Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm fairly new to the game and absolutely love it. It seems a lot of people are playing too, so I'm wondering if it might be a fun idea to set up a little solo tournament/season to get everyone doing the same quests with the same card pool at the same time and sharing results? We can slowly work our way through all of the expansions.

Maybe to start, 2 runs through each of the scenarios in the 1st Core set with the same deck chosen at start? Compare total scores at the end.

There's a few ways to guarantee that everyone gets the same encounter deck sequence - use of software (lckeyccg, octgn, VASSAL) or just manually by having a text file replace drawing from the deck.

Just tossing the idea out to gauge interest and get feedback on possible approaches if people do want to try something like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Barth
Germany
flag msg tools
I might be interested in such thing (not sure yet).

But I am not a fan of pre-scripted encounter decks, while it might sound fair on paper, it really isn't. Consider a basic example: We both play Passage Through Mirkwood, but one of us engages the Forest Spider, the other doesn't. And since the spider gets a shadow card, now the encounter cards will already be different for the both of us.

And not even mentioning the hassle setting up such an encounter deck would be ;)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course you're right. I thought of that as well but I figured it would still be a lot fairer than everyone shuffling their own. There are instances where it would be key - Ungoliant's Spawn or a 2nd Hill Troll as the first encounter draw on the first two missions respectively and things like that. If something major like that happens for one player, it should also happen for all.

An alternative that might also work is to pull shadows from the bottom of the deck (or from a side deck formed out of the bottom x cards of the encounter deck) so that the sequence of encounter pulls does end up being almost the same. But there are problems with that approach too (Denethor tossing undesirables to the bottom) so it might not be worth it.

I would be willing to prepare the file for the encounter deck, so no major hassle (other than players having to expose that file line by line and then picking out the card). It we all used the same computer tool for playing it would be even easier - I'd just do the shuffle and send out the file. But personally, I'd much rather play with the actual cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Douglas
msg tools
peterk1 wrote:
Of course you're right. I thought of that as well but I figured it would still be a lot fairer than everyone shuffling their own. There are instances where it would be key - Ungoliant's Spawn or a 2nd Hill Troll as the first encounter draw on the first two missions respectively and things like that. If something major like that happens for one player, it should also happen for all.

This is where you have to trust in your deck and the law of probabilities.

Deck: If you have a properly configured deck, you can deal with many (certainly not the double-troll scenario, but many) bad situations.

Probability: If a player gets totally hammered in one quest, it is also likely that they have a quest that is a total breeze and it equals out.

My idea would be to run through each quest twice and drop the higher of your two scores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Barth
Germany
flag msg tools
ddavidc wrote:
(certainly not the double-troll scenario, but many)

Just as a small sidenote: I don't find the double-troll to be too bad for decks with a constant threat below 30. Granted, you do end up with a pretty bad score, because it might take ages to rid yourself of the 2nd copy, but winning is still in the realm of reasonable chances.

(And as far as tournaments go: Winning with a bad score would still be better than losing I guess *g*)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
Livin's mostly wasting time, and I waste my share of mine
badge
I am a breathing time machine
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll take two trolls over a Sleeping Sentry shadow triggering any day. That's an insta-lose!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the idea of two plays and tossing the highest score with users shuffling their own deck. If you're unlucky on play 1, you still get one more shot.

Actually, the way I'm thinking of doing this, you would still be able to win even though you lose!

Would this fly? It's a variation of the swiss system in chess tourneys.

Every player is matched against another player.

You record two plays on two separate days. You have to report the score for play 1 before playing play 2 so your opponent has an idea of what to shoot for.

After the two scores come in, highest score is tossed. Player who scores lower wins the match and in the next round goes on to also play someone who won their match. Loser goes on to play someone who lost their match.

Keep decks constant or switch them up between, or maybe limited switching? I'm thinking it would be more of a challenge to keep the same deck.

Going through the 3 core missions would need 8 players. Would probably take a week or so. With more players, we could add more missions in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're talking about just doing the three quests from the core set, it would seem that anyone who beats Dol Guldur would likely win, if anyone beats it. I know it's possible solo, but it's a lottery to get the encounter cards out in a favorable order. Thus, the tournament could still be decided by luck of the draw of the encounter deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But only two players go into the 3rd round undefeated (in theory the best and most consistent two). So best score there wins the "tourny" regardless of whether they actually beat the scenario.

Just an idea of how to have fun with this without really worrying about winning or losing the scenarios themselves.

Haven't played too much with scoring. Is it possible/likely for a loss to end up with a better score than a win? I just noticed that there's nothing in the scoring that actually checks how far you advanced into the scenario before falling, which is a bit of a shame.

I may have to come up with a modified scoring method for this to work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You only score if you've beaten the scenario. There are scoring methods to deal with this. Check out the Living Tourneys on the FFG forums for one method.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was watching a video the other day, and the scoring system the person was using involved keeping track of how many rounds the game lasted and he mentioned that the score should be tallied after every round. I was a bit surprised to find that it wasn't at all the same as what was in the rules that came with core set one. Just wondering if they have been changed since then in one of the expansions.

Thanks for pointing me to the FFG forums. Haven't done much exploring on there yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peterk1 wrote:
I was watching a video the other day, and the scoring system the person was using involved keeping track of how many rounds the game lasted and he mentioned that the score should be tallied after every round. I was a bit surprised to find that it wasn't at all the same as what was in the rules that came with core set one. Just wondering if they have been changed since then in one of the expansions.

Thanks for pointing me to the FFG forums. Haven't done much exploring on there yet.

Probably an idea is to give an extra 300 points if you lose a game and count up the other VP/damage/dead hero so I think the penalty is quite severe for the average score.

I like the idea and I think probably at least 3 or 5 games with the same deck and encounters to mitigate the luck of weak encounter draws.

Count me in but my suggestion is to pick a beatable scenarios without too much luck so probably scenarios like Dol Guldur or Journey to Rhosgobel shouldn't be used

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For those interested, here's the link to the Living Tournament over at the FFG forums:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?e...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How would people feel about getting points for each stage of a quest completed? I have an idea percolating in my head that I'll have to playtest a little bit (starting tonight). The idea is that if you fail miserably on the first stage of a quest you'll get nothing, but if you make it almost to the end without crashing you'll get a fair number of points.

This would make a very tough scenario usable in a tourny setting since the winner does not actually have to win the scenario. (If it works out, it will also be much better for evaluating decks than the current standard system which treats all losses as equal).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Barth
Germany
flag msg tools
Maybe a simple solution going in that direction would be to use quest stages as tie-breakers.
Player A loses, but makes it to stage 3, while player B loses without advancing any quest stage. A scores "better".

(The reason I am posting this, is because I like to keep it simple. Attaching some arbitrary point values to the stages seems like to be a big hassle and hard to balance).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.