Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantasy Flight Games is proud to announce the upcoming release of Relic, an adventure board game set in the grim darkness of the Warhammer 40,000 universe!

http://new.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3446
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
This came out of nowhere. Talisman set in the 40k universe. I expect I'll get a chance to check it out at Gen Con.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raviv Nagel
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mundane wrote:
This came out of nowhere.

Except for an announcememnt back in March in the Gama Trade Show.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
raviv wrote:
Mundane wrote:

I must have missed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Ruiz
United States
Calexico
CA - California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I'm EXCITED about the game I also feel kinda disappointed. I already knew it was going to be based on talisman mechanics (which mi haven't played and which i don't think there's a lot of conflict between players) but I was hoping for a Runewars with the theme of WH40K. I think Runewars could be the perfect game to be rethemed to WH40k fluff. Just change food,stone and wood for Energy Points, Resource Points, and strategy location points, they could also change the runes for Critical points or the one who construct 6 outpost or something even the Core armies could be Imperial guard, Space marines, Chaos and Necrons(because the Undead guys @ runewar even later on they could release new armies such as eldar, tyranids and all other races. But well enough of that I really hope that I like the game and my GF also likes it since she is the one with who i play most.

Thank You Everyone, have a great day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rog
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mundane wrote:
raviv wrote:
Mundane wrote:

I must have missed it.

Same here! surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg CZ
Hungary
BUDAPEST
Budapest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I still do not understand why Talisman???

yuk gulp zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Ruiz
United States
Calexico
CA - California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
leaxe wrote:
I still do not understand why Talisman???

yuk gulp zombie

Same here....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Denning
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because originally there was an expansion called TIMESCAPE that Games Workshop put out for Talisman.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1743/talisman-timescape
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Blahut
Hungary
Békéscsaba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's nothing wrong with Talisman.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
cirroid wrote:
There's nothing wrong with Talisman.

True.

In other news, I'm selling my copy of Talisman with a couple of expansions, because I'm never really interested in playing it. Anybody interested?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Thematic Colors of Gaming Blog
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm excited, finally a 40k game I can get my friends to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
I'm excited, finally a 40k game I can get my friends to play.

Agreed. I will be keeping my eye on this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blair
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bioball wrote:
Because originally there was an expansion called TIMESCAPE that Games Workshop put out for Talisman.

That and when Games Workshop published Talisman (since roughly the beginning?) it was loosely based off of Warhammer as it is (just not Warhammer 40k until Timescape was released).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Gill
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Talisman is the worst adventure game board anyone could possibly copy
It is literally Monopoly in one or two different directions. Moving in two directions just makes the game worse as you are constantly moving back and forth trying to roll the perfect number in order to land on the space that you want.

There are a lot of things I love about Talisman, but NOBODY 'likes' the board layout it is abysmally bad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hovercraft wrote:
Talisman is the worst adventure game board anyone could possibly copy
It is literally Monopoly in one or two different directions. Moving in two directions just makes the game worse as you are constantly moving back and forth trying to roll the perfect number in order to land on the space that you want.

There are a lot of things I love about Talisman, but NOBODY 'likes' the board layout it is abysmally bad

Hey, it's just like real life. 'You can't always get what you want.' (Where's Mick Jagger when you need him.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg CZ
Hungary
BUDAPEST
Budapest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are many games that would be really cool with a little 40K twist...

This game is PERFECT for a WH/40K retheme!!!

Talisman was not on my list.

I am still looking forward for more info on this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Seachrist
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a group of largely non-gamer buddies back in college that I could always talk into a game of Talisman. We typically picked the most interactive of the classes (i.e. ones with perpetual spells or stealing capabilities to mess with other players) and always played with a 4-5P count to ensure lots of conflict. And it goes great with beer.

Thing is, Talisman was always cartoony and lighthearted. These are not two adjectives I'd apply to WH40K unless I was playing orks. I'm not a fan of later Talisman editions either due to the tone shift to a more serious game (art affects mood, at least for me).

The person who characterized the board (and really, gameplay in general terms) as Monopoly is making an astute comparison. I don't really see Warhammer Monopoly working too well either. Mechanically Relic could be the same as Talisman, but I don't expect it'll feel much like warhammer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abdiel Xordium
msg tools
mbmb
Blair46 wrote:
That and when Games Workshop published Talisman (since roughly the beginning?) it was loosely based off of Warhammer as it is (just not Warhammer 40k until Timescape was released).

Only Talisman 3rd Edition was based in the Warhammer world. All the other versions -- in particular the classic 2nd edition and FFG's revised 4th edition -- have been independent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oldschoolgamr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Are you standin' yet?
badge
Artwork: My Daughter
mbmbmbmbmb
abdiel wrote:
Blair46 wrote:

Only Talisman 3rd Edition was based in the Warhammer world. All the other versions -- in particular the classic 2nd edition and FFG's revised 4th edition -- have been independent.

I am pretty sure I played the 2nd edition with the Timescape - which came with a space marine character card (that was freaking awesome...).

The info on BGG under "expands" links to the 1st edition and it was too long ago to remember what the box looked like exactly.

Some guy at my summer job had it and we played the heck out of it - all the expansions... way cool. I was so tired of being DM and Talisman gave me a way to enjoy the adventure with a group - no DM required.

The guy told me he had it imported from England - so I transcribed the board onto cardboard and copied all the space/card text into a notebook. I then cut out cardboard squares and wrote numbers on each that referred to the notebook entries... Draw and Play I suppose.

Found a proper 3rd edition in college and the marathon sessions began.

I am betting that FFG have altered enough about the game and mechanics (corruption for example)to make the game a more serious and fitting landscape for the 40K universe... guess we'll have to wait and see...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bioball wrote:

This expansion was my all time favorite of the Talisman expansions, and I had been holding off on a purchase of 4th edition until they made good on a replacement. Glad I did.

Talisman is a mechanically backwards game, and I probably wouldn't play it much, but Relic speaks to my thematic tastes enough to get in the door.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.