Andrew Martin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
We played our first game of Descent second edition last night. First Blood and then both encounters from Fat Goblin(took about 3.5 hours with rules explanation). I was Overlord and we had three players controlling one hero each. Characters used were the dwarf as a berserker, Tromble (sp?) as a thief and the cleric guy as...well a cleric (I forget what they call it).

Rules explanation went smoothly and we played with the basic rules (as opposed to the epic variant). Three of us had played Descent 1st Edition before...all four of us have played Mansions of Madness.

First Blood was pretty much a cake walk for the heroes...I tried to block the intersection with the Mauler but he went down quickly.

Fat Goblin Part I was the reverse. I picked Cave Spiders as my open group and they easily held off the heroes in the first room while the goblins sprinted for the crops. I'm pretty sure we had all the rules right but this seemed to be an extremely tough encounter for the heroes...they never even made it into the crop room.

Fat Goblin Part II was a little more tense. This time the heroes cut through the initial spiders a lot quicker, but lost time due to a game of 'who's going to open that door? Us or the Ettin (my open group) on the other side?'. I got lucky as the Overloard and found Frederick on the first try...they kept stunning my Ettin (now clogging the center hall) but I was able to run past him with my lieutenant with a double move and a dash (resulting in a less than dramatic ending).

Overall we liked it and had enough instances where movement, placement and LOS mattered that those mechanics didn't appear to be overly simplified. Everyone liked how streamlined it was compared to first edition and liked the straightforward scenarios (as opposed to MoM). The scenarios we played may also be better balanced than it seems above since the heroes rolled blue x's A LOT. We also thought the the special attacks and skills were very thematic and fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Platt
United Kingdom
Duston
Northamptonshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very similar to my first experience.

Things we did wrong though:

Stun only prevents ONE action.

Stun and other effects only work if you cause a wound.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Martin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Good catch. We played it as recovering from a stun taking an entire turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.