Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Sturm Europa! is still listed in the Academy Games, Inc. web catalogue. So, maybe it is not quite dead, yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex H.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
welcome your reptilian overlords!
mbmbmbmbmb
In the comment section you can see that David Ells apparently played it recently with the designer.
Maybe too early for an obituary...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Dinkel
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I know this game is still being worked on, as stated above it is still listed on the Academy Games Website and catalog. I hope the designers can make some serious progress, because I will be getting this game for sure!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well as the first thread on this is from 2008,.....

You'd expect them to know more after 4 years and at least let us know what the plans are.

I can not help but think of Europe Engulfed when I look at the photos.

Will it be fair to assume this game will be very simular?

I may be able to get EE, so now I'm wondering should I go for it, or better wait another ??? years for this to maybe materialize.

It is Accademy so I can't imagine that it will not... some day but.......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unconditional Surrender, now that doens't sound like a very japanese thing to say..

Sorry, couldn't resist that one, no offense meant.devil

Than I saw your name and you probably are just in Japan.

Anyway, thanks for the advise.
I don't own Europe Engulfed, it seems impossible to get, so I really don't know how that plays.

Just got the impression of simularity from the pictures.
Both blocks, both Europe and I aggree it a nuisance that these games take so long to appear.

Don't they realise we've got nothing else to do than play them?
Do they not understand the urgency?
If they keep us waiting for to long we'll be forced to start designing our own games.soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Funny, allthough I think that is only true if you think of the politicians, not of the fighting men/women.

Hm thanks.

The scripted thing definatly seems off putting.
It'll force you to play the game the same way every time.

Allthough I don't mind the game following history, after all I want to also use it as a teaching tool, it would be preferable if you could fight that war in your own twisted way aswell.

Explore some what ifs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Merci,

the blocks actually didn't bother me.
nice chance from all the chit games I've got.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sagitar wrote:

The scripted thing definatly seems off putting.
It'll force you to play the game the same way every time.

There are optional rules that allow you to play EE in a completely unscripted fashion. I've never played with them, and they do up the time and complexity level quite a bit. They are pretty well thought out and implemented though. If you don't like the basic game mechanics, it's probably not worth playing again just to test those rules out, but they are there (in the playbook, IIRC).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Regulski
United Kingdom
LEEDS
ENGLAND
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
OR SUPREME COMMANDER that's also strategic europe ww2. agree with Romain Duchness comment >> EEngulfed is b****cks blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aging One wrote:
Well, Sturm Europa! is still listed in the Academy Games, Inc. web catalogue. So, maybe it is not quite dead, yet.

"I think I'll go for a walk!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well if you are expecting the game to bre available when you return, you'd better make it a very long walk.

Accademy has so many new games we are waiting for, I wonder if they are not biting off more then they can chew....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sagitar wrote:
Well if you are expecting the game to bre available when you return, you'd better make it a very long walk.

Accademy has so many new games we are waiting for, I wonder if they are not biting off more then they can chew....

I don't wonder about that at all, I think it's quite evident. I'd love to see this game get released by Academy and picked up somewhere else, maybe even Kickstarted (although the risk of not getting final development handled is high going that route). At least it would come out though. I played it at BGG.con in 2010, and even then I'd have bought that game. I have heard some players say there are significant problems. I also read the replies of one of the long time play testers, and I trust his insight a bit more. All of this is of, course, shouting at the rain at this point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Pfeiffer
United States
Laporte
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was all excited when I found this game and learned it's premise. It seemed to take much of what most of us like in other epic ww2 games and make is simple...Cards, blocks, and so on.

But, my excitement is not there anymore. My guess is that the game is dead. It has been to long. I contacted the designer a while back and haven't received a reply...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elrond3737 wrote:
I was all excited when I found this game and learned it's premise. It seemed to take much of what most of us like in other epic ww2 games and make is simple...Cards, blocks, and so on.

But, my excitement is not there anymore. My guess is that the game is dead. It has been to long. I contacted the designer a while back and haven't received a reply...

Oh I couldn't aggree with you more.

Actually I too was excited and wanted to get this.
As I couldn't get Europe Engulfed this seemed the next best thing, but by now I'd actually forgotten about it.

