Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank Castle
United States
Lothian
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With no new races, this game only add in the ability to make a custom map. Pretty weak in my opinion, I can and have played house rules scenarios on the stock boards. I doubt I will be adding this title to my Small World collection....unless someone here can convince me that this game is actually worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
easye1982 wrote:
With no new races, this game only add in the ability to make a custom map. Pretty weak in my opinion, I can and have played house rules scenarios on the stock boards. I doubt I will be adding this title to my Small World collection....unless someone here can convince me that this game is actually worth it.

Well then I suppose that you won't be convinced. I'll be buying it simply for a change from the fixed maps that come with the game, which has always been a bit of a bother for me with this sort of game. In fact I've long wanted just this sort of thing for all sorts of games of this type.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Armstrong
United States
Bedford
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The scenarios add new elements to the game. You also get the tunnel expansion with it, so you can play both above ground and underground together.
If you are a big Small World fan you will think this expansion is well worth it. If you are not, then I am sure this will be a "take it or leave it" expansion.
Personally I think it is well worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Groff-Folsom
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really struggling to understand the meta-theme that seems to be running BGG these days of "I don't want to buy this. Tell me why I should." There's no secret here. It's a modular board, and a bunch of scenarios related to having a modular board.

Do you want to play with peaks? Do you want to include chasms and rivers in non-Underground games? Are you tired of seeing the same four boards over and over again?

I finally got my copy yesterday. I've been excited for this expansion, but actually seeing the components in person (especially the tiles) made me even more excited to get it to the table. I know there's a "Go East" scenario, but I kind of want to build a Settlers of America-style board where races enter from the east and go west across an approximation of America. I'm curious to see if I can also create a Middle-Earth scenario. I'm excited for the race/special power draft, regardless of what map it's played on. I also know that if I let my wife design her own SW map I know she'll be that much more likely to play. That's why I'm completely satisfied with my purchase. I don't know if those factors do anything for you, but if they don't, just don't buy it. This expansion is exactly what you can imagine it to be. If you don't perceive value in it, then move along and keep playing on the perfectly acceptable boards that you've been using.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Stetson
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mb
I'm not that thrilled with it either, but I can understand why some would be. I believe this is a group dependent expansion. If yOur play group really enjoys SM(u) and logs multiple plays each session, I would say that this would be for you. Otherwise, the cost, and added setup time make it one that this SW fan is passing on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My questions are not always if I'm going to buy it, but when ...
There are so many great games out right now I have to pace myself on them. Some I want right now, but others I can wait on, unless they're on sale ...

I will probably get some of the more expensive ones later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave41fan wrote:
I'm really struggling to understand the meta-theme that seems to be running BGG these days of "I don't want to buy this. Tell me why I should."

I think people ask because there's a conflict between wanting something and at the same time not wanting it. I bet most people post WANTING to be convinced, because we're all such addicts, right?

That said, this is the first Small World product I've passed on, for now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Keates
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave41fan wrote:
I'm excited for the race/special power draft, regardless of what map it's played on.

Whoa, what? That sounds interesting, is that in the scenario book somewhere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Castle
United States
Lothian
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Azgard12 wrote:
Dave41fan wrote:
I'm really struggling to understand the meta-theme that seems to be running BGG these days of "I don't want to buy this. Tell me why I should."

I think people ask because there's a conflict between wanting something and at the same time not wanting it. I bet most people post WANTING to be convinced, because we're all such addicts, right?

That said, this is the first Small World product I've passed on, for now.

Exactly, I ask because I am on the fence. Dollars and cents says whats the difference between a $130 game vs a $160. Thirty bucks! Lol. Now is that $30 going to make the game have a greater then $30 reward system. The same logic as why people are will to pay so much for "overpriced" expansions. All I was hoping to get was either justification in my passing on this title or if I should look deeper into reconsidering picking it up....

Thanks to everyone for their opinions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bohm
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
easye1982 wrote:

Exactly, I ask because I am on the fence. Dollars and cents says whats the difference between a $130 game vs a $160. Thirty bucks! Lol. Now is that $30 going to make the game have a greater then $30 reward system. The same logic as why people are will to pay so much for "overpriced" expansions. All I was hoping to get was either justification in my passing on this title or if I should look deeper into reconsidering picking it up....

Thanks to everyone for their opinions!

You did read that the new expansion plays 6, right? I'd say it's worth $30 to make Small World one of the few games that plays with 6. Even before Realms, I got Random Map Expansion (fan expansion for Small World) and I like it a lot.

On the downside, the plus of Small World in general is that it can be a quick game and the increased set up time makes it medium in game length.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I bought this because I often play with 6 players, but even without that it's worth it in my opinion, the scenarios allow you to mix things up a bit and keep it interesting.

It is what it is, and it's good quality, so I'm really not sure what the problem is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.