Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Harper Hobbs
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wife wants me to find a new board game. We mainly play together, but would like a game that can stretch to 4 or 5 also.

These are exact quotes from what wifey is looking for:

"Must be really thematic and have high quality components. No-minimal cubes of different shapes and colors to symbolize objects"

"Must be a BOARD game, and the more customizable the board the better."

"I love rolling dice and the chance involved. Also I like having inventory cards like resource cards in catan or weapons/special move cards in LNOE"

"CANNOT be Fantasy/Wizards/Magic/Spells at all"

Games we own she likes and why : Agricola (building the way you want/ various ways to win), Catan (trading/building), Old Stratego(hidden moves) , and Risk (dice rolling and dominating other players)

Games we own she hates and why
: letters to whitechapel (too slow and too much thinking makes it un-fun) , Tobago "to childlike"

Game we own she kinda likes : Last Night on Earth "but zombies are OP, I want to be myself- Not a character with unique abilities, and theme is too dark")

Thank you boardgamegeek. I signed up JUST for this because I am desperate to keep game night alive. All your recommendations are appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
mbmbmbmbmb
Le Havre is similar to Agricola. She may enjoy that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest Homesteaders

Great components: Thick tiles, the livestock meeples are shaped and painted like cows, the food is shaped like little apples, the steel is shaped like steel girders

Theme: Developing a settlement in the midwest and the game does an excellent job of developing that theme

Plays well with 2 through 4.

No dice though

Scratches the same itch as Le Havre and Agricola except it plays in 1 hour (2 player) as opposed to 2 (4 players would prob take 90 minutes).

You can get it for under $30, but given the quality of components, its worth twice that.

Just make sure, if you get it, its the second edition. But that shouldn't be a problem because the first printing should be long gone by now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thebes has a pretty board, cards that are kind of like abilities, and luck via digging in the bags for artifacts. The mechanics fit the theme beautifully. No dice, and the board is static.

Forbidden Island has a modular tile board, beautiful components, and cards. Perhaps lighter than you wanted, and parts of the theme are arguably slightly mystical. You have a role but it's pretty generic. How do you feel about co-ops? Some people feel FI is more for children, but I disagree.

Conquest of Planet Earth: The Space Alien Game perhaps? I only played once, and we got some rules wrong, so consider this a question rather than a recommendation. Very thematic, and you have ability/inventory cards. Combat via dice rolls. You didn't say whether alien sci-fi was ok or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harper Hobbs
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ironically our local board game store showed us and taught us Le Havre, Agricola, and Puerto Rico for our "gateway game". WE choose Agricola and aren't interested in anything similar. Thanks for the suggestion though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
Age of Empires, AKA Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harper Hobbs
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
Thebes has a pretty board, cards that are kind of like abilities, and luck via digging in the bags for artifacts. The mechanics fit the theme beautifully. No dice, and the board is static.

Forbidden Island has a modular tile board, beautiful components, and cards. Perhaps lighter than you wanted, and parts of the theme are arguably slightly mystical. You have a role but it's pretty generic. How do you feel about co-ops? Some people feel FI is more for children, but I disagree.

Conquest of Planet Earth: The Space Alien Game perhaps? I only played once, and we got some rules wrong, so consider this a question rather than a recommendation. Very thematic, and you have ability/inventory cards. Combat via dice rolls. You didn't say whether alien sci-fi was ok or not.

Much like Homesteaders, Forbidden Island is not a board in her optinion. Thebes might work though.

Anything closer to a game playing out like a story like LNOE but without being dark?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harper Hobbs
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ozludo wrote:
This might work too. Thanks for the suggestion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yann Gomez
Canada
flag msg tools
Merchants & Marauders has plenty of die-rolling and still a lot of strategy, is as thematic as it gets, and beautiful components. Plays well from 2 to 4 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SPM
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Merchants & Marauders
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harper Hobbs
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
OlorinsCousin wrote:
Merchants & Marauders has plenty of die-rolling and still a lot of strategy, is as thematic as it gets, and beautiful components. Plays well from 2 to 4 players.

Actually we have been looking at this game and Cyclades. But the reviews of M&M (clunky, slow, and long) have us scared and we hear Cyclades sucks with 2 people.

But those are games that we are interested in in terms of interaction and components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Porter
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flash Point: Fire Rescue has some deliciously tense dice rolls - lots of very thematic randomness, and tells a great story in every game. Might be worth a look.

Thurn and Taxis has gone down well with my girlfriend recently and she's picky too! No dice rolls though, but nice components and theme. Feels very much like a traditional boardgame (since you say she likes Risk), but with a great Euro-game mechanic.

