Subject: Single Player Variant Tests rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Contig
United States
flag msg tools
(this is not a hint)
badge
(this is still the old picture and I am too lazy to update it)
mbmbmbmbmb
contiguity wrote:

Drawing 3 cards and picking one might be interesting. I could try this out and see how it works.

3 cards

I played the single player variant I suggested -- starting with a normal 3 player deck, then drawing 3 cards and picking one. This variant doesn't have opponents to keep locations from, but it does give practice build a model space station.

Thus you would start with 10 credits, and then draw the top 3 locations, pick one, and discard the other two. If you wanted a power reactor or credits, you'd simply discard all three. At the end of every year (6 draws), you'd get 10 more credits.

Methods

I used the board and leftover player markers to keep track of what draw I was on that year, and how many credits I had left. After I chose a card, I would slide one marker down that many credits on the board, and then move the draw marker over one hex. (The middle or right side of the board works well for this.) At the end of the year, I would simply slide the credit marker back 10 credits and reset the draw marker back to the first space.

Objectives

I changed the objectives and some racials as necessary. For objectives they gave bonus points. "Build the most (location type)" gave 1 point for each of that type, up to 5. (With blue, it gave a point for every two blue locations, up to 4.) I also settled on "1 point per 2 credits", "1 point per 5 points past 50 (before end of game points)", and "5 points, minus 1 for each location sold for credits or a power reactor".

Racials

For racials, my suggestions are as follows: instead of taking a card from another player's hand, you could once per year, set aside an unplayed card instead of discarding it, playing it in a future hand that year (instead of whatever was in that hand). For the special location racial, once per year, you can discard your hand and draw 3 special locations instead. For the discard racial, once per year you can shuffle your current hand into the deck and replace it with the next 3 cards.

Locations

For the locations that with rule text that uses opposing stations to give points (such as Council Room), I decided to simply make them give 1 additional point. This does eliminate part of the game, but it's a reasonable simplification and I felt other solutions would be too complicated. If anyone has suggestions for them, reply to let me know.

End game

I counted up points at the end as usual, adding points for objectives, used power reactors, and credits. I ended up getting between 90-95 points the three times I played it, so I figure it's fairly consistent.

I can upload the three ending space stations I had if that's alright. The pictures aren't great quality, but you can see what's happened.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franco
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for posting this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panagiotis Zinoviadis
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Among the Stars:The Ambassadors
mbmbmbmbmb
Please upload the stations
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contig
United States
flag msg tools
(this is not a hint)
badge
(this is still the old picture and I am too lazy to update it)
mbmbmbmbmb
These are somewhat blurry, but you can see the basic layout. I posted them from my gallery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelika Fröhlich
Austria
Tulln on the Danube
Lower Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm considering to buy this game via the Kitchen Rush KS campaign. It looks great!

Because of the fact, that I'm often playing alone, I would like to ask you, if this solo variant is fun?

Thanks for your opinions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.