Popular Tags: [View All]
Tiago Perretto
Brazil
Curitiba
Parana
flag msg tools
Thinking about my next move.
badge
So, if my only options are these, then I shall...
mbmbmbmbmb
Foreword: Sorry for the mistakes in grammar and spelling. I do try.

The races were as follows:

Waiqar the Undying - I
Uthuk Y'lann - Marcelo
Latari Elves - Fabiano
Daqan Lords - Éder

The match was fairly quiet in the early stages. The expansion of the races was only aggressive towards the neutral forces.

The Fabiano and I followed almost the same strategy: to expand the gathering of food in order to be able to maintain larger armies in the border regions. We both accomplish our objectives, and from the 3rd year on, we visibly had the supremacy in the number of units.

The Heroes of everyone traveled through regions undisturbed. No duel between them happened at any time. The Hero of the Uthuk deserted, but two years later, the Uthuk managed to bribe other Hero to abandon their masters - the Daqan - and change his alliances to them.

The Uthuk unlike the Latari and the Waiqar, much preferred to expand quickly, conquering in three years seven regions from the neutral forces and completing his starting objective. Only one unit of Razorwings resisted the advance, destroying one and forcing another unit of the Uthuk to retreat. Fabiano's friend, struggled with the English text on the cards, yet played well, conquering two cities with their riders and began to threaten the elven territory of Fabiano.

I successfully allied with a Dragon, and thus blocked all the spaces that allowed access to the heart of my empire. Then mobilized units from within to strengthen my borders. So I had the maximum allowed (8 units) in three of the spaces and also had three fortresses. If the game continued into the fifth and sixth years, I will be reasonably prepared to resist against the elves and attack the Uthuk.

The Uthuks, in their turn, crossed the mountains to make a surprise attack against the Daqan Lords, facing only the few units that remained behind in the territory. The conflict was fast and overwhelmingly, but to neither side was satisfactory, because the rune there was false.

On the border between the elves and the Daqan Lords the peace fell apart and full out war started. The elves attacked a fortress-city of the Daqan and despite some losses, the warriors and archers overcame the defenses and dominated the local, getting a rune in the process.

At the end of the 4th year we had to finish due time. The runes were revealed and both the Uthuks of Marcelo and my Waiqar were tied with five runes each. Marcelo had a larger territory but they weren't as well defended as Fabiano's or mine. He was unfortunated enough to have collected three false runes; I only got one. In the tiebreaker I took advantage by having more Influence tokens (8 to 3). It was unfair, because considering only the four years played, Marcelo played better despite having more difficulties (units killed, losing the Hero, get multiple runes false). Maybe if we played the full six years, I could have changed my opinion, for me or for Fabiano, as he would enter into a bloodbath against Daqan and had a good chance to be the winner.

It was interesting that during the explanation of the game, I remembered that I've played Runewars before! I couldn't remember the game itself, but the combat system and the wheels of resources I did remember.

Runewars is quite interesting, with good weight for both strategic and tactical thinking. The but is that it takes so much time: the preparation of the map and pieces takes really long, and the gameplay following suit. The game has "only" 24 main actions in the entire match, but each one requires an assessment not only of the action itself, but also the order of execution of them and analyze what the others intend to do. Complex, at least.

So for anyone who is not afraid of the Big Bad Wolf of Playing Time, Runewars enables a rewarding experience and full of events. Sure, it's a game for those who enjoy confrontation - in the beginning there is room to fight only the neutral forces, but from the and end of the 3rd year (or at the most the 4th year), the map more closely resembles that of Smallworld, with all regions occupied by many units and any movement will cause not only a conflict, but also a big one!

In short: very cool.

Regards,

Edit: Include the name of the player that used the Daqan (Éder).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tiagoVIP wrote:
He was unfortunated enough to have collected three false runes; I only got one.

I could be misreading this, but it sounds as if you may have played a rule incorrectly. In the basic rules, using hidden runes, every time a player gains a rune he gets both a blank and a real rune, and must place them in separate hexes he controls. He may discard 1 or 2 blank runes before making this placement, if he wishes to do so.
TK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Perretto
Brazil
Curitiba
Parana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tkelly wrote:
tiagoVIP wrote:
He was unfortunated enough to have collected three false runes; I only got one.

I could be misreading this, but it sounds as if you may have played a rule incorrectly. In the basic rules, using hidden runes, every time a player gains a rune he gets both a blank and a real rune, and must place them in separate hexes he controls. He may discard 1 or 2 blank runes before making this placement, if he wishes to do so.
TK

Thanks for point it out! We indeed did. The owner of the game (Fabiano) caught that mid-play, but since we were playing wrong the commom decision was to keep going this way until the end.

Regards,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Perretto
Brazil
Curitiba
Parana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some images of the game:

From left to right: Me, Marcelo, Éder and Fabiano taking the picture

Regards,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.