Brian Homan
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I've finally taken the plunge and progressed one of my designs to the point where I'd like to get other people to take a whack at it and let me know what they think. This is my first real effort toward getting a design published, but I'm quite new to it. Any constructive input is welcome!

On with the show...

National Park is a game where each player is managing his own fictional park in the US. There are varying types of terrain that support different types of improvements which can help generate more visitors and improvement points that can be used to better your park. A player can spend these points on terrain improvements or on structures that offer bonus points or mitigate damage done to your park.

Damage? What damage?

You didn't think was going to be easy, did you? In the course of the game and by various means, you will generate destruction points that your opponents will use against you. Nature destruction points are used by the player on your left to tear up your park and reclaim it for nature. Unruly visitor destruction points are used by the player on your right to wreak havoc and make a mess of things. The player who spends their improvement points wisely (and their opponent's destruction points maliciously) will come out on top.

I'm not going to go into great detail here on how to play. I have uploaded a rough print and play copy (with detailed rules) in the files section. If you are interested thus far, please download the PDF file and print your own copy for play testing. All of the tokens you might need are there. You just need some wooden cubes for improvements (I suggest from Merkator), some hiking trail/canoe route pieces (I recommend the track pieces from TransAmerica) and some trash markers (acrylic gems work well, but anything about that size will do.

The first update of the file is on it's way to being approved. This file corrects some of the issues with the graphics and clarifies a few things. The initial file should be enough to get you started, though. Please give it a try and let me know what you think. Thanks!

You can find the file here.

Edit:
Specific Questions for Playtesters:
1. Does the rules layout make sense?
2. Could you print this out and play it with 1-2 read throughs of the rules?
3. Are there sufficient examples in the rules or are more required?
4. After a shakedown game, do all players have a pretty good idea of what they are trying to do?
5. Are the strategies too obvious/dominant?
6. What strategies did your group attempt?
7. What are the recommended and ideal number of players to play this game with?
8. Are there elements of the game that your group ignored? If yes, why?
9. Are the Nature's Fury and Unruly Visitor actions balanced well enough for their respective DP costs?
10. Do the structures add meaningful elements to gameplay?
11. Was visitor assessment and end game scoring too complicated?
12. Was the game fun?
13. How many minutes/player did your game take?
14. Would you play this again?
15. Would you recommend this to a friend?
16. What do you think would improve the game?

I will be continually be updating the game as suggestions are made. Most updates will be to the rules and not the components (for now). I did discover that I need to make Forest Fire tokens, so those will be in a future update. As always, your input is always appreciated. So far we have 40 downloads of the most recent version, with version 1.2 being approved shortly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd throw up a components list or a picture of the game and all pieces shown, identifying each. You could mention that pieces that are not supplied this way as well. Hats off though! Very nice effort for a pnp; lots of depth and looks fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Homan
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I will do that. I am still not sure how many components is enough in terms of the cubes and trail markers, but I'm sure it's better to over-anticipate the need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
'Might post something over in the p-n-p threads as well. MOre than likely those who print out p-n-p's will be the ones to have the components needed to play the game, since rarely do regular gamers want to canibalize games for parts or have any spare cubes and such as spares. I've only known p-n-p gamers and designers to have a surplus of bits for games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Homan
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, will do. Thanks for the input!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Homan
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I have posted a link to this thread and the National Park file page in the DYI forum. I see that a number of people have also downloaded the rough draft prototype, and the slightly more refined version 1.1. That's excellent! I'm looking forward to hearing additional feedback in the coming days and weeks. To those of you trying out the game, thanks so much for your participation in this project! I would love to get this game published one day and be able to thank all of you who helped to make that happen!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Homan
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Added specific questions for play testers in OP. Please use these when evaluating the game. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Homan
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
V 1.2 is up for download now and V 1.3 is on it's way. v 1.3 adds forest fire tokens and better explains how the forest fire is implemented and controlled
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Homan
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Version 1.3 is up in the files section as of today. Forest fires are a bit better explained and now have tokens for their use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Homan
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Version 5.1 is up in the database
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Cornejo
United States
Orange
Ca
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I download 5.1, will it have all the materials from the game or will I have to download the original files as well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Homan
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll need the new parks and player aids. I am finishing them up and should have them in the database soon. I'll post here as soon as they become available. Thanks for your interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Homan
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cards and player aids are up in the database, but will have some tweaks shortly. The game is more than functional as is, but is getting a little bit more of a graphic update and some information re-arrangement between the parks and the player aid. I may also be adding a few more cards to the game and making a rule change in favor of the Conservation Station. I expect to have the changes in the database within a week or so.

