United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think most people can agree that one of the most annoying parts of this game is the "DF tokens facedown in the server pool, randomly chosen and placed facedown on rooms" fiddliness.
After just 2 games, I've started playing with a die to mark how much data is in a room, with a bag to pull tokens out from.

But then I thought of this simple variant:

* Randomize DF token pool at the beginning of the game (with a dicebag or whatever).
* When you enter a room, or when you destroy a tech lock/lab worker, place the appropriate number of DF tokens in the room face up.
* When downloading/extracting/removing tokens from a room, you must take 1-value tokens first, then 2s, then 3s.
* Players' DF tokens are still kept facedown.

This reduces some of the fiddliness but keeps the spirit of the game.
It allows a bit more "counting" strategy but I don't think it's a down side.

I might give this variant a shot at our next session; what do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
One additional thought:
Yes, this means if multiple people are Downloading in the same room, the second player might get more benefit.

One additional rule:
If players are retrieving data from the same room _simultaneously_ (such as Extracting with multiple people in the same room), the data is distributed as evenly as possible (all the 1s dealt out to everyone, then all the 2s, etc) with priority going to the _first_ player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it. It adds more tactical backstabbing into the mix.

What I love about games with such light but evocative themes is that pretty much any rule can be abstracted to make sense. For example, the face down tokens can represent unknown usefulness of given bits of data (you grab things that sound juicy but might turn out to be unimportant) or the ambiguity of encrypted files. This "lowest value = first out" queue system can represent the least valuable data being the least secure and easiest to extract.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.