United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want updates on when new TGIF polls are posted, or want to look at the results of past polls go to The TGIF Poll Subscription Thread

Poll: The 202nd TGIF Poll
Have you ever done something to a component that came in a game in order to make it look better or work better? (Not including replacement)
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
All the time
1.7% 5
Frequently
6.8% 20
Sometimes
21.9% 64
Rarely
44.9% 131
Never
24.7% 72
Voters 292
Do you ever replace components in your games with things that look better or work better?
All the time
1.4% 4
Frequently
6.8% 20
Sometimes
29.5% 86
Rarely
47.3% 138
Never
15.1% 44
Voters 292
Have you ever bought a new edition of a game you already owned?
All the time
0.7% 2
Frequently
3.7% 11
Sometimes
17.3% 51
Rarely
37.3% 110
Never
41.0% 121
Voters 295
This poll is now closed.   295 answers
Poll created by Blott
Closes: Thu Aug 2, 2012 6:00 am

4. What game have you put the most effort into upgrading components?

Any discussion is encouraged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only mods I can recall are:

1) Kingsburg - painting the white pips on the yellow dice to black (seriously, white pips on yellow dice?)
2) Star Wars Epic Duels - painting the black base tick marks to white
3) Game of Life - using cooking spray on the spinner

I've done a number of storage solution modifications, but I pretty much leave the components alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boardgame
United Kingdom
Penrith
Cumbria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Sometimes - ie, painting miniatures

2. Rarely - just substiting painted minis for certain components in a few games.

3. Never - although I did buy the upgraded cards for War of the Rings, which felt like I was making some daring, extravagent indulgence. FFG have made some great reissues of old games (Cosmic Encounter, Warrior Knights) and their own games (Game of Thrones) that I would probably buy if I didn't already have the earlier edition - but the earlier editions were pretty good in themselves, and I'd rather get a completely new game when I'm spending my money as there are enough of those around!

4. Most effort has previously gone into painting War of the Ring, although I am just getting to the end of a year spent (on and off) painting up Dreadfleet...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Have you ever done something to a component that came in a game in order to make it look better or work better? (Not including replacement)

Probably the most frequent to make it work better is: throw it out! And that component would be some really crappy inserts I've seen over the years (e.g. Pandemic, Mission: Red Planet)

Other than that, modify sculpts with symbols/numbers to make them more visible.

Probably Nexus Ops, replacing the "rubium" cardboard chits with crystal "gems":

Second would be marking my Carc tiles based on which set they are from, in the days before they did that for you:

Third would be using a metallic Sharpie to make the values more visible on the Beowulf: The Movie Boardgame sculpts:

This actually takes a long time and a very steady hand! Still not done, when I finish that I will do a similar thing to the Bootleggers trucks.

Oh and if sleeving counts as upgrading components, I do that for those cards that are critical to hide and get a lot of use (Saboteur goal & role, Citadels role) and that I consider collector's edition/heirloom quality (War of the Ring 2nd edition).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis FitzPatrick
United States
Yuma
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(1) I've clipped counters on a couple wargames.
(2) I used the ship rings from Parker Brothers Shadowlords! as the betting chips for Galaxy: The Dark Ages (a sci-fi retheme of AH Titan:Arena).
(3) I owned the plastic pocket book ed. of "The Awful Green Things from Outer Space", upgraded to the VHS cassette box version and sold the pocket book--then last year bought the brilliant new version with the mounted map and cardboard chit components! Looking to sell my VHS box version.

(4) Haven't really upgraded components. I would love to make some resins (someday-pipe dream) of the old Rivets game Boppers...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally, for better or worse, I leave a game as it arrived board and component-wise.

Also, I'm too grumpy to reply properly this week as, due to Summer School lessons, I am working Saturday and Sunday with a one day "weekend" on Monday. Scumbag bosses. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My only modification/upgrading is either adding card sleeves, laminating, or using the hot water, cold water trick to fix miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
1 - The inspiration for this poll: In the game Maori Rikki didn't think the seashells looked like seashells. So she painted them with a clear iridescent nail polish. It gave the wooden pieces a look when light hits them that is very similar to seashells.

2 - Only minor stuff so far. Like the horrible d20 in Aquädukt.

3 - I was going to say never, but I did buy the new edition of Rage when it came out because it had more distinct colors.

4 - That Maori painting took Rikki a lot of time. Personally I spent a good amount of time on some player aids and also sleeved the role cards in Citadels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff W
United States
los angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Have you ever done something to a component that came in a game in order to make it look better or work better? (Not including replacement)
Sometimes. Most recently I mounted the player boards in Town Center onto microply the give them a sturdier feel and help them lie flat and stable on the table.

2. Do you ever replace components in your games with things that look better or work better?
Sometimes. The first game I replaced components in was my first edition copy of Trias in which I replaced the little wooden cubes with handcrafted wooden dino-meeples, which I affectionately refer to as Triasaurs.

3. Have you ever bought a new edition of a game you already owned?
Rarely. I've owned and enjoyed the Cwali edition of Factory Fun since picking it up at Essen in 2007, but did just pick up a new copy of the Z-Man edition when i saw it locally at a not-to-be-missed price. That copy is still in-shrink.

Upon request from a fellow BGG member, I recently cut custom 'Evosaurus' meeples for the new edition of Evo. This time the project involved some back and forth regarding the dino profiles and color matching to the base game components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
DoomTurtle wrote:
My only modification/upgrading is either adding card sleeves, laminating, or using the hot water, cold water trick to fix miniatures.

