Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: More Questions... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Dekoulis
Greece
Palaio Faliro, Athens
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Pit Trap
this trap can be played on any turn (OL & Heroes) if it played during the OL turn does the hero gain the Stun status?

2.Two Weapon Fighting
do you roll 2 Blue dies? if thats the case do you have twice the change to miss an attack by rolling an X?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Why not? Just because it's played on the OL's turn doesn't mean it's only half as effective, so of course the Hero gains a Stun status.

2. No, you never attack with both weapons, there's not really anything like two weapon 'combo'. When you attack, you pick a weapon you are holding, never both weapons. There is a Warrior skill (in the Knight class I think) that gives your attack a bonus (free surge I think) if you are holding two weapons.

-shnar
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. It still stuns, but note that it has to be played when the hero enters an empty space. So you can't play it on a hero during your turn that's not moving, but if you make him enter a space (such as by Dark Charm's movement action, the ettin's Throw abiltiy, or Splig's Knockback), or if he uses a skill that lets him move out of turn, you can play the trap.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Dekoulis
Greece
Palaio Faliro, Athens
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
2. No, you never attack with both weapons, there's not really anything like two weapon 'combo'. When you attack, you pick a weapon you are holding, never both weapons. There is a Warrior skill (in the Knight class I think) that gives your attack a bonus (free surge I think) if you are holding two weapons.

-shnar


so why in page 12 i read this:

Quote:
Only abilities of the chosen weapon may be used; if equipped with two weapons, abilities on the other weapon are ignored for the attack.


it sayes nothing about dice!!!

and in page 11 it says that i can make any combination i want that has two hand icons in total...

so i can have two-weapon fighting!
the question is how do we play it!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Grainger
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure you can carry two one-handed weapons (so they are both ready), but for any given attack, you nominate one weapon, and use that one.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Dekoulis
Greece
Palaio Faliro, Athens
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
i've read it more cerefuly and you are right it says you choose one
equipment weapon.

but i thing that rule is stupid! why shoyld i choose to take 2 weapons when i take one shield instead and gain one armor dice?

One Word: HOMERULE!

two weapon 1 blue dice and no abilitities for your off-hand.
and you can change hands in your equpment phase.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Grainger
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fitsou wrote:

but i thing that rule is stupid! why shoyld i choose to take 2 weapons when i take one shield instead and gain one armor dice?


1. So you can switch weapons easily during a turn (use one attack with weapon A, and the other attack with weapon B)?

2. Because you don't have a shield (yet)? You can't just buy a shield - you have to wait for it to come into stock in the campaign shop. It might not.

If you want to house-rule, that's of course up to you. IMO, you need to think about game balance - the characters with two-handed weapons (e.g. archers or mages) will become comparatively weaker if you allow warriors to run around using two weapons at once, as the game is currently balanced for one weapon at a time. If the players in question don't mind, it's a moot point.

Also, allowing this would make the heroes more powerful than they presently are, in comparison to the Overlord. That may or may not be a good thing, as it may help balance the game. We've had players complaining that it's too easy for both the heroes and the Overlord; there is no consensus yet as to which side is more powerful, if any.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Grainger wrote:
We've had players complaining that it's too easy for both the heroes and the Overlord; there is no consensus yet as to which side is more powerful, if any.


Which is indeed a good hint at the game actually being balanced enough
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete aka The Masked Minstrel
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that the conversion kit character Laughin Baulder has some kind of dual-wield rule as his ability.



Hm, Weapon Mastery under the Berserker Class.
Quote:
Each time you perform an attack with either 1 Melee weapon with 2 hand icons or 2 Melee weapons with 1 hand icon each, you may exhaust this card to add 1 (surge) to the results.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Grainger
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Acererak wrote:
Grainger wrote:
We've had players complaining that it's too easy for both the heroes and the Overlord; there is no consensus yet as to which side is more powerful, if any.


Which is indeed a good hint at the game actually being balanced enough


Maybe... we don't have a very large sample of opinion, nor do we know if players who experience one way or the other are more likely to post. For instance... there are more hero players than overlord players... so there are more of them to complain that the Overlord is too powerful when they perceive bias!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Grainger
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
squallgoku wrote:
I believe that the conversion kit character Laughin Baulder has some kind of dual-wield rule as his ability.

