Popular Tags: [View All]
Tazar Yoot
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick questions, I did a little search to see of it was asked and couldn't find it, but if it was I'm sorry.

When a figure interrupts it's movement to take an action such as open a door or make an attack, does it need to have an empty space in which to make the attack? According to the rules they only have to end their moment on an empty space, but I can't quite decide if that also encompasses an action mid-move.

As the overload I ran a goblin into a room that was jam packed by two dragons and used my goblin to open a door in front of the dragons and then used the rest of my moment to end my move on an empty legal space, but the actual opening of the door took place on a square covered by dragons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This might be 1st Ed bleeding through, but we play that you don't have to have an empty space to interrupt movement, only to end movement. As you noted, the rules support this interpretation, thuogh I could see someone arguing that you temporarily end your movement to open the door so you need an empty space.

IMHO, the FAQ will allow you to interrupt in a non-empty space. (this also allows large monsters to 'sneak' in some extra movement spaces)

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tazar Yoot
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For large monsters if I'm not mistaken the rules speficially state they require a legal open space to interrupt their movement (last sentence on the left column on page 16 of the rules), but this to me might just be a limitation placed on large monsters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The movement rules state that you can move through a friendly occupied space, that you cannot end your movement action in an occupied space, and that you can interrupt a movement action with another action. There is nothing in the movement rules that says you can stop in an occupied space and take an action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TazarYoot wrote:
For large monsters if I'm not mistaken the rules speficially state they require a legal open space to interrupt their movement (last sentence on the left column on page 16 of the rules), but this to me might just be a limitation placed on large monsters.

That's how I interpret that part of the rules as well. A large monster must be in empty spaces in order to interrupt its movement. Similarly, I'm also tempted to say that other figures must also be in empty spaces to interrupt movement, but I'm not completely sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although now that I think about it, I have to ask how a skill that interrupts monster movement works on large creatures, if they can't fit.

My thoughts on ruling this:

First, a large monster must always move with a valid destination in mind. If nothing happens during its movement, and it cannot fit in the destination, the board position is reversed and the monster is placed back in its starting spot.

Next, if a large monster is interrupted during its movement, it must expand immediately, following normal rules. If there isn't enough space for it to expand, place it so that it shares as few spaces as possible with other figures, and does not share any spaces with obstacles (Overlord chooses which spaces it occupies). If it is impossible to place it without sharing a space with an obstacle, place it so it shares as few spaces as possible with other figures and obstacles; the obstacle is ignored until the monster leaves its space.

Each figure sharing the space with the monster is placed in the closest empty space. Other monsters are placed first, then heroes; the overlord decides where monsters are placed, the hero players decide where their heroes are placed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Paivinen
United States
San Jose Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My post from another thread.

knupug wrote:
soddy wrote:
According to the rules, if hero have ability to pass through an enemy figure, then he can enter square containing monster, interrupt his movement and make an attack (monster with such ability can do the same).
Also, in exact situation with militia, you can spend fatigue, move to space with militia and make two attacks.
I don't think this is correct. The rulebook, page 8, has the following to say:

Quote:
Figures cannot move into or through spaces containing figures or obstacles (see “Terrain” on page 18). [bold is mine]
However, figures may move diagonally (including around corners and between two blocked spaces) and through friendly figures. [bold is rulebook's]
A figure cannot end its movement in the same space as another figure.
The last sentence clearly applies to ending a move action, but all the other the majority of posts on this subject interpret it to mean interrupting the move action as well. (The paragraph on page 16 about interrupting large monster movement is explicit on this point.)

But, one need only look at the second sentence to reach the same conclusion. It grants an exception to the first sentence when moving through a friendly figure. But, it doesn't grant an exception for moving into the space with a friendly figure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Paivinen
United States
San Jose Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sethala wrote:
Although now that I think about it, I have to ask how a skill that interrupts monster movement works on large creatures, if they can't fit.
Are there actually any skills that force a monster to interrupt its movement?

The rules are very clear that if an OL wants to voluntarily interrupt a monster's movement, then the entire base of the monster must be able to fit on the map.

Sethala wrote:
If it is impossible to place it without sharing a space with an obstacle, place it so it shares as few spaces as possible with other figures and obstacles; the obstacle is ignored until the monster leaves its space.

