained soldiers in broad daylight typically don't aim and shoot.

The "average" armed civilian, regardless of whether they can shoot at a stationary target, is going to shoot at random.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
From similar experiences in the past,there is a pretty good chance that I would have taken partial cover, ascertained the situation, and then shot him. I'd go for center of mass so that would have been a bit useless and I'm not sure I'd realize I needed to shoot for the hands or feet. If at all possible I'd go for the feet and then while he was on the ground, I'd walk up and doubletap him to the head. If he had hurt someone with me, I would more likely shoot him in the hands, ankles and knees and leave him alive. I would feel bad about either later.

I highly doubt you would have done any of those things successfully.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At the very least someone carrying, and firing, a gun would have made themselves a target for the shooter. Hopefully, that would have allowed a few more people to escape the theater uninjured.

If that someone had the "covering fire" objective in mind, buying time for others, and not just putting the shooter down, they might have taken cover and actively tried to keep the shooter busy allowing even more people to get out unharmed.

A person hurling drinks and popcorn and anything else they could get their hands on at the shooter MIGHT have also had the same effect.

Multiply that distraction by more than one good samaritan and again multiplied by those distractions coming from different sides/flanks, I think this guy could have been taken down sooner, saving some lives and preventing some harm.

I'm not a gun owner (now) so I would like to think I would have gone for the distraction-by-popcorn/tackle.

My 1db 1db
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
You missed an answer

Unless you've been in a similar situation, or had police or military training, you don't know what you'd do, you can only say what you hope you'd do. Even the exceptions I note only know what they'd probably do (with increasing values of probably with more experience).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also fully realize that I would be sacrificing my life for someone else who would get out alive...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exceptio probat regulam
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
People under extreme stress don't react as they expect to. It seems that if you haven't experienced being shot at you cannot predict what you'll do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the sentiment of 'why didn't someone try to tackle the guy?'....and maybe they did...i don't know. He may have had some effective equipment but you can't use the equipment if you are laying on the ground with 8 people sitting on your back. I guess it's easy to say now, but it is impossible to know what the actual experience would have been like.

But if one or two folks in the theater had been carrying, they could have put a few rounds in the guys face shield or chest that could have been the diversion someone needed to lunge at the guy and take him down. Once he went down, I suspect he would have been mobbed and overwhelmed immediately.

Is there no video of the actual event?? Not to be morbid, but I think that kind of video needs to be analyzed and some suggestions (dare I say training) on how the public could handle such a situation in the future. Of course, you hope this kind of situation never happens again, but if you aren't prepared in advance, you won't be able to think clearly enough to act in the moment.

The sad truth is that you can't rely on law enforcement to protect you in this kind of situation. Even a world-class response-time is too slow to impact the actual event. I'm afraid it's either let the wacko do whatever he wants, or take action to shut him down.

Of course there is a chance of add'l people being hit with more guns on the scene. But I doubt that 70 people would have been shot if a few in the theater were packing....I think it would have been resolved in less time and with fewer casualties.

I mean no disrespect to the victims and suvivors. This event was so horrid, it makes all of us sad and angry at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
As I understand it, most movie houses prohibit firearms. By coincidence, I had a spontaneous date to meet a lady friend at a major cinema-plex a couple weeks ago. I had been running errands and was carrying my usual snub revolver. When I got to the theater entrance I saw the sign NO FIREARMS and walked back to the car and locked it in the trunk. I obey all gun laws.

As some smart person has already posted: Unless one has been under fire - I haven't- no one can predict what one would do. But some famous LEO,(Jeff Cooper?) wrote that the first rule of a gun fight is don't get shot. The smart thing would have been to drop to floor and stay out of sight while crawling to a position where you could dash for safety. I'm pretty sure that that's what I'd have done.

Speaking of Jeff Cooper, I'm a fan of Jeff Cooper's Color Code describing situational awareness

Quote:
White: Unaware and unprepared. If attacked in Condition White, the only thing that may save you is the inadequacy or ineptitude of your attacker. When confronted by something nasty, your reaction will probably be "Oh my God! This can't be happening to me."

