Popular Tags: [View All]
Will Brasher
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
HER!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Warning, I'm not eloquent and great at grammar, I'm also at work so have rushed this a bit

I hear a lot of people asking for more out of this game... I've only played it three times and would play a lot more if it wasn't so darned hot around here at the mo.

So lets cover why this is an awesome game, why certain things are 'lacking' and thoughts on the future of this game!

My first play was solo, played by two player rules by myself to get a feel for the rules and what shapes to lay the cards in. I had none of the extra card sets in play but really enjoyed the spatial element of the game and got a good understanding to teach my friends how to play (and beat them first time I played against them).

Second game was again just the basics but with 4 players. It was me, my geeky buddy Chris, his girl Zee and his dad Rich. Not hardcore gamers by any stretch but willing to give a game a go. They are fans of Carcassonne and Small Worlds, not that that is anything to hold against them, I'm a big fan of these. The drafting element shone in this game. Weighing placement, drafting, energy efficiency and monetary requirements really got them going. The rule on extra points when you have power stations allocating all their energy is inspired, do you build more and use up cards that your neighbour wants or cash them in for credits, build up around you medical facility to increase victory points or save energy for the elusive fighter bay or throw it out on turrets to stop your opponent getting too many turrets? They really loved it. Non optimal moves were obviously made but they realised after and didn't make the same mistake twice. I managed to get a holodeck in a hole and score max off it. Oh the joy!

My mate Ad turned up (hardcore gamer) halfway through so we let him 'advise' Zee as she can get a bit AP. He commented on the game after and was keen to play himself. Telling him about the other extras pretty much sold it to him and as for the extras, well....

Third game! All the extras in and it was three players. Me, Kyle and Ad. This is more of a gamers game. Well let me just say the racial abilites are great. The extra level from that alone was just superb. I had limited resources and no way of gaining extra but a higher yearly income. Kyle could pause once a year, look at a players hand and swap a card for one he has. Ad had increased revenue from trashing a card and a better credit to VP ratio at end game.

Kyle used his ability to keep great scoring cards from people and to get cards back that he had just passed that he had just set up for the turn before. I had to be cautious on cost and efficient in my spending. Ad was just rolling in cash!

The objectives were a great extra, we had bonus points for recreational tiles (I was king here) bonus points for Military tiles (Ad was the winner here) and bonus for most credits left at game end (double whammy for Ad). Unfortunate that Ad had a racial ability that matched with an objective and that Kyle had not played before giving Ad a good lead in Military installations.

Best extra is conflict, OMG! The decisions when drafting are just brilliant when you throw this in the mix. The general idea is when you play a conflict card if you have more than your target in a specific colour tile or extra energy then you get victory points from them. Deciding if you go for conflict yourself is dependant on whether you think it will come round again that year. Whether you throw a conflict that would be used against you or an opponent really makes the interaction a lot more nasty, but FUN! I cannot say how awesome these cards are and would love to see the new set from the $35000 stretch goal (BUY IT NOW!!!). I had so much fun deciding who to play these cards on and whether I should trash a conflict card or pass the buck to the next player as they may be the target. Artipia need to do themselves a favor and show how these extras change the game from 'meh' to 'AGAIN!'

Well, that's the first bit covered. The extras make the awesome. For casual gamers best maybe to steer clear of the conflict but for the gamer group, chuck all the extras in and let war commence. Next is why things are missing.

One word here, expansions. Any company knows when you get people hooked you want to feed their addiction in small amounts. Great games are always great but get left at the side of the table or on the shelf when you're looking for a different challenge. Expansions make you go back and hopefully are game changers (literally). I'd like to get my head around the basics before the extra rules get bunged in

Talking about bunging in things... how about where this game should go?

I have a dream, no, don't laugh. I literally DID have a dream about this game... How sad is that? I'm playing it with no art work and my brain processes overnight decide to extrapolate. *sigh* I'm dreaming of crew for the station that vary the effects of various locations. I'm thinking a captain to increase efficiency, an engineer to increase power output, accountants, builders, security officers, diplomats, ambassadors, envoys, saboteurs pretending to be other job roles, gardeners, waiters,,, the list is endless! Between years after the first you could have a pool of jobs going and you can hire them in on a yearly salary and place them (yay! worker placement!) to help with a location or surrounding area or just for an ability.

Now quit your moaning about what the game is not giving you and think what it could (I should run for Prime Minister)! That is hours of fun and enjoyment. So go for it, good games these days are hard find, good games the lasting kind...

Feel free to rave back and I'll stick my fingers in my ears singing 'La, la, la!'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your post was the straw that broke this camel's back!
Ordered last night, after much contemplation!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Brasher
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
HER!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
entwife wrote:
Your post was the straw that broke this camel's back!
Ordered last night, after much contemplation!

I consider myself a success now, thank you for making my life complete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
You should back this so I can get the 40k Stretch Goal award.

