Erik Syvertsen
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
General Sherman says have a great day!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always eyed this game, but I notice that the description mentions the Union forces approaching the "partially hidden" CSA forces.

Is it possible to play this solitaire, or is there a strong "hidden set up" component?

Thanks for the info!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thomas fernbacker
United States
hicksville
New York
flag msg tools
gbacw nut
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not pulled this game out in 27yrs and I do not remember the CSA having a hidden facter other than the "Abatis" counters and the fords, Solitare sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles McLellan
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
There is initially, a strong, "hidden set up" component. As opposed to the prior reply, the abatis and fords are NOT hidden.

At the start of the game, 7 Confederate Brigades, 1 Detachment, 1 artillery group, and both army commanders are "hidden." I've put hidden in quotes because the units are limited in the range in which they can set up, and they are all on the map and visible, just set up face down so that their exact identity and strength are unknown to the Union player.

Three brigades, 1 detachment, 1 artillery group and 2 independent units are set up face up and are normally free to move during the Confederate player-turns.

All Union units are set-up face up.

The Confederate face down units are termed "frozen." Frozen units cannot do anything and their exact identification remains "hidden" from the Union player. These "frozen" units become unfrozen when any one of three conditions is met:

1) When a Union unit comes within 4 hexes of a frozen Confederate unit(s), Union movement stops and the Confederate player immediately flips the frozen unit(s) to reveal its(their) identity.

2) When a Union unit comes within 4 hexes of a frozen Confederate leader, after the leader is revealed, ALL the frozen Confederate units are immediately unfrozen.

3) At the start of the Confederate 10:30 AM turn.

You can still play solitaire, just leave all the units face up but inactive until they would have become unfrozen by conditions. This play can help develop strategies and tactics of play.

Of course, it is better if you play with an opponent so that hidden Confederate units are actually unknown to the Union player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Syvertsen
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
General Sherman says have a great day!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the replies - I nabbed this unpunched for $10 on ebay yesterday. For that price I decided I'd make it work even if solitaire wasn't possible, but I see that it is. My wife and my friends will play pretty much anything EXCEPT hex and counter wargames, at least so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thomas fernbacker
United States
hicksville
New York
flag msg tools
gbacw nut
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good for you,
I'm glad somelse gave a better reply.
It really has been 27yrs, cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles McLellan
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
That is a great buy.

If you can't get your wife or friends to attempt a hex movement game, you could download the VASSAL module and try an online or play by e-mail game with an opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Keeler
Germany
Mittelbrunn
Rhineland-Palatinate
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Hidden aspect has little effect on solitaire
I'm on my second run through of this game solitaire after buying it just a few weeks. The hidden setup aspect for the CSA player has little effect on the solitaire ability of this game. The CSA setup is pretty tightly restricted, so its no great mystery to the USA player what he is facing. The face down frozen pieces unfreeze/unhide very quickly anyway. This is largely not a factor in the game. What is a factor factor is the USA player paying very close attention to brigade and division alignments and the command chain needed to mount offensives. BTW, I really like this game so far. No idea why AH never released this back in their 1970s hey-day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.