Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Given the supreme court decision that spending money = speech, I'm curious how loudly members of the forum exercise that?

EDIT: And please do feel free to put a fair dollar amount on your time (let's say double your local minimum wage) if you have donated time instead of money, directly.

Poll: How loudly do you exercise your free speech?
1. How much do you spend, or plan to spend, in a year to support a political candidate or party?
$0
$1 - $100 per year
$101 - $1,000 per year
$1,001 - $2,000 per year
$2,001 - $5,000 per year
$5,001 - $10,000 per year
> $10,000 per year
2. Given we all have different income levels, as a ballpark estimate, what PERCENTAGE of your income do you donate to a political party, candidate, or cause in a year? (Yes, this is slightly wider in scope than the original question including donations to organizations that engage in significant political lobbying - NRA, National Wildlife Federation, etc)
0% - I just said I didn't donate anything, [Napoleon Dynamite]gawd[/Napoleon Dynamite]
0.1% - 0.5%
0.6% - 1%
1.1% - 2%
2.1% - 3%
3.1% - 4%
4.1% - 5%
6% - 10%
> 10% (seriously??)
      79 answers
Poll created by XanderF
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't support political parties as I belive they are anti-democratic.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
I don't support political parties as I belive they are anti-democratic.


Neither parties, nor candidates?

Really??

That doesn't seem very pragmatic, if nothing else. I mean, it's the system we have...so if you aren't trying to at least have your influence in it, you'd be leaving things somewhat more random that I'd imagine you'd prefer?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
Avatar
mb
So, I've donated a fair dinkum amount of money, but even more time.

Does that count?

I've probably donated about 100 hours this year on political campaigns.

Darilian
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
I don't support political parties as I belive they are anti-democratic.


Neither parties, nor candidates?

Really??

That doesn't seem very pragmatic, if nothing else. I mean, it's the system we have...so if you aren't trying to at least have your influence in it, you'd be leaving things somewhat more random that I'd imagine you'd prefer?


The ammount if money I could give would have no more influence then just voting. Moreover (as I have said) I belive that political parties are the problom with out system, and the sooner they are done away withy he better. If I wee to support them they would take that as a justification of thier existance (after all it's what do all the time after an ellection, claim a mandate for policies most people opposed, and even many who voted for them did not like (but considerd the alternative worse).

I vote, and when given a chance make my views clear (and I have never once seen any candidate campigning, what does that tell you about how much thier care about the voters views?), so I do participate, I just don't support.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:
So, I've donated a fair dinkum amount of money, but even more time.

Does that count?

I've probably donated about 100 hours this year on political campaigns.


Good point, I've just updated the OP to account for that. Time definitely does = money, after all.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
Meaningless means there's a strong limit to how much I can mess up!
badge
This overtext is not in use.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
Neither parties, nor candidates?

Really??

That doesn't seem very pragmatic, if nothing else. I mean, it's the system we have...so if you aren't trying to at least have your influence in it, you'd be leaving things somewhat more random that I'd imagine you'd prefer?


The system in the UK is much less dependent on donations. Not that they aren't important, but the kind of mass donation programs are much less common. For example, TV ads are one of the biggest money sinks in the US, but in the UK the parties are given a certain number for free and otherwise it's not allowed.

I've know a lot of very active political people, but beyond those who are actively paid up members of a party, very few donate very much, if anything. In terms of money at least. Not that it doesn't happen, it certainly does, but it really doesn't compare at all to the US.

Membership fees perhaps are a better comparison for individual (small) donations in the US. But party memberships are much smaller than those registered to a party in the US (about 200,000 in Labour, for example).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dolphinandrew wrote:
I've know a lot of very active political people, but beyond those who are actively paid up members of a party, very few donate very much, if anything. In terms of money at least. Not that it doesn't happen, it certainly does, but it really doesn't compare at all to the US.


I dunno, based on the poll results above, it seems a more universal thing.

Honestly, given how...fervent...RSP members are about their political positions, I'm somewhat surprised to see such low participation in that part of the process.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
Dolphinandrew wrote:
I've know a lot of very active political people, but beyond those who are actively paid up members of a party, very few donate very much, if anything. In terms of money at least. Not that it doesn't happen, it certainly does, but it really doesn't compare at all to the US.


