John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually it's named the 2012 Pitty Fair but people make the pity party pun because it was started by an organization called Saving Sunny, Inc.

Here is an excerpt from the website or go to http://www.savingsunnyinc.org/index.html or http://www.savingsunnyinc.org/pitty-fair-2012.html

Quote:
"Saving Sunny, Inc. is named in honor of Sunny the pit bull who was thrown from the Clark Memorial Bridge in July 2009 and miraculously survived the 80ft. drop into the Ohio River. Patrons and staff at Joe’s Crab Shack on the riverfront witnessed the unimaginable act and raced to the waterside to call to the dazed and struggling dog who was soon pulled from the water by a Louisville Metro Fire & Rescue team who happened to be training on the river that day. Kelsey Westbrook, a server at Joe’s Crab Shack, adopted Sunny on the spot and gave her a name that reflected her happy and trusting disposition as she greeted the crowd who waited for her on dry land."

There were folk singers, art booths with art featuring dogs, a doggie fortune teller, a kissing booth manned by a hot chick who let you kiss her puppy (I did spell that right!) for a dollar and many representatives of the bully breeds mostly pit bulls.

I don't have a dog but I like other people's dogs. I was invited because one of my closest friends has an 85 pound Pit Bull named TJ whose father was some doggie sport National Champion a few years ago. TJs best doggie friend is a 4 lbs dustmop breed named Maddie. Maddie is a little dog with a big dog's heart and TJ is just the opposite.

I was surprised at how calm all the dogs were. I expected the dogs to be barking at the sight of the dogs and the crowd and the folk singer. But only one dog barked at all and it was because it was encouraged to. This gray and white pit bull had a bark that sounded like a goose honking. None of the dogs even barked when the fire trucks went by sirens blaring. The weather was wonderful, the dogs were all friendly and the company grand.

This is TJ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cool User
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever I go to my local shelter to pick up foster kittens I always take a tour through the dog area. Last week they had almost all pit bulls and boy were they gorgeous. They are all temperament tested before being put up for adoption and the ones in the cages were just ecstatic about having someone talk to them. I would adopt one in a minute if I didn't already have two dogs.

About the kissing booth, they were doing it wrong. My sister takes her dog to a kissing booth to raise money for the shelter and you wouldn't believe how many people will pay a dollar to be kissed by a Great Dane. The only problem is trying to keep the dog from kissing people who didn't pay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
About the kissing booth, they were doing it wrong.

I think they were doing it right, I was just making a lame joke. However, by the time I got there the pit puppy was too tired and on break, napping.

They had six tiny pit pups who had been found in a field next to their dead mother. Way too young to put up for adoption. Volunteers were walking about bottle feeding them. They were plenty of "I am Lennox" T-shirts being worn.

For that sad story go here. http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/07/11/save-lennox-put-d...

IIRC, TJs father competed in pulling contests and once pulled 6800 pounds. OMD! (oh my dog!) That isn't a typo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, I would've loved to go to something like that.

Love pitty breeds....well, love all dogs really. Sounds like it was a blast!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like fun. I'm in puppy withdrawal because I don't think apartment living would be fair to a dog. I miss them so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
7 Billion Stories
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
We have a bull terrier rescue programme here in Minneapolis, really cool stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mease19 wrote:
Sounds like fun. I'm in puppy withdrawal because I don't think apartment living would be fair to a dog. I miss them so.

Get a pug :-) I had 2 in my condo; they're great in small spaces. Coincidentally, so are great danes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm at an age where I don't want to stoop over that far to pet a dog. In addition, my Mom had a mini-dachshund and my aunt a chihuahua. They are off my list. Some web site lists them as the number 1 and 2 breeds for most aggressive temperment.

Saving Sunny Inc. has become a bull terrier rescue organization here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
~"that's just HOW they: 'roll'!"? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds fun! We love our pitbull, Thumper, except for when he thinks he's a lap dog...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cool User
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
Sounds fun! We love our pitbull, Thumper, except for when he thinks he's a lap dog...

In my experience, ALL dogs think they are lap dogs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.