Popular Tags: [View All]
Dylan
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mb

Hello!

I'm looking for a sort of civ-y, sort of euro-y, game that comes in at around 90 minutes or less. I'm trying to choose between Ad Astra, Galactic Emperor, or something else I haven't thought of. I know GE might take a bit longer to play but I'm still interested.

Any recommendations, or a preference between those two?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buddha Meeple
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mb
If you consider card civ-y euro-y game then maybe Race for the Galaxy.

Also - Eclipse plays in 30m/player - so it can go under 90m if you play in 2 or 3...

From what I heard Ad Astra is similar to Settlers of Catan, but havent played it so can't comment if it is good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Carroll
United States
Joplin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Top 10 Space Empire Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kentaro Sugiyama
United States
Redondo Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend Ad Astra in a heartbeat. It has a good amount of play for the gaming dollar, as I've played it 40+ times. I've only played GE once, and while it was good at the time, it seems to have been overtaken by other recent offerings.

Ad Astra has a number of familiar game mechanisms that flow nicely together:
*Settlers-like resource production, resource trading, planet controlling, and unit building.
*Race for the Galaxy-like piggy-backing of actions.
*Shogun-like sequencing of action cards in a queue, although only 3-4 of the 11 cards are played. Sequencing can be in any order the player wishes.
*Eve:Conquest-like variable, non-linear player turn/actions--in some cases, 2, 3, or 4 same player actions could be sequenced one-after-another.
*A Game of Thrones-like mechanic of not getting back scoring cards until all three have been played.
*Puerto Rico-like mechanic of added benefit for player who played a specific action:
--Move more ships, instead of one;
--Build as many units as one wants (and can afford), instead of just one;
--Ability to initiate trades with other players, along with trading with bank at 2:1, where other players cannot trade 2:1;
--Ability to determine which of the two resource types listed to generate, possibly locking out other players; and
--Ability to choose what category of scoring--one of two types listed--will occur.
*Galactic Emperor-like random setup of planets and exploration of systems. However, exploring player can look at all planets within a system, only revealing one.
*Cosmic Encounter-like "board-less" setup.

There is nothing more satisfying than seeing your programmed sequence of actions work perfectly, embedded with and leveraging off of other players' actions.

First several plays will easily exceed two-three hours, but with familiarity, veterans can finish this in 90 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the two you list, I'd say Galactic Emperor. Ironically I enjoy Galactic Emperor's mechanics more than the game I'm actually about to suggest...but the following game is FAR better for a civ type approach.

AS someone already said Eclipse (Hope i listed the right one here) is the BEST of the Sci-Fi civ games....

Others are better games in my opinion, such as Twilight Imperium which has more of an all around awesome game feel, but involves just as much table talk and politicizing as it does civ building.

The biggest problem with Eclipse is, even after you've gotten the rules down, if you play with any more than 3, it's probably going to take you more than 90 minutes.

In which case, I'd suggest Galactic Emperor instead.

Race for the galaxy is fun as well, but it's a card game, not a boardgame...if you can live with that, Race is even quicker, and perhaps just as strong as Eclipse in relation to being a civ game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mb
Well thanks folks! After all I think I've decided on Ad Astra.. space theme, good reviews, nice artwork.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.