BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: 2 Favorite Games and WHY! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nancy Ann
United States
California
flag msg tools
I don't just want a list of games but I want reasons why these are your favorite games. What is unique about them, or what are the elements of the game that make it interesting to you personally?

For me my first one would be Bohnanza. I mentioned this on another thread that I love the German version because we are not familiar with the proper pronunciation of the German names on the bean cards. So we sort of just make up our own and with a fun group of friends this is a real HOOT!

My second would be Acquire. I don't get to play this game often but when I do I enjoy it immensely. I love it because I always feel like I have a chance to win even over half way through. It is not always apparent (atleast to me, ignorance is bliss) who is winning. I also love the merger aspect of the game. It is always exciting even when other players are merging to see what is going to happen and how it will effect the game. It really gives it a fun element of surprise in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
My first one would be Advanced Squad Leader. This game has such a variety in terms of scenarios, units and game play, no other game comes close. During the years, I collected 4,000 different scenarios for this game, and nearly everyone brings new challenges and requires different tactics and approaches. See also the overtext of my übergeekbadge.

The second one is an 18xx game (probably 1830: Railways & Robber Barons). It combines stock market with building aspects; IMHO one of the best board games out there. Like ASL, I have played hundreds of 18xx games, and I can't imagine that I will ever grow tired of it. Building things is always a welcome mechanic in any game. Building railroads, acquiring trains, manipulating stock and making money ... these are the qualities of this game.

There are some others, but for me, none of them comes even close to these two. meeple

EDIT: Oh, and welcome to BGG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
My number one is easily Dominion. With the amount of kingdom cards, the number of different games is effectively infinite. Also, it plays very quickly and I stand a reasonable chance of winning, unlike many other games.

For number two I'll go with a brain burning game, but I can't really decide between Ricochet Robots and Ergo. I enjoy heavy thinking in games, but don't have quite the mind for strategy and planning my moves far ahead, like in chess, and so I get to the brain burners.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind that if asked again a month from now I may answer this differently. Also, I do not consider either of these the BEST games I own. But these are the games I am most fond of (at the moment, of course).

1) Thurn and Taxis- quick set up time; simple rules yet intriguing game play with tense decisions without being too heavy; scales extremely well well from 2 to 4; has a wonderful solo variant available that is hard to win; beautiful artwork; easy to get to the table.

2) Torres- Players actually get to build castles! Quick set up time for a very meaty game; once players get used to the game it is a bit too wide open for 2 players, but there are variants available that maintain the tension for 2 players; it really does feel like multi-player chess but does not require boring book study; cool components (wooden knights and plastic castle pieces); lots of different ways to play and hence a lot of replay value.

Honorable mention: (I do not own it but someone in my group does) Homesteaders Simply one of the most fun building/resource management games I've ever played.

Second Honorable mention: Can't Stop - simply addictive

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Finlay
Australia
Beldon
WA
flag msg tools
badge
Race for the Galaxy - Fast playing, small and portable, incredible amounts of strategy, but can still be played at a decent level without brain burning, expansions for more features and increased player count if you want them. The only downside is teaching other people the iconography.

The Resistance - The best social deduction/bluffing game. If you can lie you can play. What makes it shine is how it provides just enough information to encourage accusations and theories whilst not giving the game away.

+1 for Acquire - very few games can hold my attention like that one does

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have three 10-rated games...which to pick?

1. Go: My favorite abstract game. Also the most beautiful game I own, even on one of my cheap sets. I don't play nearly often enough to really become decent at the game, but I can grasp things well enough to make a reasonable (if still bad!) plan and understand the books I have. I'm not very good, but I enjoy myself.

2. Combat Commander: Kind of like Dominion above, this wargame has a functionally infinite number of scenarios for it, thanks to its random scenario generator. It only portrays a limited range of tactical situations in WWII, but it does so with a good narrative, which is most of what I look for in wargames.

Welcome to the Geek! I like Bohnanza, but Acquire and I never got along very well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Douglass
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1 Race for the Galaxy - Fast, portable, great variety, more strategy than games 6+ times its length, incredible strategy per unit time, even when you're losing you can still accomplish things, and no down time.