This is not the only game where they start a hype about a new game, get people all exited and wanting it and than realise it probably might be a good idea to actually create the game.

I really hate that.yuk

So please if you are onto a great game, don't tell us untill you've got something you can actually sell us.soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Pfeiffer
United States
Laporte
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, I think this one looks good http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/61487/unconditional-surre...

Sal is quick in response to questions. It is a few dozen pre-orders before GMT prints it. COOL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Pfeiffer
United States
Laporte
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh... well then they should rename the p700 or something like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GMT says that once a game reaches 500 preorders, they commit to printing it. That doesn't mean they start the printing process immediately, though. Often the game will need more development, more work on the graphics, more playtesting, etc. The time to publish is not as closely related to the number of orders as you might think - just look at Won by the Sword, which has been on the P500 list for as long as I've been following it (so at least five years) and has over 1000 preorders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tan
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
That's me and my other pastime. I perform as John Lennon in several Beatles tribute acts.
mbmbmbmbmb
Guys,

Sorry its taken months for me to reply but here is the long awaited update on Sturm. First of all, I'd like to say that this is a whole lot more complicated than first glance otherwise I would have replied months ago. Without getting into the gory details, the skinny is the game has been in production limbo and I did not feel it was my place to speak for Academy Games. I am the designer but not the developer or publisher. I showed Uwe an advanced prototype of Sturm about 4 years ago and he loved it. Neither of us realized at the time that because of the scope of the game, it would require much more play testing and development than any other Academy title. Uwe is an incredibly dynamic individual but he wears a lot of hats at Academy Games and just didn't have the time to develop a monster game like Sturm. We turned to a good mutual friend Uli Blennemann, who is highly respected in the wargame industry, to serve as developer for the game. That did not work out but ended very amicably after about 1 year. So development fell back into Uwe's lap, and thus here we are 4 years later. Academy has a very aggressive production schedule for other titles that have a much faster design, playtest, and development cycle. As far as I know, nothing has happened with Sturm for months. I stopped design work on it over a year ago because the game is done. It's not play tested and developed, but that is not my role. If it is, I should self-publish as lack of financial resources is not an issue for me.

I need to have a conversation with Uwe otherwise the game is stuck in limbo. In the meantime, I've already moved on and am finishing the design of War Stories: Red Storm. Once that goes to the press, I'm going to refocus on Sturm. In the meantime, please don't go knocking down Uwe's door about this. Although I feel the ball is in his court, so to speak, it's my game. My baby. So I know the only way its going to see the light of day is for me to have an at length conversation with him about creating a definitive timetable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James McHaffey
United States
Rancho Santa Fe
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is exactly where we were a year ago on this thread:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/7686806#7686806

m3tan wrote:
Academy has a very aggressive production schedule for other titles that have a much faster design, playtest, and development cycle.

Their schedule is aggressive but it's also fantasy. My Storms of Steel rulebook states "First Men In - Normandy (Coming late 2009)" "Isle of Doom - Crete 1941 (Coming in 2010). If he's 3+ years late on expansions for his own game how long for somebody else's monster wargame??? Academy has basically published 3 games. Conflict of Heroes + expansions, Strike of the Eagle, and 1812. The first is his own game - you'll never get priority over that, the second is a reprint of a game that was already published in Poland - no development needed. I don't know the origins of 1812, but it's a very light game that doesn't strike me as one that required much development.

Translation: Find a new publisher. Academy makes great light wargames but they are way over their head on this. They are not the only publisher that makes wargames with nice components...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems to me they are now more interested in games that are easy to produce, afterall the sequel to 1812 popped up out of nowhere.

To me that seems like basically the same game with a different map and a rule change, so minimal efforts.
So i,m not holding my breath for games that take more effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex H.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
welcome your reptilian overlords!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no experience whatsoever in the publishing business but I would expect a publisher to respect designers he works with and be honest about the outlook for their game. I respect Uwe's work but if Academy keeps delaying, they will end up damaging their own reputation and the reputation of the game.
I really hope something can be worked out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I,m starting to fear the announced gettysburg game will go the same way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eld lei
msg tools
Really frustrating! I think we are many that are curious on this one!... hmm is there perhaps is some contractual/IP issue here that gets this stuck... or is it merely the lawyer in me ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.