Hm, Weapon Mastery under the Berserker Class.
Quote:
Each time you perform an attack with either 1 Melee weapon with 2 hand icons or 2 Melee weapons with 1 hand icon each, you may exhaust this card to add 1 (surge) to the results.


The plot thickens!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Grainger wrote:
squallgoku wrote:
I believe that the conversion kit character Laughin Baulder has some kind of dual-wield rule as his ability.

Hm, Weapon Mastery under the Berserker Class.
Quote:
Each time you perform an attack with either 1 Melee weapon with 2 hand icons or 2 Melee weapons with 1 hand icon each, you may exhaust this card to add 1 (surge) to the results.


The plot thickens!

So far, this is the only real advantage I've seen to carrying two weapons. Being able to change weapons mid-turn is very situational and I've yet to see a game where we wished we could do it. So, basically, as a Berserker, you can either carry a shield or a 2H weapon and gain a free surge (why you would want 2 1H weapons over a 2H weapon is beyond me).

-shnar
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Grainger
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:

So far, this is the only real advantage I've seen to carrying two weapons. Being able to change weapons mid-turn is very situational and I've yet to see a game where we wished we could do it. So, basically, as a Berserker, you can either carry a shield or a 2H weapon and gain a free surge (why you would want 2 1H weapons over a 2H weapon is beyond me).

-shnar


If I understand it correctly, you might (conceivably) have a good 1H weapon and no shield, and then pick up another 1H weapon. As you cannot control what the shop has in stock - it's random - you might not get optimal equipment (at least until the Interlude). But yes, I agree it doesn't sound like it would come up very often.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain BONNEAU
France
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you think Laughin Buldar can trigger Weapon Mastery wielding a two-handed weapon and a shield?

--
Buggy
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bess A.
United States
Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Grainger wrote:
squallgoku wrote:
I believe that the conversion kit character Laughin Baulder has some kind of dual-wield rule as his ability.

Hm, Weapon Mastery under the Berserker Class.
Quote:
Each time you perform an attack with either 1 Melee weapon with 2 hand icons or 2 Melee weapons with 1 hand icon each, you may exhaust this card to add 1 (surge) to the results.


The plot thickens!

So far, this is the only real advantage I've seen to carrying two weapons. Being able to change weapons mid-turn is very situational and I've yet to see a game where we wished we could do it. So, basically, as a Berserker, you can either carry a shield or a 2H weapon and gain a free surge (why you would want 2 1H weapons over a 2H weapon is beyond me).

-shnar
So... do we take this to mean that anyone with Weapon Mastery can actually attack/roll for both weapons? It's confusing because Weapon Mastery is the only card that mentions the possibility of using 2 melee weapons (1 hand each). But it doesn't directly say it grants permission to do so, just that if you do it (eg. allowed by some other card?) you can exhaust to gain a surge.

The rulebook makes it clear that you can't normally attack with two weapons without some rule-breaker card.

Similiarly, Laughin doesn't say you can attack/roll with two 1-handed weapons, only that you can use a 2-hander as a 1-hander (maybe so you can have a shield or an alternative weapon in the other).

This has gotten pretty confusing, because in the old game his powers read differently, and my tank-favoring MIL is convinced that Laughin should be able to wield a 2-hander in one hand and a 1-hander in the other with weapon mastery. Even with a two 1-handed-attack interpretation, Weapon Mastery really becomes a terror to the OL (ie. Act II master dragons struck down before they even have a chance to attack).

Finally, if a two 1-handed-weapon attack interpretation is adopted for Weapons Mastery, then we don't know how to interpret X miss rolls and defense. Is each weapon a separate roll/miss? Is each weapon a separate defense roll?

Anyone got alternative views on how to handle Weapon Mastery and/or Laughin?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adny Riik
Slovakia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
polycrafty wrote:
Anyone got alternative views on how to handle Weapon Mastery and/or Laughin?

OK, so weapon mastery states, that if you have two hands worth of weapons, you get a free surge. If Laughtin is using 2H weapon and a shield, he has one hands worht of weapon, as he treats the weapon as onehanded, so no surge here... If he didn't have the shield, he could ignore his ability (it's a "may" ability) and get the surge.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Try not to overthink this, the Weapon Mastery is poorly written but with all the other rules, is rather obvious that it means making an attack while having 2 melee weapons equipped. The card does in no way allow you to attack with both weapons simultaneously.

-shnar
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.