Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Ransom
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
There are two kinds of ships: Submarines, and Targets.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooo-rah Gyrenes! Good on ya.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/07/28/marines-pay-22m-to-go-b...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can understand wanting to go back to .45, but with so many modern pistols doing the double-stack thing, well, the way I shoot handguns, I'd want another 6 or 7 rounds in the mag myself .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todays avatar: Last time I saw Axl he was waiting for his forever home.
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
madDdog67 wrote:
I can understand wanting to go back to .45, but with so many modern pistols doing the double-stack thing, well, the way I shoot handguns, I'd want another 6 or 7 rounds in the mag myself .

I have one of each, a Colt 1911 Combat Commander and a Beretta 92FS civilian version of the M9. It's the both of best worlds!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
These should make it to the fleet sometime around the heat death of the universe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
up to 12,000 pistols. Special user items.

Stuping article; "stopping power" is a meaningless buzzword... the double stack 9mm is far superior for most users.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ridgeway
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
too bad Colt's not publicly traded ~ S&W has made me a minor fortune.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All this talk of 1911s is making me sad...I sold mine about 2 months ago to a guy at work, and 3 of my friends have all sold each other their various 19lls over the last couple of weeks. One of those was a pretty much new Colt something or other that he let go for $650. I was too broke to even consider it...friggin' real estate taxes cleaned me out last month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Amala
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
"Heke Heke": Hamsterish for "Huh?"
badge
paul@amala.us
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a beautiful piece. I qualified "Expert" with it in the Navy. But my H&K .40 S&W today has more stopping power. I'd get the 10mm but frankly I'm not quite beefy enough to handle it properly.

The current 9mm Beretta is decidedly more manageable by today's standards than the Colt .45. And it does have better down range ability. But I still prefer the short range stopping power over magazine capacity or range.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JEFF CHATTIN
United States
Washington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer the 1911. A double stack 9mm is too much for me to control comfortably, it does not fit well in my hand. The 1911 handles better for me. Personally, I would rather put 2 .45's into a assailant than 5 9mm....afterall, didn't 50 cent take nine 9mm and walk away. I find it hard to believe that he would have made it with 9 .45's in him (of course, that would have required a clip change!)

My son, who is an armourer in the Navy, prefers the 1911 also. He claims it is easier to work on and easier to accurize, and is more reliable in harsh environments. Don't get me wrong, he doesn't dislike the Baretta, he just prefers the .45. He has said more than once there is a reason the Seals often choose the .45. In close quarters, most of them feel that the .45 gives them an edge.

Not to start a flame war, to each his own!

Great gaming gang!

Jeff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Lott
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer the 9mm, but its not about putting 5 in a assailant vs 2, it is about being able to hit with even 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
401k? More like .357
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gronak wrote:
up to 12,000 pistols. Special user items.

Stuping article; "stopping power" is a meaningless buzzword... the double stack 9mm is far superior for most users.

As someone who's seen the business end of the 9mm round in law enforcement--and law enforcement's transition over the last several years to the .40 S&W, precisely because of the 9mm's lack of "stopping power"--I respectfully disagree.

I've seen far too many people take 6 or 8 9mm rounds center mass, and walk out of the hospital 9 months later, just to be a bullet catcher later.

Now granted, there's some true miracle work going on with today's trauma medicine...but when you put a half dozen rounds into somebody's chest when they're burying a machete into the door of your squad car, there is the implied expectation of your service weapon that they are not going to get up again to testify.

Then again, I'm a wheel gun man anyway. .357 Magnum uber alles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todays avatar: Last time I saw Axl he was waiting for his forever home.
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I shoot my 1911 as well or better than my double stack 9. In addition to owning those two, I have a snub .357 Magnum. That's the one that's most often in arm's reach.

Ya know there is a Gun Geek Guild if any y'all are interested. You don't have to qualify at the range to join.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Defiance
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sure hope the common sense the Marines just showed will spread through the rest of the armed forces. I've never heard a good word about the Baretta from anyone I've talked to whose actually used it. A couple have attested to its lack of stopping power.

Isn't that why we went to the M1911 in the first place?

Mogadeet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan James
United States
Covington
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
paulamala wrote:
But I still prefer the short range stopping power over magazine capacity or range.

If you are using a handgun at more than 20 yards*, you're doing something wrong.

*actual range picked out of thin air
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Current
United States
Carmel
IN - Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie? - Outlaw Josey Wales
mbmbmbmbmb
I will have to take others' words about stopping power as I have never used mine to stop anything but paper targets. It does however make big holes exactly where I want them and is a lot more fun to shoot than a plastic gun.
I think it is the superior choice between the two, so good for the Marines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NJames wrote:
paulamala wrote:
But I still prefer the short range stopping power over magazine capacity or range.

If you are using a handgun at more than 20 yards*, you're doing something wrong.

*actual range picked out of thin air

So true. The pistol is just there to help you fight to your next rifle. If you're forced to rely on your pistol in a military combat situation, something went seriously wrong.

Quote:

I sure hope the common sense the Marines just showed will spread through the rest of the armed forces. I've never heard a good word about the Baretta from anyone I've talked to whose actually used it. A couple have attested to its lack of stopping power.

Meh, I wonder who you're talking to. Most any complaints regarding the M9 stem from the fact that it has a "wimpy" 9mm round, and is too big. The second point I can agree with, it is quite a big gun in the full sized catergory. To the first... it really depends on the round used. There are so many different 9mm rounds available, the supremacy of the .45 is not certain. Of course due to conventions and what not, those rounds are not legal on the battlefield, and so we have to stick with Ball.

Quote:

I prefer the 1911. A double stack 9mm is too much for me to control comfortably, it does not fit well in my hand. The 1911 handles better for me. Personally, I would rather put 2 .45's into a assailant than 5 9mm....afterall, didn't 50 cent take nine 9mm and walk away. I find it hard to believe that he would have made it with 9 .45's in him (of course, that would have required a clip change!)

My son, who is an armourer in the Navy, prefers the 1911 also. He claims it is easier to work on and easier to accurize, and is more reliable in harsh environments. Don't get me wrong, he doesn't dislike the Baretta, he just prefers the .45. He has said more than once there is a reason the Seals often choose the .45. In close quarters, most of them feel that the .45 gives them an edge.

Not to start a flame war, to each his own!

Great gaming gang!

Not to start a flame war indeed, but I really wonder about your son. The M9 is about the simplest to breakdown and work on, the 1911 not so much. And granted new 1911s are more reliable, but the ones we were using way back when, not so much.

It's kinda pointless to bring SEALs and other Special Operations people into the mix. They can basically do what they want. You have to consider the average grunt on the ground.

I've got nothing against a .45, I've got a very nice Para ST-45 double stack, but I like the M9 too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ransom
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
There are two kinds of ships: Submarines, and Targets.
mbmbmbmbmb
While I was in the service I qualified on both the M1911 (in 1976) and the Beretta M9 (in 1985). I had a lot of confidence in both weapons, but somehow I felt connected to my service predecessors with the Colt. A very minor point, I know, and many would say it's irrelevant. But I can't help the way I feel.

Edit: Spelling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Count
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to put in my ".45 cents". SIG 220 .45 IMHO the best .45 to carry, and the one I depend on. With others in the military using SIG's, I wonder if it was considered. Too expensive contract maybe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.