Oh yeah I've also done the hot water/cold water to Dungeon Twister Prison and War of the Ring. But I don't consider that really a "mod," more a "fix" of a mistake in the production line...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Small World, I actually added 10 centavo coins as an additional marker as a reminder that you get extra points for abilities like pillaging, or for controlling areas where you get bonuses (ex. extra coins when dwarves control mine areas)....

If and when I get Agricola and Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small I will surely use the animeeples in the latter for the former....and maybe I could use some of the components in Stone Age (ie wood, brick/clay/stone) as well...

My wife and I were thinking of getting some Fimo (or its equivalent) to make poop counters which look like, well, poop for Dungeon Petz, as well maybe for the meat and veggies, but that's a long shot...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:

What's wrong with it? I just traded for that game, I've glanced at the components but didn't nothing bad really jumped out at me. Haven't gotten a chance to play it yet. I actually like the box art and the board a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A Hike!
mbmbmbmbmb
Rarely
Rarely
Rarely

However, I have done the "Rubium" fix for Nexus Ops and the following:

Homemade version of Fire

Rock replacement using rocks taken from beaches in New Zealand

Homemade fortress bling

Painted domes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Click
United States
Bristol
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For #3... the only new versions I have bought were to replace PnP versions of games with the Commercial Release of that game... D-Day Dice being the first that comes to mind.

For #4... Not sure which game I have spent the most time on, but I do enjoy painting figures... well, I did until my eyesite took the old age plunge. I find myself not enjoying the hobby as much as I once did, still every time I play Memoir '44 I think, "Man, I have got to get these figures painted".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not much for me, although I now as a rule replace paper money or flimsy chips with our poker chip set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm. Other than using an Xacto to cut out wargaming counters, and occasionally trim the flash…

Card protectors for Dominion, but that's not really an upgrade.

I did make representative icons to put on stands for the various factions in Here I Stand.

I purchased custom dice (with the star and sickle) for Twilight Struggle. I also purchased the Deluxe Edition, giving my older edition to a friend.

I also purchased the Deluxe edition of Puerto Rico Deluxe, and gave my original to the same friend.

I have an updated artwork version of the map for Hammer of the Scots on my wish list…

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a counter clipper...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrin Williams
United States
Allen
Texas
flag msg tools
I have overtext. Yes I do.
badge
I have overtext. How 'bout you !
mbmbmbmbmb
1 I've attempted to paint a couple of figures with very lackluster results.

2 I often replace the insert with something from Cabela's or the Container Store. I also bought the anivegimeeples for Agricola, and I use poker chips instead of money. I also added a few extra D8's to my Battlestar Galactica game, because having just one die in a game seems wrong.

3 No. I'd rather have a new game than another copy of a game I already have. I have bought nice chess sets, though. So maybe I should have said yes. (Well, it's too late now.)

4 Agricola is my most pimped game, but it's nowhere near as nice as some of the games I saw in the great Agricola Pimping trend of 08.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
Blott wrote:

What's wrong with it? I just traded for that game, I've glanced at the components but didn't nothing bad really jumped out at me. Haven't gotten a chance to play it yet. I actually like the box art and the board a lot.

I like the art and the game is fun. My d20, however, was messed up. You couldn't make out some of the numbers and I swear it rolled 11 about 50% of the time. Luckily I had an extra sitting around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A Hike!
mbmbmbmbmb
Blott wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:
Blott wrote:

I like the art and the game is fun. My d20, however, was messed up. You couldn't make out some of the numbers and I swear it rolled 11 about 50% of the time. Luckily I had an extra sitting around.

I had to replace my D20 in Aquädukt as well. Several of the numbers were unreadable and it had a severe bias towards some of the numbers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All rarely. I had replaced coins in Caylus with red/natural chips. I've also replaced my chips in Lexio for some antique (true) clay poker chips. I put rubber feet on my player boards in Vino (along with numbering some of the vineyard pieces for easier setup) and on my Fast Food Franchise Event cards, I have written notes with clarifications. If I know a game isn't going anywhere, I have no issue with doing that.

I bought the new version of Medici when it came out as I liked the look better. I might have done that with another game, as well, but drawing a blank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthew.marquand wrote:
Blott wrote:
JohnnyDollar wrote:
Blott wrote:

I had to replace my D20 in Aquädukt as well. Several of the numbers were unreadable and it had a severe bias towards some of the numbers.

LMAO! Just played this for the first time a couple of months ago and we didn't notice the die was squished for the first half the game. We finished out the game then replaced the die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Never

2. Rarely

1 and 2 kind of tie in together for me. I like to use the purple trains from Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries when I play Ticket to Ride, but it came with 3 less train cars. So I stole 3 purple train cars from my copy of Railways of the World and put them in with it. Works great!!!

3. Sometimes. I have bought new/sealed games at thrift stores that I already own a copy for purposes of gifting or trading. I have also bought replacement copies of Rage.

4. We got a Lego Shark from a friend to replace the shark card in Get Bit!. That's about the most work I have put into this kind of thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
Blott wrote:

The original Outpost.

Poker chips for people and robots.
Wood tiles to track scores.
Risk pieces for the factories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When in Vegas, my wife got us a way better piece than that lame wooden one to slam down and call "Ra!"

Then she bought some material and sewed us a more suitable tile bag:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.