Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Star Trek: Fleet Captains» Forums » General

Subject: Unboxing - Comments rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been reading so much in this forum about the quality/condition of the contents, I thought I would share what I noticed in my "unboxing". Not sure if this should be in the GENERAL section, or the Review section.

My copy from Amazon.com arrived yesterday - and here is what I noticed.

1. Play Cards - All the cards were still in their respective slots with all the plastic wrap intact. All were in perfect condition. The only anomaly I noticed was that the ""Ship" deck cards were "stuck" to each other. Took some patience and time to carefully separate them - but when I was done, there was no damage to them at all.

2. Tile Cards - All accounted for and in new/great condition - as with the Play Cards, they ARE very thin. But to their credit, they seem to have a really high cotton/plastic content, are textured, and seem they may last a while. I will probably sleeve them (Play Cards). I have never sleeved before, but with this game I will. In addition, I will most likely have the Tile Cards professionally heat laminated, or copied and mounted on better stock.

3. Ship Models - all of them are present and in undamaged condition. I will definitely have fun painting them.

4. Toeken - all present and accounted for, Sir! What can I say about tokens, they were all centered and on good stock.

5. Dice - OMG! I had no idea that dice the size of bacteria were even manufactured! I will definitely replace them with dice that are, lets say, at least the size my dogs three-celled brain. (My dog actually has four brain cells, but one of the cells is 100% used for deciding when to lick himself.)

I am not sure if I was just lucky, or if Wizkids is doing a better job of manufacturing the sets, but I am very pleased.

-Sargonkid : )

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Either you were lucky or I was unlucky. All of my cards had their plastic wraps ripped off and they were scattered all over interior. Also, 4 ship models had come loose and were broken (including both Enterprises, COME ON!)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoo wrote:
Either you were lucky or I was unlucky. All of my cards had their plastic wraps ripped off and they were scattered all over interior. Also, 4 ship models had come loose and were broken (including both Enterprises, COME ON!)


Curious - was there a foam insert between the models and the box top?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sargonkid wrote:
Smoo wrote:
Either you were lucky or I was unlucky. All of my cards had their plastic wraps ripped off and they were scattered all over interior. Also, 4 ship models had come loose and were broken (including both Enterprises, COME ON!)


Curious - was there a foam insert between the models and the box top?


Mine did not have a foam insert, my cards were still in shrink, but badly damaged from hitting the ships. One Klingon and one Federation ship were broken off their peg and the fed ship was horribly mangled. My rulebook was also pretty badly shredded.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bagherra wrote:
sargonkid wrote:
Smoo wrote:
Either you were lucky or I was unlucky. All of my cards had their plastic wraps ripped off and they were scattered all over interior. Also, 4 ship models had come loose and were broken (including both Enterprises, COME ON!)


Curious - was there a foam insert between the models and the box top?


Mine did not have a foam insert, my cards were still in shrink, but badly damaged from hitting the ships. One Klingon and one Federation ship were broken off their peg and the fed ship was horribly mangled. My rulebook was also pretty badly shredded.


I am just wondering then if the additon of the foam insert (which mine included) made the difference? With the 2/3 inch layer of protection between the box top and the contents, it may have protected my shipment better? I wonder why some seem to have the insert, andothers don't...

In any event, I am sorry yours showed up in the condition it did
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. The foam insert makes a world of difference, and if I recall correctly, there was a slight modification to the plastic insert for ships and cards that made it less likely for loose cards to be funneled into the ship section if they got loose.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
it's all good, wiz kids was very helpful in fixing the situation.

Unfortunately, they have not been as friendly with my copy of Mage Knight. Since I traded for it, I don't have a receipt...I did get with the guy I traded with and he said he ordered the replacement bits...now the wait is on...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ibarzabal

Campinas
Sao Paulo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not have any issues with mine (thank kirk!), but everytime I put it out of the box, looking at those location cards make me wince.

I wish there was an easy way to protect them, they look so feeble, it only needs one slightly uncoordinated friend to damage one of them...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mestre dos Magos wrote:
I did not have any issues with mine (thank kirk!), but everytime I put it out of the box, looking at those location cards make me wince.

I wish there was an easy way to protect them, they look so feeble, it only needs one slightly uncoordinated friend to damage one of them...


I am going to have mine heat-laminated - that should protect them well!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sargonkid wrote:
Mestre dos Magos wrote:
I did not have any issues with mine (thank kirk!), but everytime I put it out of the box, looking at those location cards make me wince.

I wish there was an easy way to protect them, they look so feeble, it only needs one slightly uncoordinated friend to damage one of them...


I am going to have mine heat-laminated - that should protect them well!



Where will you be having this done? Any idea how much it would cost for the whole set? Please keep us posted, as I might do the same with my set if it's reasonable and the results are good.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McFall
United States
Killeen
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy had one ship broke loose from the base stand (easy to fix).

The one thing that really pisses me off is the fact that one of the Klingon ship was missing both engines. The engines were no where to be found inside the box. That tells me that this ship was packed broken vs being broke during shipping. Whoever packed this box in the first place simply "did not care" and the evidence shows...

I really do not have the desire to jump 50 hoops to replace that ship so I am stuck with a "broken ship".

If I were a manager of that department or the owner of the Company, someone would be walking home (for real), after the numerous issues I have seen posted. I have seen the efforts made to replace the broken componets.

How do you expect to make a maximum profit by doing business this way? Things like this can prevent reprints of the same game or worse yet newer products being made because of low profit margins.

Anyways... I am done ranting about that.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Its not to hard to get a replacement for a single ship. Its when you have several in need of replacing that things get complex.

Just follow one of the links to the replacement page and file it. WizKids so far has been very good about replacing broken ships.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RogueThirteen wrote:
sargonkid wrote:
Mestre dos Magos wrote:
I did not have any issues with mine (thank kirk!), but everytime I put it out of the box, looking at those location cards make me wince.

I wish there was an easy way to protect them, they look so feeble, it only needs one slightly uncoordinated friend to damage one of them...


I am going to have mine heat-laminated - that should protect them well!



Where will you be having this done? Any idea how much it would cost for the whole set? Please keep us posted, as I might do the same with my set if it's reasonable and the results are good.


Many of the "run of the mill" copy shops, such as Kinko's, Office Depot, Staples, etc... Some of the smaller ones don't do it tho. Also there are a buttload of companies that you can mail them to that do outstanding jobs (of both lamentating and cutting perfectly).

Another option for sure, if you are going to have a LOT of cards done over the years is to simply do it yourself with something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Apache-AL13P-Professional-Laminator-Do...

(NOTE: Make sure it is a HOT system. Hot systems actually melt/blend the plastic "into" the paper/cardboard - so you can cut the edges really close to the edge of the paper.

There are so many of these types of lamenators available - one thing tho, if you have never used a machine like this, be sure to practice with a piece of paper the same shape and size (and thickness) to ensure you have the settings correct for the item(s) you are lamenating.

Finally, if you are afraid you may ruin them, simply copy them to regular paper, then laminate with thicker sheets.

- Sargonkid

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.