The rules allow for a monster to expand its base over the special terrain types.
rulebook, page 16 wrote:
When large monsters end their movement and their bases are placed on terrain that they did not move through, refer to the individual terrain rules for what effects, if any, apply to the large monster.
The Obstacle terrain has no special rule for large monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Thief's Caltrops skill can immobilize a monster when it enters a space adjacent to him; I'm assuming this stops it where it is. There's also the Knight's Guard skill, which interrupts a monster's movement, although there's no indication it can't just keep moving after the attack is done.

And yes, I'm aware that it can expand into terrain, but obstacles are specifically blocked squares, and as far as I can tell, you can't put a large monster in one. There isn't a special rule for the obstacle, but there doesn't really need to be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tazar Yoot
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like the idea of a large monster sharing squares after its movement is complete or prematurely ended. I would be more tempted to say it just can't happen if there's no legal spot to stop a large monster using hero abilities to prematurely end a large monster's movement. It's a small downside for the heroes I guess but I think they can handle it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, my suggestion doesn't have it sharing spaces for long; anything it does end up sharing a space is "pushed out" to an empty space. I just couldn't think of a better way to word it. This really shouldn't come up very often (if at all), but it's the only way I can think of that doesn't have a large monster "warp" to the end of a room if they get stuck somewhere and everything's really spaced out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Einich
Switzerland
Geneva
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
knupug wrote:
My post from another thread.

knupug wrote:

But, one need only look at the second sentence to reach the same conclusion. It grants an exception to the first sentence when moving through a friendly figure. But, it doesn't grant an exception for moving into the space with a friendly figure.

However...

Moving into a space = using 1 movement point to enter that space.

Moving through a space = using 1 movement point to enter that space, then using 1 movement point to leave that space.

To move through a space, you first must move into it. Therefore, an exception when moving through a space with a figure must include moving into that space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Paivinen
United States
San Jose Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ispher wrote:
To move through a space, you first must move into it. Therefore, an exception when moving through a space with a figure must include moving into that space.
But moving through a space requires both entering and leaving. My argument is that it doesn't allow for interrupting that two-step process to take an action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Paivinen
United States
San Jose Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sethala wrote:
The Thief's Caltrops skill can immobilize a monster when it enters a space adjacent to him; I'm assuming this stops it where it is. There's also the Knight's Guard skill, which interrupts a monster's movement, although there's no indication it can't just keep moving after the attack is done.
Until we learn more from FFG, my gut feeling says that you have to decide if the game is more balanced towards the heroes or the OL. If it's the OL, then have a rule that the monster can't make the move in the first place if it would trigger an ability that would cause it to set down where there is no room.. If it's the heroes, then have a rule that the ability is suppressed if there's no place for the large monster to set down.

Sethala wrote:
And yes, I'm aware that it can expand into terrain, but obstacles are specifically blocked squares, and as far as I can tell, you can't put a large monster in one. There isn't a special rule for the obstacle, but there doesn't really need to be.
Without realizing it, I played it that way with my Shadow Dragon today. So, I guess I agree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor S
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
I don't see how the rule requiring a space to materialize for large monsters when interrupting movement does not apply to regular figures. Why would it not? A figure must occupy a space to take an action. Otherwise, how can you calculate range, LOS, etc? A figure cannot occupy the same space as another figure. How is there any doubt about how this rule should work?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Einich
Switzerland
Geneva
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
knupug wrote:
Ispher wrote:
But moving through a space requires both entering and leaving. My argument is that it doesn't allow for interrupting that two-step process to take an action.

I see your point now. modest Defining "moving through" as entering and immediately leaving makes sense indeed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I was looking up the answer to this question myself, and discovered that Fantasy Flight has unambiguously clarified on its FAQ. I'm just posting a reply here in case anyone else stumbles on this thread, for archival reasons.

From FFG's Errata and FAQ version 1.0:

Q: If a figure interrupts a move action to perform another action, does the figure have to be in an empty space?

A: Yes, a figure must be in an empty space when ending or interrupting its movement.

Q: When a large monster interrupts its movement to perform an action, does the figure have to be placed on the map in all empty spaces?

A: Yes, a large monster cannot interrupt its movement unless it can be placed on the map and all the spaces it occupies are empty spaces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.