Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been somewhat successful in the last couple of years in getting hold of some of my most wanted games, Antiquity, Dune, Age of Renaissance, etc. But I still have a few MIA's that I haven't quite been able to close on. So my question of the day while watching the Olympics is, what is you top 5(or more) most wanted grail games?

Here is mine

1. Advanced Civilization
2. Civilization(not hard to find, but like to get this bundled)
3. Moongha Invaders: Mad Scientists and Atomic Monsters Attack the Earth!...missed the boat on this one.
4. Borderlands. I so wish this would get the reprint they've been promising.
5. Magic Realm
6. The Lonely Mountain..In preparation for the movie season.
7. Roads & Boats

Here's hoping for the next year of good deals or good trades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Glisson
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
www.scottsigler.com/gfl
badge
I'm gonna keep signing my posts so just let it go already.
mbmbmbmbmb
What's it say if you feel guilty knowing you have 3 of someone's Grails sitting on a shelf? (2,5 & 7) Better come up North for a visit and a game or two!
Good luck on getting your Grail Games!
Kraken Fan #69
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy the Hut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Sit beside the breakfast table Think about your troubles Pour yourself a cup of tea Then think about the bubbles
mbmbmbmbmb
Some years ago while going through a kind-of rough divorce with my 1st wife, I lost most of my board games. My ex wasn't interested in them, but she fought for everything (so she got the games just to toss them). I mostly focused on getting joint custody of our kid.

Anyhow, there were a lot of games I loved that I lost. Slowly I've been trying to rebuild my collection.

I've recently replaced some that are more costly these days:
Imperial Governor & Strategos…I've a slight case of dyslexia so sometimes I misspell things. I did this on Ebay in a search for this game and found someone selling it who'd made the same spelling error. As a result I got a very good deal.
Riddle of the Ring…This is very light but holds some great memories. I got a deal on this, again on Ebay, because the replacement copy was missing the rings used for player tokens. Easily replace with miniatures for a tricked out version of the game.
I also was able to replace a copy of AH's Gettysburg with the same edition (1964) that I used to own. That was the game that introduced me to board games as a hobby.

In terms of what's hottest on my list these days;
1. Fjords
2. Stephensons Rocket…I'm a fan of train games and this is presently on the top of my list in that area.
3. Civilization...Not in a huge rush on this as a friend owns it so I do have the chance to play.
4. Cat & Chocolate...The original not the TX Zombie version. A very funny party game.

I also love the old ICE board games like Lonely Moutain, I used to own many of them, there all on the list to snag if I see the right deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I only have two at the moment:

Ubongo (the original, not one of the newer versions)

Attika
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Goss
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Billythehut wrote:
Some years ago while going through a kind-of rough divorce with my 1st wife, I lost most of my board games. My ex wasn't interested in them, but she fought for everything (so she got the games just to toss them). I mostly focused on getting joint custody of our kid.

Anyhow, there were a lot of games I loved that I lost. Slowly I've been trying to rebuild my collection.

I'm truly sorry for your loss, I really am. If I had even the faintest idea or hint that something like that was going to happen (and yes, I've been divorced once myself), I would have rented a storage rental unit and told her that I sold the games to a friend, gave them to Goodwill, lost them, etc.

I do hope that you did get joint custody of your child.
Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Park
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roads & Boats
Princes of the Renaissance
Civilization- I thrifted this a few years ago and traded it into another grail item before I figured out I wanted to play it.
Advanced Civilization
Antiquity - I guess...
I have been pretty fortunate to have been able to trade up for most of my grail items, and a dew of them have remain unplayed after, so I am not really burning for many of these any more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom O'Neill
United States
Pacific
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Turfmaster -- Played this at Geekway to the West. Been searching for it.

Of course then I would want the 3 course packs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I have to dig fairly deep to come up with even three:

1828 (no BGG listing)
The Artifact

I had an option to get a copy of 1831 some years ago, but passed on ~$800 for an uncut copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rogers
United States
Yakima
WA
flag msg tools
badge
Receive with simplicity everything that happens to you.
mb
Antiquity is the only game I can think of that I would label a grail game. There are other games I would like to try out but none that I am dying to own beyond the aforementioned title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nancy Ann
United States
California
flag msg tools
Mine is Heroscape Valkyrie and expansions. I have seen it on Ebay and sometimes for a reasonable price. Some of the expansions seem impossible but just the base game and couple expansions would be good. I think my son would love this!

Heroquest the old dungeon crawl game would also be a nice find though I suppose some of the newer dungeon crawl games may be worth a try.

Editing to add had the name confused with something else.blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
At the moment it's only Paranoia Mandatory Bonus Fun! Card Game and 1839 The Netherlands. There are other games on my "want" list, but these two are my top priority.

Both seem hard to get. I was able to acquire all my other grail games at Essen in the glory days before eBay - when the flea market was one of the main attractions there and the prices were adequate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm doing okay on the rarer out of print's that my heart would naturally desire. I'm lucky enough to have Key Market, Antiquity, Fjords, Vikings, Taluva, and I just picked up Star Wars Queens Gambit for 60 euros the other day, in shrink, from a game shop that didn't realize what they had on their shelf!

But there's always other mountains to climb...

Roads & Boats - not really sure about this one. Antiquity is good, but not AMAZING! And it seems like this be a bit more mean spirited that we'd like.

