Hide
8 Posts

Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: My First Solo Conquest Victory - Some Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
LargeGoblin
msg tools
I just finished my first solo conquest game, and I guess I did all right with 174 points. This was my fifth game. The first was the recon scenario and then I played three more games but started over each time I noticed I had made some error. I think I made it through without errors this time, but I want to be sure, so I decided to post some questions.

Does being in a city count as being on that tile? I was wondering if the white city benefits from the neighboring keep. I was getting +2 cards from being in the conquered city and +3 from that keep and two others I had conquered. This gave me a hand limit of 11 and seemed too good, so I was thinking it might be wrong, but couldn't find anything about it.

Can I attack the draconum next to the white city while in the city?
I didn't do it because I thought I read something about no combat in cities, but that might've just been PvP.

Can you play crystals from your inventory and gain more on the same turn if you already have three? I know there's a limit of three crystals in your inventory, but what if I use a red crystal to cast a spell and then use an item like the ruby ring that gives me one red crystal?

How does the Altem mages' siege conversion work? It says that all attacks you play this combat become cold fire or siege attacks. Does that only include attacks on cards from my hand or does that include units? I figured it only applied to attacks from cards I play since it says "play" in the description. It still seems insanely powerful. I used concentration with blood rage to get 11 siege attack. This is correct usage, right? I can stack up all the attack I want with my cards and then it all becomes siege attack of whatever element it was?

When you get to level 10, do you just draw your last skill and choose between that and the ones from the dummy player in the common skill offer? Since I removed the interactive skill from my stack, I only had 9, so when I got to level 10, there was only one skill left in the stack.

Edit: Man, I just realize a small mistake I made, and now I'm sad. I misunderstood one skill. Oh, well. I'll do better next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Original Thumb #50
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Congratulations on your first win (even if there was a small error).

Being in the city is as if you are on that tile.

Under "One Round of the Game" 2g, it says: Draws cards up to his Hand limit. (This may be increased if he is on or next to a keep or city – see the description of these sites. If next to both, use only the higher effect.)

It also goes into details under the "End of Turn" section.

So in your case, you'd go with the Keep bonus of +3 since it's higher.

---
If you're in the White City, you could provoke the Draconum. If you enter the city from the East, the dragon would be provoked and would join the battle.

----
When you play a crystal from your inventory, it converts to a mana token so it's no longer in your inventory. Therefore, you could play one and then later gain a replacement.

---
I think your interpretation of the Altem Mage ability is correct but I'm not positive.

---
In the solo game, since you remove the "interactive" skills, you do only have 9 skills so how you did it is correct. Of course if you take one from the common offer, you have to take the lowest Advanced Action card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LargeGoblin
msg tools
Oh, man. I thought I was drawing too many cards. Even thinking about playing it straight, the game doesn't seem impossible any more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat G
United States
Pooler
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm fairly sure that in the FAQ thread it was stated that the Altem Mages conversion ability applies to ALL attack generated, including that from units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmb
CMoor213 wrote:
I'm fairly sure that in the FAQ thread it was stated that the Altem Mages conversion ability applies to ALL attack generated, including that from units.

Correct.

CMoor213 wrote:
Q2: Does the "make everything a siege attack" ability of Altem Mages apply to attacks made by units as well?
Q2: Altem Mages.

Yes, it applies to Units. It makes all Attacks conducted by the player better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat G
United States
Pooler
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I had forgotten that I was even the one who asked. Hehe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LargeGoblin
msg tools
ohgrande wrote:
Under "One Round of the Game" 2g, it says: Draws cards up to his Hand limit. (This may be increased if he is on or next to a keep or city – see the description of these sites. If next to both, use only the higher effect.)

Does this mean that the Planning tactic is also trumped by cities and keeps (assuming you have 2+ keeps)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Original Thumb #50
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
LargeGoblin wrote:
ohgrande wrote:

Does this mean that the Planning tactic is also trumped by cities and keeps (assuming you have 2+ keeps)?

No, Planning is still in addition to City/Keep bonus. So if you have Planning and 2 Keeps, that will add 3 to your hand limit if you're next to one of your Keeps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.