Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris
United States
Altoona
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
During the Movement Round, may move one token group 2 territories instead of one; or may move two token groups 1 territory each.

If the Fremen control Carthag or Arrakeen, the Fremen may move one token group 3 territories; or may move up to three token groups 1 territory each.
(Note: This wording is designed to allow a token group to be moved twice.)

--- Notes ---
This idea was first reported in the thread Ideas for Adjusting the Fremen and BG, but it was among other ideas so I believe it was lost.

Thematically this rule makes sense because the Fremen are tribal (would move as separate groups) and are most comfortable on Dune (should have better movement than other factions).

Is there a need to modify the Fremen? This is certainly a heavily discussed issue. Assuming yes, this house rule changes the stated rules in a minimal way. The added rule explanation is to deal with 'ornithopters' issue, which is certainly a big issue. My original thought regarding ornithopters was to restrict movement to only two token groups, first 2 territory movement, then 1 territory. The wording I decided above was to be similar with the original wording and to make holding Carthag and Arrakeen more attractive to the Fremen where a bonus of +1 movement is less enticing than the +2 movement that other factions receive.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaude Thomas
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this proposal. It ties well to the concept of Fremen as a 'Token Movement' power (versus Guild as a 'Shipment' power). If you playtest it I'd suggest also playtesting allowing Fremen to move tokens back into reserves (from the same territories they can bring tokens onto Dune in). This would fix the issue with Fremen getting scattered and pogrommed (which happens lamentably often). Finally, I would let Fremen do their 'Shipment' and 'Token Movement' in any order during their move. Also, FGS follow the designers (and the rulebook) and not WBC on ornithoptors, so that Fremen Karama is actually good (and will dovetail nicely with what you suggest). However, I would not allow three groups moving 1, but rather rule that one group gets +1 move (so 1x3 or 1x2 and 1x1, but not 3x1).

The things I'll be playtesting in my next F2F Dune game will include the above. I'll probably also keep the 'free support in the sand' WBC rule. It's helpful in early turns, although I do feel it obliquely nerfs Atreides quite hard. It should be standard that Fremen alliance advantages allow allies to also ride worms. So pointless to exclude that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pɹɐɥɔᴉɹ
England
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
Careful. There is a minefield around here.
badge
BANG!! Don't step on the mines!
mbmbmbmbmb
How would you play the Hajr card with this variant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaude Thomas
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
riks wrote:
How would you play the Hajr card with this variant?

Pretty straightforward. It repeats the Token Movement step of Fremen's move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike C
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Shields are offline.
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone tried this? How'd it go?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.