Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darin Stephenson
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
I do not run and hide... I strategically maneuver.
mbmbmbmbmb
We had an odd situation with Biotechnology in the 2v2 partnership game. My son (playing as my partner) played it and executed the dogma to steal a "leaf" card from one of the opponents. My son had the most leaves, but I was the only player to satisfy the "2 or fewer leaves" requirement. A strict reading of the card would say we won, but it felt as if activating that part of the dogma should be based on one of the opponents having 2 or fewer leaves.

We were having a good time, so we played on, and lost on "drawing an 11" about a turn before he could activate Biotechnology in an instance where someone on the other side had 2 or fewer leaves.

Is there an official clarification, or how would you play this?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Cingolani
Italy
Arezzo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You and your son should have won the game with the Biotech dogmas.

Let's say that your son had 3 clocks and 4 leaves (2 leaves on an active card), you had 4 clocks and 2 leaves (no leaves on active cards) and the player after you (so before your son in turn order) had 3 clocks and 3 leaves (all the leaves on a single active card). The fourth player just had 2 clocks.

Your son activates the Biotech card. You transfer the single active card of the player after you from his Zone to your Influence. The player after you transfers your son's active card with 2 leaves in his Influence. Your son does nothing (no more Active cards with leaves on it to transfer).

Then, as per the 2nd Dogma, you're the first to check for the win condition, you have only 2 leaves, you win -> your team wins.

Whenever a card states that a player wins "if...", in the team game it's the team that wins, never the single player who satisfies (as first) the cooperative Dogma that gives the win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope -- that should've concluded the game.

Similarly, if you had been forced to activate the card by something such as Computers, it could've wound up giving the opponents the victory (if they had more leaves)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Stephenson
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
I do not run and hide... I strategically maneuver.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the response! ...that's what I thought (even though we ended up playing it the other way).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.