Popular Tags: [View All]
Clive Lovett
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a way of finding out how many users there are in each state/province in North America?
And expanding on this - how about how many per country (or per region in a country).
I am working on a mapping idea.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Click on someone's flag, and that brings up a way to search by city or "state" within a country.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But that only works if someone has identified their city. I did identify state, but not city.

I'm sure that there are users who just identify US as country and don't give a state.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Lovett
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks...I understand that some people try to remain as anonymous as possible and do not post their location but I will take the data as I can and assume the number of geeks who do not indicate their state are a minority.
My project if for fun...will post my 'maps' soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Hickle
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
This space for rent.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you go to the Miscellaneous link on the top bar, you can click "find users" and find people by their zip code.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
herace wrote:
But that only works if someone has identified their city. I did identify state, but not city.

I'm sure that there are users who just identify US as country and don't give a state.

I just put in "Georgia" and left city blank and it gave me 120 pages of Georgians. I think it works with just states.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, but look at this user. Only US identified not state. So you can't find city or state if user doesn't specify that.

In Georgia there are probably a 100 towns within the greater Atlanta metropolitan area. Doubt that the folks all chose Atlanta.

It is better than nothing. All I'm trying to point out is that it isn't perfect... I just did too much programming not to turn around to see what was going to bite me in the ass.

Bee :)
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Freedom Rider - Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers
badge
The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil - George Saunders
mbmbmbmbmb
A user's location isn't the whole story. If you look at my profile, you'll see that I do list the city and state where I reside, but you'll also note an entry in the top left corner that says:

Quote:
Include me in the Gamer Database
(allows others to find you based on your zipcode): No

You can see my city and town by hovering the cursor over my flag, but the fact that I've selected 'No' for inclusion in the database indicates I don't care to be included in such projects without giving explicit permission (which I don't). I'd presume I'm not the only one who feels that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
asutbone wrote:
If you go to the Miscellaneous link on the top bar, you can click "find users" and find people by their zip code.

That's the method I'd recommend. The site software takes my preference into account, so I don't show up in the search by zip code.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Lovett
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The geeks that entered their zipcodes are few and far between. I am getting all the information I need from the state/city search option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clive65 wrote:
The geeks that entered their zipcodes are few and far between. I am getting all the information I need from the state/city search option.

It may be the geeks who asked to be included in the gamer database who are few and far between. I selected 'No', and don't come up in the zipcode search, but do appear in the search when you use city and state.

Whatever it is you're doing, I'm not granting permission to be included.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Lovett
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
Clive65 wrote:

It may be the geeks who asked to be included in the gamer database who are few and far between. I selected 'No', and don't come up in the zipcode search, but do appear in the search when you use city and state.

Whatever it is you're doing, I'm not granting permission to be included.

I am sure I do not need your permission to do what I am doing. I think you are getting a little paranoid though...this will not identify you in any way.
If I create a map of geeks per population by state then how does that affect you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clive65 wrote:
I am sure I do not need your permission to do what I am doing. I think you are getting a little paranoid though...this will not identify you in any way.
If I create a map of geeks per population by state then how does that affect you?

I'm not paranoid, I just like having my privacy. My problem isn't so much that you're using the data, but that BGG is providing it in that fashion. When I've said I don't choose to share my information for the database, why am I filtered out from the zip code search, but not from the city/state search? That is the issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Lovett
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
Clive65 wrote:

I'm not paranoid, I just like having my privacy. My problem isn't so much that you're using the data, but that BGG is providing it in that fashion. When I've said I don't choose to share my information for the database, why am I filtered out from the zip code search, but not from the city/state search? That is the issue.

Sorry for my confusion of the issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clive65 wrote:
Sorry for my confusion of the issue.

No problem. I figured that the fact I enter my city and state in the first place would make it clear that I'm not paranoid. I don't mind you clicking on my profile and seeing that. What I do mind is when BGG gives me a privacy option, and applies it in the zipcode search but not the city/state search. Both are in the same drop-down menu, so how does that make sense?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.