Popular Tags: RSP_guns [+] [View All]
Daniel
United States
Santee
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.ohgizmo.com/2012/07/27/3d-printing-gone-askew-man...

Man prints functional guns at home with 3D printer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpl. Fields
South Africa
Hopelessly Surrounded
Isandlwana, Zululand
flag msg tools
<insert something pithy here>
badge
<insert something clever here>
mbmbmbmbmb
"He's gotta run out of ink some time, and when he does, we'll rush him."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exceptio probat regulam
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Isn't it already US-legal to make a gun (assuming you have the necessary metal-working equipment)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is this made of, just how safe is it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exceptio probat regulam
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The comments in that article suggest that he used a 3D printer to make a working gun using .22 ammo, and fired 200 rounds from it.

He then tried to make a pistol using a genuine .223 "receiver" (which is the core of a gun: breech, extraction and loading, trigger, etc) but wasn't able to get it working effectively.

.22 is low-powered ammo - anyone with a few metal tools can make a .22 pistol which probably won't blow up in their face.

.223 is the same as 5.56 mm. It's rifle ammo, and while it's not very powerful by rifle-ammo standards, I doubt you could use a 3D printer to make anything firing .223 ammo that resembled a normal gun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
chaendlmaier wrote:
As I've said couple of times on this board, ammo control is the solution, not gun control.

Reloading is far easier than gun-building.

I don't think that even a 3d printer can make propelant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
chaendlmaier wrote:
As I've said couple of times on this board, ammo control is the solution, not gun control.

The internet is an amazing thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
chaendlmaier wrote:

Still cannot be made with a 3d printer, also you can't make caps with a 3d printer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
The little company I work for was approached to be a dealer for 3D printers. Still under consideration I guess but definitely on the back burner, since we just bought out another smaller competitor.

EDIT: I was making gunpowder when I was 15 years old. Hell, you could buy the ingredients at the same corner drug store I ought my first AH game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Santee
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
DWTripp wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
chaendlmaier wrote:

Still cannot be made with a 3d printer, also you can't make caps with a 3d printer.

adventures in missing the point...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dandechino wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
DWTripp wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
chaendlmaier wrote:

adventures in missing the point...

To make bullets for an automatic (or indead any cartidge weapon) you need a primer cap. Also magazine fed weapons do not work that well with black powder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Santee
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you imagine a world without guns?

http://old.nationalreview.com/kopel/kopel120501.shtml

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dandechino wrote:

OK, I just looked out of the window.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Santee
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
dandechino wrote:

In the time it took you to do that you could have read the link.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dandechino wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
dandechino wrote:

In the time it took you to do that you could have read the link.

Why, I can see what a country without guns is like I live in one. Also in this country we have ouolawed swordsn spears and bow's from public carry, it's not as if the moment you ban guns all other weapons become leagal. Also high powerd air rifles are coverd by firearms laws. I am not seeing a society that is dominated by the strong (the rich yes, not the strong). As for rape then USA has 28.6 per 100,000 the UK has 24.1, so I am not seeing an increase there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
DWTripp wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
chaendlmaier wrote:

If you learned how to make propellant cheap and easy for reloading, you didn't do that on your own. You didn't build that. Someone else did that for you.

When you made this clever post on the internet, you most likely typed it out on a keyboard at a computer. You didn't build that. That keyboard was delivered to your home in a vehicle that you did not build. You did not build the road that the vehicle drove on to get to your home. You did not build your home. Someone else made these things happen, not you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Santee
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
49xjohn wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
DWTripp wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
chaendlmaier wrote:

If you learned how to make propellant cheap and easy for reloading, you didn't do that on your own. You didn't build that. Someone else did that for you.

When you made this clever post on the internet, you most likely typed it out on a keyboard at a computer. You didn't build that. That keyboard was delivered to your home in a vehicle that you did not build. You did not build the road that the vehicle drove on to get to your home. You did not build your home. Someone else made these things happen, not you.

And the government took money from people who were already working to do that. Can we please get back to why gun control is impossible?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dandechino wrote:
49xjohn wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
DWTripp wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
chaendlmaier wrote:

And the government took money from people who were already working to do that. Can we please get back to why gun control is impossible?

#
Actuaky I thought this thread was about how 3d printers make gun control impossible just ban 3d printers and they can't be used to make guns. Alterntively ban the sael of persusion caps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Santee
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:

Actuaky I thought this thread was about how 3d printers make gun control impossible just ban 3d printers and they can't be used to make guns. Alterntively ban the sael of persusion caps.

Doesn't this highlight the insanity? Where does it end? Besides the tremendous benefit 3d printers provide humanity, what makes banning them seem any more realistic than all the other schemes to restrict gun ownership?

While at that let's license all pipes that could be turned into gun barrels with a microstamping and registration scheme and place a security camera on every single location where metal pipes can be found- even underground. And create a national database of all machining tools. God forbid anyone is allowed the ability to defend themselves with makeshift weapons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dandechino wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Doesn't this highlight the insanity? Where does it end? Besides the tremendous benefit 3d printers provide humanity, what makes banning them seem any more realistic than all the other schemes to restrict gun ownership?

While at that let's license all pipes that could be turned into gun barrels with a microstamping and registration scheme and place a security camera on every single location where metal pipes can be found- even underground. And create a national database of all machining tools. God forbid anyone is allowed the ability to defend themselves with makeshift weapons.

Odd that we accused Iraq of just that, using pipes to make guns. We actualy stoped the export of pipes for that veery reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Santee
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
dandechino wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Odd that we accused Iraq of just that, using pipes to make guns. We actualy stoped the export of pipes for that veery reason.

Without doing any fact-checking, I'm sure Iraqis will be much easier to subdue now that they can't turn pipes into guns. Let's hope they don't find out about 3d printers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dandechino wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
dandechino wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Without doing any fact-checking, I'm sure Iraqis will be much easier to subdue now that they can't turn pipes into guns. Let's hope they don't find out about 3d printers.

I also don't think it was the Iraqi people who wanted the pipe gun, Sadam did. Also I don't think it was a rifle but rather a large calibire field gun type weapon. I don't recall any gun lobbyist saying that banning the export of pipes to Iraq was a bad thing, do you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Santee
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:

I also don't think it was the Iraqi people who wanted the pipe gun, Sadam did. Also I don't think it was a rifle but rather a large calibire field gun type weapon. I don't recall any gun lobbyist saying that banning the export of pipes to Iraq was a bad thing, do you?

Now we are getting into foreign policy. What makes you think I care about what gun lobbyist think? More adventures in missing the point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dandechino wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Now we are getting into foreign policy. What makes you think I care about what gun lobbyist think? More adventures in missing the point.

Not really, just pointing out that if you are not going to take something seriously we can all play that game. Even if we were to accept that 3d printers can be outlawed as a gun control measure that is not the same as outlawing pipes. The world would not be different without 3d printers (and given their newness industry would not find it’s job that much harder then at present) pipes on the other hand are vital. If we outlaw pipes the world would be very different and many jobs would be far harder then they are today. So in fact your analogy was facile and disingenuous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:

You also can't make the barrel in the printer, only the receiver. But you can buy the barrels elsewhere as they are not regulated (or make them if you have the equipment).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.