Despite everything that will be available in the database, to play the game, players will need a supply of cubes and sticks which can be borrowed from other games (I borrowed mine from Merkator and TransEuropa). Small dice are useful for keeping track of each campground's capacity, but are not necessary. Any token may be used to represent litter. We've used acrylic gems as a stand in, but anything will do. I hope you have fun playing this. I've had a lot of fun making it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Having glance through. Neet concept and looks well thought out so far.

First observation.

Dependant Terrain Improvement is hard to discern at a glance.
One suggestion is to make it a little larger. Another suggestion is to separate the two and have them listed as the requirement and maybee an arrow pointing to the unlockable 0 > o

second observation

Might want to rotate the counter and tile pages 90. Having them side on may result in printing goofs.

third observation

Some tiles and other elements seem to be missing from the PDF. Park tiles, mats, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've also glanced through it. My first reaction was : "Wow, 18 page rulebook!" But it seems to be well written. Once you nail down the words, you may want to play with the layout.

Also, speaking of layout, there's a way of laying out the hex tiles so that it's print and play friendly. You'll get more volunteer playtesters that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Homan
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input, John. I'm always looking for advice on how to make this better. It's come a long way from the initial prototype thanks to advice from experienced designers. Thanks for taking a look. My responses to your comments are found below.

Omega2064 wrote:

First observation.

One suggestion is to make it a little larger. Another suggestion is to separate the two and have them listed as the requirement and maybee an arrow pointing to the unlockable 0 > o

That's a fair point. I can do that. I've been thinking of how to make this as easily discernable to the player as possible without taking up too much of the tile space.

Omega2064 wrote:
second observation

Might want to rotate the counter and tile pages 90. Having them side on may result in printing goofs.

Just so I am clear (I'm a little unfamilliar with the more artistic aspects of formatting) are you suggesting switching the page orientation of those elements or are you suggesting a change of the layout itself?

Omega2064 wrote:
third observation

Some tiles and other elements seem to be missing from the PDF. Park tiles, mats, etc.

Unfortunately, these are currently in different PDF files. They are all in the database, though. I've designed them separately, due to some formatting issues, but will look to merge them when the final product (the PnP one, anyway) is ready.

Thanks again for taking a look. I have some tweaks that I am currently adding that will be uploaded soon, so I will try to incorporate what you have mentioned prior to making the update.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Homan
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtower wrote:
I've also glanced through it. My first reaction was : "Wow, 18 page rulebook!" But it seems to be well written. Once you nail down the words, you may want to play with the layout.

Also, speaking of layout, there's a way of laying out the hex tiles so that it's print and play friendly. You'll get more volunteer playtesters that way.

Thanks, Stormtower, for the layout map. I have actually begun making the hex tokens into squares for PnP ease and to minimize the number of pages required. I appreciate the input, though, and will probably use it in future designs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Meant rotate the tile pages to the same orientation as the rules pages. Currently they horizontal rather than vertical like the rest of the PDF.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Homan
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
Meant rotate the tile pages to the same orientation as the rules pages. Currently they horizontal rather than vertical like the rest of the PDF.

OK. Have you had an issue with the printing? I've printed multiple times without a problem. Just curious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Homan
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:

First observation.

Hi John,

Is this what you are thinking of?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thatis alot easier to see now. Good work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Homan
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just uploaded the new files today. I've managed to compact the rules, cards and tokens into one file, but could not get the formatting right to add the parks and the player boards, so those went in a separate file.

Based on recent uploads, these should go live within a day or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.