Poseidon's Kingdom - this one just gets under my skin because I missed the preorder for it at Essen 2011 by a couple of hours! Don't know that I am that bothered by not having it to play - it's more that I just can't have it now!

Industrial Waste - been wanting to get this for awhile, but I can never seem to find a trading partner willing to part with it. I've offered some really good trades too...

Hmm, to get 5, I guess I'll have to mention pesky promos:

Star Trek Expeditions Tribbles Promo - aaargh, it vexes me to no end not to have this. Solely as a completionist, mind you, but why should this be so hard to put hands on! I've started the quarterly World Wide Promo Only
Math Trades specifically to try to get this card, and no luck yet!

Thunderstone Werewolves Promo - same as the above. I know it doesn't really matter that I don't have this, but still, I'd have a 100% complete first edition Thunderstone collection if AEG would just print some more damn copies of this! KAAAAAHNNNN!!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buddha Meeple
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mb
Roads & Boats. Antuquity is still available here and there...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
Poseidon's Kingdom - this one just gets under my skin because I missed the preorder for it at Essen 2011 by a couple of hours! Don't know that I am that bothered by not having it to play - it's more that I just can't have it now!

This, exactly to the word!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Fireball Island

2. Dark Tower

3. CATAN 3D Collector's Edition

4. Warhammer Quest

5. Heroscape Expansion Set: Aquilla's Alliance

Some of these I had at one time, but I sold them; now I long for their return.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy the Hut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Sit beside the breakfast table Think about your troubles Pour yourself a cup of tea Then think about the bubbles
mbmbmbmbmb
wargamer1963 wrote:
Billythehut wrote:

I'm truly sorry for your loss, I really am. If I had even the faintest idea or hint that something like that was going to happen (and yes, I've been divorced once myself), I would have rented a storage rental unit and told her that I sold the games to a friend, gave them to Goodwill, lost them, etc.

I do hope that you did get joint custody of your child.
Mark

Yep, I did get joint custody. Now my son's in college. I also have since met & married a good women I'm better suited to be with. It all has a happy ending.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy the Hut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

Gameopolis featured a nice session report the other month for Lonely Mountain in episode 19.5 Show #19.5 Session Report: The Lonely Mountain, the Lair of Smaug the Dragon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Billythehut wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

Gameopolis featured a nice session report the other month for Lonely Mountain in episode 19.5 Show #19.5 Session Report: The Lonely Mountain, the Lair of Smaug the Dragon

I think I've played it before. Of course, it was 25 years ago, so it's hard to remember. I know I've played War of the Ring, but I went through a fantasy gaming phase in the mid-80's while playing a lot of D&D, and reading a lot of Tolkien.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Always bring your towel.
United States
Morrilton
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
HeroQuest (and the expansions would be nice)

That's really the only one that I would consider "hard-to-find" in relation to some of my other must haves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Moongha Invaders: Mad Scientists and Atomic Monsters Attack the Earth!
2. Princes of the Renaissance
3. Magic Realm
4. Hybrid
5. Antiquity or Advanced Civilization

Pretty much your standard Weuro/Civ grail list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Glisson
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
www.scottsigler.com/gfl
badge
I'm gonna keep signing my posts so just let it go already.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jumpshelf wrote:
1. Fireball Island

2. Dark Tower

3. CATAN 3D Collector's Edition

4. Warhammer Quest

5. Heroscape Expansion Set: Aquilla's Alliance

Some of these I had at one time, but I sold them; now I long for their return.

I LOVE Dark Tower. My kids and their friends love playing it too. It was the game that got me into boardgames a few years ago. I traded a .22 Magnum Rimfire rifle for a copy to a guy that thought I was crazy. LOL My collection seems to have several gems that people are looking for. blush Roads & Boats and Antiquity are great but I have a hard time getting people in my group to play these "fiddly and complicated" games.

Kraken Fan #69
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian A
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
May I take your trident, sir?
mbmbmbmbmb
I dunno about "grails," but some games I wish I could get a hold of...

Fire & Axe: A Viking Saga
Mall of Horror
Traders of Osaka
D-Day Dice (more specifically, a L4L for the game, as I only went in on a lower tier ks pledge... so stupid of me!)
The Downfall of Pompeii (I didn't know it was going OOP, so I bought Survive instead when Stronghold came out with their version... now I want this one too!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
The World Cup Game
Silent War
Dinosaurs of The Lost World
Super Sadistic Advanced Empire Builder
Spider-Man (Tilsit Games, English language, no paste ups)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarc wrote:
Turfmaster -- Played this at Geekway to the West. Been searching for it.

Of course then I would want the 3 course packs.

TurfMaster isn't OOP, you just have to order it from the AZA Spiele website. The course packs are even available now after being OOP for a while!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At the moment my top 5 grails would be
1) Axis & Allies Anniversary Edition
2) Warhammer Quest
3) a single missing river tile from the Mississippi Queen: The Black Rose expansion. cry

and, um, hmmmm... I guess I've landed most of my other big grails. I've got my own copy of War of the Ring (First Edition) now. I finally spent the money on that long out of print sourcebook for Crimson Skies that I'd been wanting. And even Last Frontier: The Vesuvius Incident is going to be reprinted soon. Yay me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.