Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Relic» Forums » General

Subject: I am so down with this... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
oldschoolgamr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Are you standin' yet?
badge
Artwork: My Daughter
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Category: Adventure; Exploration; Science Fiction
Mechanic: Dice Rolling; Roll and Move; Variable Player Powers

As a long time fan of Talisman (third edition) and a recent fan of Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game, I am very excited for this game. I have trouble getting Tailsman to the table (especialy that crazy skull-ridden Gamesworkshop 3rd edition) and think this could add that FFG sophistication and setting/theme upgrade that would make playing the "taboo" DM-less adventure game completely new again...

Next thing you know FFG will get all "Gameworkshop crazy" on us and add the Timescape to connect the two games...?

After thier recent Android releases and now this, I am really warming up to this agressive FFG leadership... Anything that has me playing more boardgames is a really good thing...

OSG
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Until all of your anti-Talisman friends are sitting around a table and half-way through your first game a friend leaps up and decries that this Relic game is in fact the dreaded Talisman that he swore he would never play again! shake

Other than that, sign me up!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oldschoolgamr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Are you standin' yet?
badge
Artwork: My Daughter
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The lack of enthusiasm is simply a product of my wife being the extent of my gaming group since I returned to boardgames after college.

In college, on the other hand, we played the crap out of that 3rd edition - with all the expansions and usually multiple games per session... We had a running tally of wins by character and player - it was some serious goodness.

So that is at least 5 or so people that would also be excited for this release... there has to be more out there, right...? Besides, isn't it possible that FFG will include some rule tweaks to soften the "Talisman System" edges? I suppose it's a love it or hate it situation and since I first played the UK second edition back in the late eighties I was hooked.

It's less about winning and more about the adventure... not at all Euro for those that like that sort of stuff. And I suppose it's clear that theme is 90% of the appeal - so if you're not down with the space marine lore I suppose rolling and moving repeatedly will not hold your interest...

They are designing/producing/printing the game - so that at least tells me they think it will sell... (including, of course, poorly designed inserts and quarterly expansions - yea!).

OSG
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, maybe I meant all MY anti-Talisman friends. Haha! I hear ya though, its the theme that is going to drive my interest in this game. Various scenarios ought to jazz the game up and knowing FFG there will be a few other surprises hopefully that will put this one over the top for my gaming group. (a random assortment of friends who capitulate to my demands to game with me now and than)

Lets keep building the excitement!

This is definitely going on my Secret Santa wishlist! whistle
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Keller
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Talisman is a favorite among our gaming group. So I'm a bit disappointed that Relic is listed as only 2-4 players. We usually have 5 or 6 people for our regular game nights, and the beer & pretzels nature of Talisman makes it a regular option. A version using the 40K universe would be a great compliment to the game, but with the limited player capacity I'm on the fence right now about getting this game. Depending on how the game is designed I suppose you can always shoehorn in an extra player. But I am on "wait-and-see" mode at the moment.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
chopperdan wrote:
Talisman is a favorite among our gaming group. So I'm a bit disappointed that Relic is listed as only 2-4 players. We usually have 5 or 6 people for our regular game nights, and the beer & pretzels nature of Talisman makes it a regular option. A version using the 40K universe would be a great compliment to the game, but with the limited player capacity I'm on the fence right now about getting this game. Depending on how the game is designed I suppose you can always shoehorn in an extra player. But I am on "wait-and-see" mode at the moment.


Its Fantasy Flight Games, wait for all of the expansions!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Inguanzo
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
chopperdan wrote:
So I'm a bit disappointed that Relic is listed as only 2-4 players.


This. There are 10 characters, so why only 4 players? Is it their brilliant solution to decrease downtime?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Lehotai
Slovakia
Piešťany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't get myself into liking this one. I've played the crap out of Talisman when I was younger (I think it was 2nd edition that got translated here) and I love WH40k, but I somehow cannot imagine the combination of both as a good one.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hrhtomas wrote:
chopperdan wrote:
So I'm a bit disappointed that Relic is listed as only 2-4 players.


This. There are 10 characters, so why only 4 players? Is it their brilliant solution to decrease downtime?



There looks to be player cards with dials to measure your 'strength, craft, etc...' and also a certain peg board attached. I think they are only including 4 of those, so that would be player limiting to 4.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Nuttleman
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sixthecat wrote:
There looks to be player cards with dials to measure your 'strength, craft, etc...' and also a certain peg board attached. I think they are only including 4 of those, so that would be player limiting to 4.


The "Paper and Pencil" fan expansion from the Lord of the Rings LCG may have some dual utility here.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
oldschoolgamr wrote:
I am very excited for this game. I have trouble getting Tailsman to the table (especialy that crazy skull-ridden Gamesworkshop 3rd edition)


Do you expect a 40K-themed Talisman to have fewer skulls?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
EitherOrlok wrote:
oldschoolgamr wrote:
I am very excited for this game. I have trouble getting Tailsman to the table (especialy that crazy skull-ridden Gamesworkshop 3rd edition)


Do you expect a 40K-themed Talisman to have fewer skulls?



BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lester Festertester
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
le_renard wrote:
I'm getting tired of all thee games that look to have been designed solely on the purpose of selling you future expansions.
Think Mansions of Madness or the recent Warhammer RPG...
I can understand that some players love to expand the gaming experience and everything, but in the end it's going nowhere.
When I take a look at my Arkham Horror boxes (yeah, I bought them ^^), it's almost ridiculous to see.
whistle


Its good to have the choice. if you do not like the expansions DONT buy them. Easy!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Newman
United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Best news ever I'm soooo stoked for this

Live talisman 2nd ed but hope they take the opportunity not to have unbalanced daft stuff

I'm looking at you Monk
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.