Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aric Leung
United States
Hillsborough
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was wondering if anyone could enlighten me in the differences between the two editions. Let there be light!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartow Riggs
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ehoba wrote:
Was wondering if anyone could enlighten me in the differences between the two editions. Let there be light!

Deluxe has mounted map, extra cards, card tweaks (ie - Aldrich Ames) a few variants (China Civil War, Short game)and nicer components (thicker counters, better dice(?).

I'm probably forgetting something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DominiGeek
Dominican Republic
Santo Domingo
D.N.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
BartowWing wrote:

Deluxe is more expensive?? I think you have the main differences covered.

EDIT: Keep looking down...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward
United States
New York City
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's basically no reason to get the 2nd Edition instead of the Deluxe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
rubendario5 wrote:
BartowWing wrote:

Deluxe is more expensive?? I think you have the main differences covered.

Deluxe was actually cheaper than the first edition all those years ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Griffey
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the 2nd edition cardboard map Influence markers can infiltrate into the folding splits to disappear under the map. The Deluxe mounted map does not have this problem.

The Space Race Track on the Deluxe map is historically more correct, with moon landing in box 6 and Space shuttle in box 8. Game play of the boxes is the same.

All of the Deluxe changes are minor, but all improve the game. For example, there's a Saudi AWACs Sale card #110 which prevents the anti-American Muslim Revolution event (original game was to likely to see USSR dominating Middle East; this mitigates that, a little). The starting set up (2 US in Canada) is more realistic. The optional rule requiring USSR to pay to play the China Card is also nice way to balance the game, many viewing the original as strongly favoring the USSR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ioan Mitiu
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just for my personal curiosity - as an owner of Deluxe Edition : is any difference/improvements in any next printed edition ?

For example tokens for marking NORAD event being in effect ( as the one for Flower Power in Deluxe ) and so on .. ? blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I pretty sure Gene has said that it's just a straight reprint. No changes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DominiGeek
Dominican Republic
Santo Domingo
D.N.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Ioan76_TM wrote:
Just for my personal curiosity - as an owner of Deluxe Edition : is any difference/improvements in any next printed edition ?

For example tokens for marking NORAD event being in effect ( as the one for Flower Power in Deluxe ) and so on .. ? blush

First I also thought that the absence of the NORAD Marker would be a pain, but I read some time ago what I believe is the perfect solution, and now I think it would be a waste to make it: just put an 1 ip marker on DEFCON 2 level, and you'll never forget to trigger it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Vecstric
Sweden
Malmö
Skåne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, what is it now? 3 years until I can finally fork down my cash for a Collectors Anniversary edition and actually try this game instead of just reading about it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.