Yellow: Relaxed alert. No specific threat situation. Your mindset is that "today could be the day I may have to defend myself". You are simply aware that the world is a potentially unfriendly place and that you are prepared to defend yourself, if necessary. You use your eyes and ears, and realize that "I may have to shoot today". You don't have to be armed in this state, but if you are armed you should be in Condition Yellow. You should always be in Yellow whenever you are in unfamiliar surroundings or among people you don't know. You can remain in Yellow for long periods, as long as you are able to "Watch your six." (In aviation 12 o'clock refers to the direction in front of the aircraft's nose. Six o'clock is the blind spot behind the pilot.) In Yellow, you are "taking in" surrounding information in a relaxed but alert manner, like a continuous 360 degree radar sweep. As Cooper put it, "I might have to shoot."

Orange: Specific alert. Something is not quite right and has your attention. Your radar has picked up a specific alert. You shift your primary focus to determine if there is a threat (but you do not drop your six). Your mindset shifts to "I may have to shoot that person today", focusing on the specific target which has caused the escalation in alert status. In Condition Orange, you set a mental trigger: "If that person does "X", I will need to stop them". Your pistol usually remains holstered in this state. Staying in Orange can be a bit of a mental strain, but you can stay in it for as long as you need to. If the threat proves to be nothing, you shift back to Condition Yellow.

Red: Condition Red is fight. Your mental trigger (established back in Condition Orange) has been tripped. "If 'X' happens I will shoot that person".

The USMC uses condition Black, although it was not originally part of Cooper's Color Code.

Condition Black: Catastrophic breakdown of mental and physical performance. Usually over 175 heartbeats per minute, increased heart rate becomes counter productive. May have stopped thinking correctly. This can happen when going from Condition White or Yellow immediately to Condition Red.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiren Maelwulf
Canada
Richmond
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't this guy throw gas grenades in first? I would think that would have dramatically reduced any chance of fighting back in addition to the issues of the other chaos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face."
-Mike Tyson, Poet laureate of the United States of America
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Kirenx wrote:
Didn't this guy throw gas grenades in first? I would think that would have dramatically reduced any chance of fighting back in addition to the issues of the other chaos.

He had smoke canisters/gas. Definitely nothing fragmentation or phosphorous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PinkPiggy wrote:
Kirenx wrote:

I forgot all about the tear gas factor. Thank you for reminding me. That changes the game. I recently insufficiently washed my hands after cutting some jalapenos, touched my eye, and I was a useless turd for about 15 minutes while i flushed them out. It didn't help that I was using a fan to dry the seeds (oops!). In light of that, I can understand a scramble to get out. Half blind, burning, and gunfire, that would screw with my nerves too.

And don't forget that a significant number of the moviegoers were wearing costumes that, in that condition and lighting, would be effectively impossible to distinguish from the attacker's. Until he actually pointed the gun in your face, or you happened to be facing directly at him when the muzzle flashed, odds are pretty good you'd have no awareness of his location at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
PinkPiggy wrote:
Kirenx wrote:

I forgot all about the tear gas factor. Thank you for reminding me. That changes the game. I recently insufficiently washed my hands after cutting some jalapenos, touched my eye, and I was a useless turd for about 15 minutes while i flushed them out. It didn't help that I was using a fan to dry the seeds (oops!). In light of that, I can understand a scramble to get out. Half blind, burning, and gunfire, that would screw with my nerves too.

The guy was wearing a gas mask... so I have to assume it wasn't "just smoke"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
And if more than one person started shooting back, it is a very high likelihood that they'd shoot at each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus wrote:
The smart thing would have been to drop to floor and stay out of sight while crawling to a position where you could dash for safety.

Which is why I did not select any of the choices offered as to what I would have done. Not sure whether I would hunker down or crawl away, but I hope I would not scream and present an easier target. Even more, I hope never to find out what I would do.

As for those who suggest that while having patrons fire back would have increased the number of casualties it would have prevented the next mass shooting, I would be interested in knowing whether the interval between mass shootings is longer when the shooter is killed than when the shooter is not killed. Personally, I doubt it.

And my respect and appreciation to the police who have the guts to respond to a situation like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
I should point out that having been in a crowd where someone drew a gun, I didn't know what was going on until everyone around him dropped and I was left standing. The guy pointed the gun at me and I felt my best decision was to not move and startle him. If I had a gun, it wouldn't have mattered, and likely would have ended with me dead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.