Kingdom Builder is the boardgame I own with the most customisable board. It has plenty of randomness (although it's cards rather than dice) and great components. The theme is a little absent, but it looks so nice that it still has a really nice "atmosphere" about it. Again, popular with my girlfriend and other non-gamer friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harper Hobbs
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Adam78 wrote:
Flash Point Fire Rescue has some deliciously tense dice rolls - lots of very thematic randomness, and tells a great story in every game. Might be worth a look.

Thurn and Taxis has gone down well with my girlfriend recently and she's picky too! No dice rolls though, but nice components and theme. Feels very much like a traditional boardgame (since you say she likes Risk), but with a great Euro-game mechanic.

Already have it pre-ordered + expansions through Kickstarter. Will be delivered in Oct. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank M.
United States
upstate New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Memoir '44 fits your criteria almost perfectly. Would she go for the war theme? Might be easier to sell as a "protect or liberate the towns" game?

Ora et Labora is superb but no dice.

Troyes may be a possibility.

Stone Age

Glen More is excellent, map, but cubes & only die is for dummy player

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
Bhobs wrote:
...we hear Cyclades sucks with 2 people.

I think it would be pretty weak with two (I have not tried it that way), but someone I know has tried Cyclades 2p and liked it. YMMV
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender
Estonia
Tallinn
Estonia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest Shear Panic. Scales well from 2-4, has boards, is thematic and uses high quality components. She gets pleasure out of it, but the game is actually quite strategic. It even features luck, as you get to throw the die to indicate a "lamb slam"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Miller
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Working through the night Jeff fixed the broken link. After being fixed the broken link became Jeff's BGG profile.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bhobs wrote:
"Must be really thematic and have high quality components. No-minimal cubes of different shapes and colors to symbolize objects"

"I love rolling dice and the chance involved. Also I like having inventory cards like resource cards in catan or weapons/special move cards in LNOE"

Sounds like you just described Nexus Ops! (So long as "space" or "aliens" don't fall into her definition on fantasy).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harper Hobbs
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
skifreak737 wrote:
Memoir '44 fits your criteria almost perfectly. Would she go for the war theme? Might be easier to sell as a "protect or liberate the towns" game?

Ora et Labora is superb but no dice.

Troyes may be a possibility.

Stone Age

Another vote for Homedsteaders

Glen More is excellent, map & resources, no dice

Ora et Labora seems to scartch the same itch as Agricola and both want something different

We own Memoir 44 and she wants me to trade it in because she hates it. I am saving it to play with my kids.

Homesteaders is not a "board" like she wants

I'll check out the other 3. I greatly appreciate your time and input
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harper Hobbs
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mildthrill wrote:
Bhobs wrote:

Sounds like you just described Nexus Ops! (So long as "space" or "aliens" don't fall into her definition on fantasy).

Never heard of it, I'll check it out. Thanks!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harper Hobbs
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
siretsch wrote:
I would suggest Shear Panic. Scales well from 2-4, has boards, is thematic and uses high quality components. She gets pleasure out of it, but the game is actually quite strategic. It even features luck, as you get to throw the die to indicate a "lamb slam"

Wife doesn't like the theme. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Roberts
United States
East Windsor
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could give Invasion from Outer Space: The Martian Gamea shot. It is much like lnoe but with carnival folk vs 1950s Martian, so the theme isnt so dark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jill Reid
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska (NE)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Thebes
+1 Stone Age with the expansion (eventually) Stone Age: The Expansion Great components, lots of paths to victory, stretches to 5 players with expansion.

Look at Finca Really pretty board, great fruit bits, board set up changes a little each game, plays great 2-4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Durham
United States
Vancouver
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Thurn and Taxis.

I know it sounds like the dryest theme ever, but WAY funner than it sounds.

I would also suggest Colusseum, though I'm not sure how it plays with 2 (or if it even does)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe S
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short to be angry all the time. Smile and enjoy the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle Line

And it's portable
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Nolte
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although it is minimally "board" and more "card", I've seen "7 Wonders" be very successful with other picky wives.

It's got a real world theme, is easily expandable to 5-7 players, and can be played quickly enough that players usually go, "Another!"
It is also the kind of game where no one feels "out of it" until the very end. You're rarely sure until scoring at the end.

Highly recommended.

Also, "On the Underground". Building London subways. Just place 4 track pieces a turn, and move a rider to random stops around the map, hoping he rides your lines to score points. Much fun for up to 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.