Dungeon Command: Sting of Lolth» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Commander Strategic differences Sting of Lolth rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
john berry
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have played this game a lot since launch and thought I would get some basic strategies on this forum that have come into play during my sessions, mostly to do with the different commanders and how they play with their war bands and card sets.

I have included only Sting of Lolth of the 2 currently available Faction packs in this post - Heart of Cormyr to follow.

All of these notes assume you are using the default faction boxes complete with all of their cards and creatures,with no changes or substitutions.

Sting of Lolth:

Aliszandra Malistros.
Creature Hand : 4
Starting Order Hand : 5
Morale : 13
Leadership : 7

Ability : Walls of Web
(Add 2 to the Speed of Each Spider and Drow creature you control.)

My current favourite commander gives you massive board contol with her power to increase the movement of most of her faction to much larger levels than her opposite number could keep up with.
I like to employ a "treasure grab" strategy with her, if possible :

Treasure Grab

Deploy any Spider in your starting hand.The Demonweb Spider or Giant Spider will now have 9 squares of move each round - if you are lucky to get multiple Spiders in your initial hand then deploy as many as you can and run straight for the mid board Treasure to discover how many tokens are there ,whilst trying to stay in cover,as the HOC faction has lots of 10 range shooters that could pick off your weaker units in 1 activation.
If the treasure is only 1 unit take this in your first turn as this will add 1 to your morale and prevent your opponent from doing likewise.
"Alisz" already starts with 13 morale so of you mange to grab half of the treasure you will have good advantage over your enemy and a basis to win.
At this point if your opponent takes out some of your arachnid buddies it shold not hurt too much as you will only lose 1 morale for each Demonweb lost as they are level 1 creatures. Your aim is to try to soak up as much of the treasure (and morale boost) before your critters get taken out - if 1 Demonweb Spider can grab 3 morale for you before dying then you will be 2 morale better off than your enemy already!
This can also work with the Drider creature as she has a massive 12 move with this Commander although this is more risky as she covers 4 squares and can be hit much more easily and can get caught on terrain more often than the smaller spiders.

Whilst your spiders are grabbing treasure try to get one of the Drow House Guards on to the map to provide cover and try to kill any creature that you can to hit you enemy's morale score and you will soon have a big morale lead. This makes it less risky to bring out the big gun of the Umber Hulk to finish off your enemy and get victory.

Kalteros the Sellsword

Creature Hand : 3
Starting Order Hand : 4
Morale : 12
Leadership : 9

Abilty : Sellsword
(Whenever a Drow you control collects a treasure token,you can draw 1 order card instead of gaining 1 morale)

Use this salty dude's card generation to your advantage ,as it is hard to out damage HOC faction teams. He has the largest leadership score in the game so generate lots of low level creatures and run for the treasure alternating between picking extra cards or morale as you see fit.Then,as you have more cards,therefore more defensive and offensive options,go for the jugular with by bringing out your Shadow Mastiff - this Beast can deploy right next to any wall using it Shadow Stalker ability - which means you can start him next to your enemy or directly onto a treasure square!
I always like to deploy the Drow Priestess as soon as I can,especially if you have any of the wisdom based cards in your already expansive hand as all of these generate even more cards - Lolth's Blessing allows you to draw 2 cards a round instead of the usual 1 - this can give you a huge advantage, even more so if it happens right at the start of the game - always remember if your opponent has no cards in their hand they have less defence against your attacks.

I will post about the Commanders from Heart of Cormyr, soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casper Points
Abkhazia
Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well written sir, I salute you, with your fine advice I shall be the terror of the tunnels and will put the POW into DROW!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen biggs
England
flag msg tools
johnber wrote:

Aliszandra Malistros.
Creature Hand : 4
Starting Order Hand : 5

I'd guess this leader is strong in warbands that need to draw a specific creature early. If you need to draw a Drow priestess for the warband to work. A 4-card creature hand increases your odds seriously.
That the leaders ability lets both the priestess & any spiders deployed from her move faster is a nice bonus.

johnber wrote:

Kalteros the Sellsword

Creature Hand : 3
Starting Order Hand : 4
Leadership : 9

leadership 9 suggests 1 of 2 strategies.
1) A turn-1 attack with very fast creatures (e.g. shadow mastiffs)
2) A long drawn out battle of attrition where 2 extra levels of attacking creatures gradually accumulates a win.

The 4 order card starting hand is contrary to the first option.
And the choice to take treasure as order cards is contrary to the 2nd option.

I'd guess build a warband for both options. If your opponents initial deployment is weak go for the early kill. If it's too tough for a quick kill. Use the 2nd option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko White
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

I'd argue Kalteros is pretty much all aggression, assuming you plan to use him with Drow to cash in treasure for cards. Cards are more powerful than morale in general, but they're especially powerful in the early game because morale only matters when you run out of it, whereas more card options are always good. And being up 9 points to 7 is far more significant than being up 20 points to 18 (or whatever) so that advantage is most important in the early game as well.

With Kalteros + Drow I'd plan to rush early and often, and if building a custom command deck I'd include the dex cards that let you hit hard and often: the minors that give free attacks, Spring Attack and Shadowy Ambush, and so forth. I hadn't thought to use him with turn 1 Shadow Mastiff attacks but that's pretty cool and might be awesome.

He gets a bit more complicated if you mix HoC with your sting set(s); I find him a pretty reasonable choice if you want to run some number of giant dudes, especially the dragon, because with 9 leadership you have a good chance to deploy something filthy early on like Dragon + Dwarf Cleric or the like, which you can't really effectively do with 7 leadership.

And Malistros just rules. She's my favorite commander so far by a pretty significant margin. If you get two Sting sets, there's a very strong and pretty obvious deck where you just run her with Drow Priestesses + Wis cards + spiders and go to town.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Scheidler
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Gigamic
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Command at Origins

In the thread above, you can see the Snig the Axe commander card. The interesting bits about him:

- Larger creature hand: Odds of getting multiple cheap goblins in your start are good.

- Lower leadership: You won't get a whole lot out on the field to start

- Higher morale: Your cheap pieces are going to die early, this is compensation.

- Deploy during Refresh: Now THIS is interesting. Most commanders deploy at the end of their turn and leave their creatures open to a full round of beatings. Snig can deploy at the end of turn and the start of the turn... keeping the cheap pieces off the board when they'd easily be killed, but not exempt from the requirement of finishing your turn with at least 1 mini on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen biggs
England
flag msg tools
I didn't notice Snig got to deploy during refresh.
Can the creature move & attack on the turn it deploys?
That would be awesome.

The 5-card creature hand should be good for decks with strong combos. e.g.
Lolths blessing & Arcane ritual are both strong cards but as it currently stands I wouldn't build a deck using both, because it would need too many wizards & clerics to be workable. Snig improves the odds noticably.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Scheidler
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Gigamic
mbmbmbmbmb
XAos wrote:
I didn't notice Snig got to deploy during refresh.
Can the creature move & attack on the turn it deploys?
That would be awesome.

Yes, because refresh occurs before activation. Very friendly to cheap pieces that are easily cleared out during an opponent's turn, and possibly will be the basis for a "weenie horde", where the creature deck is substantially larger than normal, because you expect to churn through the creatures at a higher rate.

Quote:
The 5-card creature hand should be good for decks with strong combos. e.g. Lolths blessing & Arcane ritual are both strong cards but as it currently stands I wouldn't build a deck using both, because it would need too many wizards & clerics to be workable. Snig improves the odds noticeably.

Yes, depending on what new order cards we see this may well be viable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.