I dunno, based on the poll results above, it seems a more universal thing.

Honestly, given how...fervent...RSP members are about their political positions, I'm somewhat surprised to see such low participation in that part of the process.


Maybe they realise that the ammount they could contribute would not give them any real influence, that would take donations in the millions.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Never gave a dime. Can't think of any non-american I know who would even contemplate of donating. Not even those who are active party members. But then I usually do not ask.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I support my candidate with my vote, and nothing more. As it should be.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Netherlands
Den haag
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
If political parties start relying on big financial donations, then the democratic system is failing, because the rich people are the ones that get the political power.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mag74b wrote:
If political parties start relying on big financial donations, then the democratic system is failing, because the rich people are the ones that get the political power.


I think it's the enevitable result of a party system. Parties want money, and the more you give the more influence you exert.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
Dolphinandrew wrote:
I've know a lot of very active political people, but beyond those who are actively paid up members of a party, very few donate very much, if anything. In terms of money at least. Not that it doesn't happen, it certainly does, but it really doesn't compare at all to the US.


I dunno, based on the poll results above, it seems a more universal thing.

Honestly, given how...fervent...RSP members are about their political positions, I'm somewhat surprised to see such low participation in that part of the process.


I don't give money to political parties because none of them represent my views well.

I have given money in the past to a couple of very specific candidates who I really really wanted to see win.

I have more often given money to organizations that have missions that I support that ALSO do some lobbying. Some legal defense type organizations/groups and several different environmental ones. I haven't yet (nor do I have any plans to) give to any purely lobbying focused organizations.

However what I have given has gotten me onto BOTH party's rolls as somebody worth mailing out solicitations to. So my mailbox gets swamped at election times with requests. shake

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm saving all my sleep for another life
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Spoon!
badge
Well, once again we find that clowning and anarchy don't mix.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I won't vote for the sons of bitches. Why the Hell would I give them money?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Ramadanovic
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Impact my money would have on an election outcome times the benefit I would derive from any given election outcome is ways smaller then the benefit I would derive from money directly. Therefore it is rank irrational for me to donate money to the political parties - even when I like them.

I have once volunteered for a political party (I really liked the leader at the time - and still think he was the best PM Canada had and is likely to have in this generation) it was equally irrational as giving them money but at least had visceral emotional satisfaction which I can not imagine deriving from just giving them my credit card number.

Partly reason I am not particularly engaged politically (despite holding strong political opinions) is that I do not think that the democracy is particularly well designed for electing "good leaders" (whatever that means) but that it shines because it prevents egregiously bad ones from taking over. Therefore, while it is good to have in principle - actually engaging with it is only really necessary in extreme circumstances.
5 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bramadan wrote:
Therefore, while it is good to have in principle - actually engaging with it is only really necessary in extreme circumstances.


But, surely, if everyone had that opinion...the 'egregiously bad ones' would take over with no challenge.

Is it not our responsibility, then, to engage - on principle, if for no other reason - so as to provide a good example to others? (Or, indeed, engage even with no real confidence in effecting the outcome?)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
XanderF wrote:
I mean, it's the system we have...


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morgan
United States
Simi Valley
CA
flag msg tools
There are people who donate their money to political parties?

What ever for?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think I've ever considered donating money to a political party or candidate. I feel that they get enough of my money by voting it to themselves and through bribery.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Ramadanovic
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
bramadan wrote:
Therefore, while it is good to have in principle - actually engaging with it is only really necessary in extreme circumstances.


But, surely, if everyone had that opinion...the 'egregiously bad ones' would take over with no challenge.

Is it not our responsibility, then, to engage - on principle, if for no other reason - so as to provide a good example to others? (Or, indeed, engage even with no real confidence in effecting the outcome?)


Nope, I'd engage if I perceived an egregiously bad option with any hope of getting in.
As it is, even our socialists are no worse then a minor natural calamity.

I do vote - mostly so I can say I did - but feel no need for any deeper engagement with the process.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morgan
United States
Simi Valley
CA
flag msg tools
rylfrazier wrote:
I don't think I've ever considered donating money to a political party or candidate. I feel that they get enough of my money by voting it to themselves and through bribery.


I am amazed the concept even exists. But then I try and keep out of politics as best I can.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.