Subject: Naval Buffs update rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb
As some of you may have read I was doing some research about my Great Grandfather for my Dad. In a glib moment I talked about how my family had avoided active service over several generations.

A bit embarrassing because I now know that my Great Grandfather (who had six sons) saw one of them fight in the Boer War and two fight in the First World War. Of the remaining three sons, two died before War broke out (one aged 2 and the other aged 25). The last one served in the Army but was never posted overseas.

Funnily enough the two who fought in WW1 both fought in the Canadian Army which was their adopted home. One clearly died later in poverty as he was buried in an unmarked municipal grave. It hit the news because his body (and seventeen others) were dug up, identified and re-interred with their own military headstone under 'Operation Remembrance' in the city of Prince George.

I have to say I was very moved by this act of generosity and dedication by the Royal Canadian Legion. Go Canada!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ransom
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
This Memorial Day weekend, do not thank a veteran. Say a prayer of thanks for those in our military who gave their last full measure of devotion, and all their tomorrows, so that we could enjoy today and all OUR tomorrows.
mbmbmbmbmb
Good story. I firmly believe that every family has some heroes in its past, and it looks like yours did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.