I know, I'm selfish. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Step 1: Execute Prisoner. Step 2: Eulogy. Step 3: Repeat Step 2. Step 4: Profit!
badge
Never give up, never surrender!
mbmbmbmbmb
Very well said. If I hadn't already pre-ordered it, I'd be even more tempted to get it. As it is, you've pushed me into asking for the PnP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was on the edge, but this notion of ... "conflict" ... as a contest of comparing a particular kind of points that then results the transfer of victory points without any other effects sounds rather boring to me.

But I guess that's different for people less used to conflict meaning "war", "invasion" and "slaughter" and, preferrably, "dice rolls"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Brasher
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
HER!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
haslo wrote:
I was on the edge, but this notion of ... "conflict" ... as a contest of comparing a particular kind of points that then results the transfer of victory points without any other effects sounds rather boring to me.

Putting it like that sounds boring You're taking away the key aspect of drafting. When you have a choice to stop the conflict by using that card before it goes to the other player for credits or for building a power reactor or even to use a different card from your hand to make you less of a target to the player ahead in that card type or even to use it yourself on a player other than the one who would get the most out of it, that's the beauty of this game, optimal drafting and playing of cards.

I'm super interested in what else could be in the conflict card 2nd set to add more playability!

...maybe I should get a 2nd set myself so I could play 8 player?? Man I would need a crazy size table or just play until it doesn't fit anymore like in the variant listed in the new rules or sell it for a profit when it becomes super popular and no one can get hold of it...

PzVIE wrote:
You should back this so I can get the 40k Stretch Goal award.

Hear, hear! I second that! Lets face it, I like this game so I may as well be honest about wanting more for my bucks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rillian wrote:
haslo wrote:

Putting it like that sounds boring You're taking away the key aspect of drafting. When you have a choice to stop the conflict by using that card before it goes to the other player for credits or for building a power reactor or even to use a different card from your hand to make you less of a target to the player ahead in that card type or even to use it yourself on a player other than the one who would get the most out of it, that's the beauty of this game, optimal drafting and playing of cards.

Yeah, maybe, but what's the thematic aspect to drafting and playing cards? When I play a card so no other player can use it for "conflict", I'm avoiding that "conflict", right? That sounds like a great mechanism that works a treat for saving my points from being compared to another player's points which would then move points from one stack to another - so it sounds like a great mechanism that works fine for maximizing my victory points in the game given the game's rules. But it doesn't really make the conflict any more conflict-y...

What I mean to say is, it seems to me that the game is great at achieving its goals of providing many interesting decisions on the way to having most victory points, and that's awesome for a great many gamers. But since I'm a very theme-driven gamer, the (IMHO unthematic) conflict mechanism makes it obvious to me that I'm not a good match for this game, and thus saved me from spending money on a game I wouldn't enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Brasher
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
HER!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
haslo wrote:
Yeah, maybe, but what's the thematic aspect to drafting and playing cards? When I play a card so no other player can use it for "conflict", I'm avoiding that "conflict", right? That sounds like a great mechanism that works a treat for saving my points from being compared to another player's points which would then move points from one stack to another - so it sounds like a great mechanism that works fine for maximizing my victory points in the game given the game's rules. But it doesn't really make the conflict any more conflict-y...

What I mean to say is, it seems to me that the game is great at achieving its goals of providing many interesting decisions on the way to having most victory points, and that's awesome for a great many gamers. But since I'm a very theme-driven gamer, the (IMHO unthematic) conflict mechanism makes it obvious to me that I'm not a good match for this game, and thus saved me from spending money on a game I wouldn't enjoy.

Sounds like you made the right choice for you as the whole draft mechanism does not really lead to theme Me and my gamers like the interesting choices the game leads you too so that's why it's a great game for us. If we all liked the same games, man would it be boring!

Trying to link the draft into the theme leads me to this...

Every year the alien government gets a list of workers and what they are available to build for the new space stations and in a weird bureaucratic selection process pass the work out to the stations 'equally'. The stations choose one of the plans they are given and in the interests of playing fair have to pass the rest of the plans on to the nest station for their next choice. Sometimes the stations just get the workers to build a power station instead of their chosen specialty and at other times they take the plans and sell them on the black market for a standard price.
After the first year the stations sometimes get legal proceedings as well as plans. These are normally arguing the finer points of the 'alliance' of space stations and end up with the station who has fallen behind having to subsidise the running of another station due to it making up where the other is lacking.

How does that sound? It's a bit dry but it does kind of give the idea that the points are linked in with legal set up of how a good space station should be built
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Siegfried Steurer
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Rillian,

I am absolutely on the edge with this one, but there's this comment from
Michael
Germany
flag msg tools
[G]RRRRRRRRRR
badge
[G]RRRRRRRRRR
mbmbmbmbmb

"Summary: A pretty game with a cool theme, that has no meat to it.

