ben saylor
United States
Delray Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
The first encounter of this seems to be next to impossible for the heroes. My wife and I were playing and I was the overlord. I knocked down one of her heroes and surrounded that piece with monsters and just kept knocking it down. I blocked the entrance to the cavern blocking off the 2nd hero in the cavern and placing boulders and a 2 space monster to keep that hero from being able to revive the downed hero.

As the turns went by it was obvious it was going to be a long term stalemate and we agreed to have the overlord win the scenario otherwise I (the overlord player) would have had almost all of my cards in my hand.

Has anyone else found this scenario to be hard/impossible for the heroes? It almost made my wife not want to play anymore she was so frustrated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In this scenario, it's critical that the heroes stick together. If one person gets stuck behind, the rest need to turn around and help, immediately. Keep in mind that the heroes only win if all of them make it to the entrance, so leaving one behind is just asking to fail.

Beyond that, remember that the heroes only lose if a hero is surrounded at the end of his turn. Slow and steady progress through the canyon, making sure you can't get boxed in, is the way to go. Also keep in mind that if one hero is surrounded by other heroes, it's still a failure, so don't accidentally box yourself in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ben saylor
United States
Delray Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
We did about 5 turns after I downed the hero and cut her off from her ally. Then between the boulder's and monsters the 2nd hero couldn't move up. Each turn was basically spent clearing boulders and maybe moving 1 space but not being able attack. This first scenario fell really flat but the 2nd encounter was great.

The overlord killed 2 guards with his zombies but the heroes used their extra move and attack abilities to move almost across the board to get a bead on my lieutenant dealing 6 damage. I moved the lieutenant away but no far enough as the heroes moved and skirted my elemental (stupid diagonal movement) and got off a final attack to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Spartz
United States
Golden valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I just played this scenario this evening myself. We skipped the intro scenario and just assumed the heroes won because we didn't really care who chose. As a result, none of the hero players had a grasp of what they were supposed to be doing. by the time they even entered the canyon path I had already put 5 boulders in the path and they basically couldn't win as no one took a strength based character. the best stat they had for clearing boulders was a 2.

We also just agreed to make it an overlord win in my group and we also had a much better go of the second encounter. I used goblin archers rather than zombies which created an interesting mechanical quirk: you can kill two of the guards without them activating by stepping right up to the line between zones and shooting them. I felt like a dick for doing that and figured it was fair to activate guards that were attacked.

End of that scenario: 2 dead guards. two heroes blocked the eastern passage so i couldn't get the elemental in to kill him and then the necromancer sent his familiar with the last hero to deal with the lieutenant (and to protect two guards).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Hubbard
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I found the opposite. It was more or less a cakewalk for my heroes with Ettins as my open group. I moved to block the canyon and that gave me time to drop some boulders but ultimately once the Ettin died the heroes got in and Syndrael was smashing boulders about as fast as I could drop them. I goofed by forgetting the spiders could climb over the boulders so that might have changed things, but I really doubt it. Maybe this is an encounter that favors a large group.

Sparticuse wrote:

We also just agreed to make it an overlord win in my group and we also had a much better go of the second encounter. I used goblin archers rather than zombies which created an interesting mechanical quirk: you can kill two of the guards without them activating by stepping right up to the line between zones and shooting them. I felt like a dick for doing that and figured it was fair to activate guards that were attacked.

I did the same thing with Flesh Moulders, except I didn't let the guards activate. It made the second quest a slaughter. The moulders got 2 guards while the elementals held the heroes at bay, then Tomble ran up to the guards to activate them...only to forget that the guard AI forces them to attack, which put them right in LOS for the moulders. Heroes probaly should have bumrushed the lieutenant instead of trying to kill off the moulders I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Sparticuse wrote:
I just played this scenario this evening myself. We skipped the intro scenario and just assumed the heroes won because we didn't really care who chose.

Err... They could have picked up some gold in the intro encounter. Did you compensate for this in some way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the key to this encounter is speed. The heroes need to get around the open group right away. Use stamina to run around the open group and get to the spiders. Ignore the search tokens in this senario. Use your once per encounters if they help.

Once there is a gap run through as far as you can. Yes, stay together, but get in the canyon as fast as you can.

The OL gets a reinforcement at the entrance, so killing the open group unless you can kill 2 of them does no good. Better to kill spiders, and run through.

My recommendation for playing with the wife, is let her be the OL. You will both have more fun.

Skills that help are high Strength, thief's tumble, Knight's Oath, Tomble's once per encounter.

The good news is that if the heroes win encounter 1 then they should win encounter 2 easy, if they have stun and imbolize type skills. Which of course you should.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Spartz
United States
Golden valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Quote:
Err... They could have picked up some gold in the intro encounter. Did you compensate for this in some way?

I told them they could have 100 gold for the first encounter. One of the players got greedy and objected saying the cards would be worth more so I said "ok, Let's assume you got all 3 (three hero game) and I'll just give you the money for that." They ended up with 75.

I am finding from Shawn's comments the second encounter would be a LOT easier with 4 heroes as the overlord. You could actually block movement with the pair of elementals (rather than the one master elemental I got) and you could easily kill one guard per turn with the goblins and Belthir. As it was, I kept doing slightly less than I needed. That one extra goblin may have actually gotten me the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.