2 BattleCON - Fast, portable, characters feel really, really different, no luck, no down time, and outmaneuvering your opponent and predicting their moves is intensely satisfying (unless they're so inept that the whole match feels pointless...). I really like the way moves go on cool down so that you can't spam the same move multiple turns in a row, but at the same time you don't have to rely on random card draws (like in Yomi). I like the positional element. I like the way that the the discard piles shape the strategy. Do you want to play the move that's best for this turn? Do you want to play a slightly worse move that sets you up better for the next 2 beats?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
FreeHansje wrote:
PzVIE wrote:

During the years, I collected 4,000 different scenarios for this game, and nearly everyone brings new challenges and requires different tactics and approaches.

Err..Err.. How do you know? You played all of them?!?!?

Of course not *. I've played 500 or so. But that's enough for me to daresay the above sentence meeple

* But I will. This will become my life-quest. Before I die, I'll play every ASL scenario I own gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Don't hang around, 'cause two's a crowd on my cloud, baby.
badge
If I were to hang my head, I'd miss all the rainbows. And I'd drown in raindrops instead.
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Backgammon. I've always had a strong admiration for time-honored, classic, traditional board games. But many of them (e.g., chess, checkers, and go) are real brain burners and call for more study and concentration than I'm usually up for. Backgammon hits the sweet spot for me. It gives players plenty to think about, yet it's fast-moving. The dice rolls take the edge off competition and make for some dramatic swings of fortune that players have to adjust to. Lotsa fun, and you only need one other player (or a computer AI opponent).

2. Lock 'n Load. I gave up ASL in the mid 1990s, when I decided it was too pretentious and more rules-heavy than it was worth. I had learned it, played it, and enjoyed it--but it got to where I didn't want to anymore. I threw the baby out with the bath water and abandoned wargaming altogether. Then, in 2008, I was delighted to discover LnL. For me, it has all the excitement of SL/ASL and then some, and yet it's a fairly simple, fluid, fast-moving game. It's so good that it's even fun to just play by yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
meepleonboard
United Kingdom
Somerset/London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tricky, but here we go:

As I write they would be -

Agricola - have only just scratched the surface of this, but with so many cards each game is going to be different and there appear to be multiple routes to victory. Every time I play I learn something new and itch to play it again, even though the new thing I just learned might not be the right thing to use next time along. For some odd reason the subject matter does it for me as well - the idea of ekeing out an existence from nothing is really matched by the whole game experience of trying to keep different angles from going badly wrong. Keep thinking about this game, and that's a good sign.

Tigris & Euphrates - can't explain exactly what it is, but this game hits the spot for me. The different tile colours tickle my fancy, as does the way they turn into courtyards when you flip them over for a monument, and the quirks of the game (you're not a colour, you're a symbol; the scoring system; the two types of conflict) enhance its appeal. I normally play in two, and this can be as relaxed or as cut-throat a game as the players make it, a lovely balance (for me) of aggression, tactics, luck and skill which always leaves me feeling that I only scratched the surface of what is going on, abstract in many ways but not enough to feel that I'm working rather than playing, if that makes any sense. Again, I keep thinking about this game.

...but my fave two could be different tomorrow!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike kirksey
msg tools
mbmb
Oh man, that's a tough question!

hmm...

1)I would have to say Cosmic Encounter. This game, along with the current three expansions, has an unbelievable amount of races. Each it's own unique power. Any game that has this many different powers, has me hooked for infinite replays! I guess that it helps that I usually win too!

2)My second favorite is probably 7 Wonders. This game is so much fun, and only gets more entertaining with the leaders expansion. It can easily be played in 30-45 minutes, which is always a plus. But the bast part by far is the fact that it is so easy to teach people that are new to gaming.

I have my cousins over every other Sunday after church to hang out and play games. They always choose to play one of these two games, and i never have a problem playing either of these. One for the possiblities. The other for the laid back play and accessibility.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.