7 Posts

Space Hulk (third edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Space Hulk - to buy or not to buy , that is the question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Isaac Heres
Israel
flag msg tools
When I play games I play solo all the time and the first time I seen or heard of this game was in the "Watched it Played" videos and the artwork on the board was a huge wow factor for me but it leaves me with certain questions

1. How big is the box if you are traveling?
2. What is the difficulty rating compared to other games like Doom: the boardgame?
3. Is this game playable solo or is this one of those kind of games where you can't play both roles?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The box is pretty big. Theres photos in the gallery giving an idea of its size.

Its fairly straightforward really.

No. The game has no solo rules. Can you play it against yourself. Yes. But then so can every other game on earth. But its not solo. It is though fairly straightforward if you want to "automate" the genestealers since they win through swarm tactics and wittling down the Terminators.

Other things to keep in mind.

The big one is that you are not going to get replacements after all this time. Maybee minis. But its safe to assume GW's backstock of tiles are long gone and any mini replacements they might offer are likely to be from off the shelf 40k stock. I believe theres a report her or elsewhere of someone sending in for replacements last year and getting a standard box of retail genestealers.

Another problem is that the tiles are unusually prone to warping. Either in the box, or once openened. Might never happen. But prepare for the worst. Theres no ryme or reason to whats causing it as there have been reports from dry areas, wet ones and normal ones. And just as many reports of perfectly fine sets in all of the above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Buy.

It's one of the best games ever made.
Period.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
volnon wrote:

Buy.

It's one of the best games ever made.
Period.

Not if you want something smaller and more portable. whistle

In which case the Death Angel: Space Hulk game may be the better option. And it plays solo or co-op.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Konior
Australia
Swan View
WA
flag msg tools
mb
The box is exactly the same size as Dreadfleet and Battleship Galaxies. Otherwise the same height as Arkham Horror but longer, or taller than Claustrophobia and slightly less wide. I can do this all day.

The difficulty is fairly straightforward, the rules are a bit iffy around the edges (as almost any game) so Watch It Played helped a lot.

You can't play it solo. And while it's beautiful it quickly becomes annoying that the models are too big for the spaces...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Call
United States
Pocatello
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The short answer: you shouldn't buy this to play solo.

The long answer:

(1) The box is too big to travel with.

(a) Solution: Make a print and play version of the game using 15mm tiles. It's still big enough to maintain the "epic board game" feel of the game, and there are some nice minis you can get if you don't mind not maintaining the Warhammer 40k theme (like Aliens vs Predator).

(2) The difficulty is perfect (I think).

(a) Explanation: It's not as complicated as something like Legions of Steel, and it has plenty of extra stuff if you want to complicate things (like rules for adding other 40k minis) or for simplifying things (like using the rules from 1st edition with none of the cool new weapons).

(3) This isn't the kind of game you want to play solo.

(a) Explanation: You CAN play it solo (there's a six part series of a guy playing this in the Space Hulk 3E forum), but it's about six hours long and it doesn't seem fun to me. YMMV, though. On the other hand, devising missions (for you and and another person to play) is still a worthwhile solo activity...and if you like painting minis, that's another solo element to the game you might enjoy.

(b1) Solution 1: You could play Space Hulk: Death Angel (the card game) as someone else suggested...but it's not the same. Does it evoke a space hulk-like feeling? To a certain extent, yes. But it doesn't have the same tactical element. For example, this...

"Do I send Scipio down this corridor so he can open that door and have line of sight on multiple corridors, or do I keep him here so he can stay on overwatch?"

Becomes this...

"Do I move Scipio up one space in the queue so he can try to shoot at the genestealer in front of Claudio, or do I wait and use his special ability next turn?"

(b2) Solution 2: Buy a different game that's more easily portable and also plays a good solo variant. Unfortunately, the only ones I can think of that might scratch that itch are out of print: Intruder and Lost Patrol. Fortunately, though, there are some print and play options for both of these games (see, for example, Patrol: Lost!)...and maybe talk to some friendly geeks who have files for those games.

Frankly, I'm in the same boat as you (I play a lot of solo games, I loved the tiles and pieces and wanted a good tactical game that I could play with friends or play solo), and, since I'm CRAAAAZY wowsurprisezombiedevil... I've done all of the things mentioned here:

I own a copy of Space Hulk 3rd Edition (two, actually, because I want my son to have one when he's older) and I've painted the pieces for one of those games.

I've purchased a 10mm version of Space Hulk (someone else assembled it and I bought it off ebay), and the whole game fits in a quart-sized zip lock baggie. I can comfortable play that game in a moving car (it's magnetic) and have fun doing so...but it's not as good as...

My 15mm version, which uses Alien and Predator minis (and space marines) from Khurusan Miniatures. It's easy to throw in a suit case or take to a friend's house, but not so tiny as the 10mm magnetic version (which feels less epic and doesn't look quite as cool). I put a lot of love into this version and it's actually my favorite so far (I even got some Alien-Predator hybrids to use as Genestealer Hybrids, which have been impossible to find and are uber expensive when they show up on ebay). Plus the AvP theme attracts people that might otherwise not be interested in playing the 40K themed Space Hulk.

I've made a print and play version of Intruder and Lost: Patrol so that I can play solo or with a friend. They are easily transportable and (bonus) they all fit in my AvP rethemed Space Hulk box (so I have options).

The last question you didn't ask here (and is probably not a problem for you) is whether you could play Space Hulk with MORE than two people (I wanted to be able to play SH by myself, with another person, AND with 3-4 friends). To solve that, I bought the second copy (which is *cough* for my son *cough*) and I've made a PnP version of the full on 28mm version of Space Hulk (so I technically have three full-sized versions of the game), which I could combine to play 3-4 Space Marine teams and 1-3 Genestealer teams.

There are probably better solutions for four-player tactical-combat games out there (I have some zombie-themed games that, while not exactly like Space Hulk, have a similar mechanic: heroes use action points to move around a grid-map and attack monsters that are trying to kill them while also achieving an objective; and Zombie Plague and Dead of Night do that), but I don't know of any that really scratch the Space Hulk itch. I'm sure they exist though.

So yeah. Is Space Hulk worth owning? Yes. Absolutely. Should you buy it to play solo? No, probably not.

Hope that helps. And sorry for the ramble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruben Rigillo
Italy
Roma
Rm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Hulk 1st ed supplement "Deathwing", had some good solo rules. I don't know if they're good for 3rd ed too, but I remember I had lot of fun playing it years ago.
....and if you're able to find a copy on the ebay....but this is a thread already discussed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.