The game consists of placing a card and scoring it, placing a card and scoring it, placing a card and scoring it, placing a card and scoring it, building another reactor, placing a card and scoring it, placing a card and scoring it and so on. There's money and there's energy to manage, and that's the entire game. No other elements, no interaction with other players (other than utterly random aggression cards in the advanced game), no card selection, no impactful side effects, no subtleties. It's draw-and-play."

This is whats keeping me from preordering at the moment. I would be happy if you care to comment.

Thank you very much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
badge
I can see my house from here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Gibmaatsuki wrote:
Hi Rillian,

I am absolutely on the edge with this one, but there's this comment from
Michael
Germany
flag msg tools
[G]RRRRRRRRRR
badge
[G]RRRRRRRRRR
mbmbmbmbmb

I am not Rillian, but I absolutely disagree with that opinion. That is completely disregarding the whole point of card drafting. If you only look at 'what card gets me the most points right now' then yes, the game is simple with no meaningful decisions. But you cannot play like that. You cannot ignore what the other players are doing.

In the one hand of cards, I might have a security station, which fits my current strategy of 'build blue locations'. But I also have a Turret, which my neighbour has already built two of. If I hand him another Turret, I am giving him more points. Then there is a Council Room here - which my other opponent has already built. If I build it, it lessens the points he gets out of it, but it will also be less overall for me. And even ignoring the other players, do I even want to build the security station? I have no energy cubes left, meaning I will not be able to afford any of the (potentially high-scoring) cards that require energy that might be in my next hand of cards. So maybe I should build a power station instead, rather than regret next turn that I did not.

This game is most definitely not 'draw and play'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Davis
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
superbgg wrote:

I am not Rillian, but I absolutely disagree with that opinion. That is completely disregarding the whole point of card drafting. If you only look at 'what card gets me the most points right now' then yes, the game is simple with no meaningful decisions. But you cannot play like that. You cannot ignore what the other players are doing.

In the one hand of cards, I might have a security station, which fits my current strategy of 'build blue locations'. But I also have a Turret, which my neighbour has already built two of. If I hand him another Turret, I am giving him more points. Then there is a Council Room here - which my other opponent has already built. If I build it, it lessens the points he gets out of it, but it will also be less overall for me. And even ignoring the other players, do I even want to build the security station? I have no energy cubes left, meaning I will not be able to afford any of the (potentially high-scoring) cards that require energy that might be in my next hand of cards. So maybe I should build a power station instead, rather than regret next turn that I did not.

This game is most definitely not 'draw and play'.

Sounds VERY similar to 7 Wonders. Thoughts on differences?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
ryansdavis wrote:

It IS very similar to 7 Wonders, only with the additional Alhambra-esque tile-laying mechanic. So imagine drafting stuff for 7 Wonders, but you have a spatial aspect that you have to manage, as well.

If you enjoy 7 Wonders, I imagine you'd like this game as well. If you enjoy Alhambra, ditto. If you enjoy both, I think you'll really like this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contig the fallen
United States
flag msg tools
Keen to the scent -- the hunt is my muse. A means to an end, this path that I choose
badge
Wake the White Wolf! Remembrance At Last (by Miracle of Sound)
mbmbmbmbmb
ryansdavis wrote:

There is a review by an excellent user saying what sets it apart from 7 wonders here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
ryansdavis wrote:

It has a much cooler theme. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Brasher
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
HER!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gibmaatsuki wrote:
I would be happy if you care to comment.

I'm in a bit of a rush today so I will just say superbgg had it right, it's not draw and play, it's draft and play so the comment quoted from grey_wolf implies that they are not looking at the bigger picture!

Card abilitys also make you plan for the future as some cards score straight away so you have to set them up for points but there is obviously no guarantee the card you want will come up so you have to make calculated risks.

We also found that people tend to look at the score track for deciding who is ahead and ignore the end of game scoring or don't weigh it as heavily. Perhaps with experience and cards that you can see across the table people may not do this as much, it's great for deflecting conflict cards being played against you though.

So in summation there's meat to be had!

Lastly thanks to everyone who made my dreams come true reacing the 35k goal... bring on 40k!!!

I think I shall do my bit and buy a 2nd copy, may lead to some interesting and unbalanced variants or perhaps extra years in a game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Brasher
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
HER!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Woot! \o/

Max perks unlocked, I hope we were of some help to people making their minds up to preorder this!

If so, thanks everyone, we're awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxime Yazz
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rillian wrote:
Woot! \o/

Max perks unlocked, I hope we were of some help to people making their minds up to preorder this!

If so, thanks everyone, we're awesome!

You most definitively where I per-ordered this following a close read of you preview.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan McCabe
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Pre-ordered today. Was flip-flopping due to wanting to save money for Gen Con, but with all the promos I couldn't resist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.