6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Computer Based Board Gaming

Subject: Html5/CSS/Javascript - Convert to ipad/android rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Danger Mouse
msg tools
Hi,

I am finishing off a website based database game in html5/css/js. I only use php for database entry. I would like to write some AI code then and then distribute it as solo-playable game. (Ie the php element of the game will not be used.)

I use a pc, and do not want to buy a mac.

How would I go about making this into games for ipad/android etc? (I can see how to do it for the upcoming win8 app store.)

I do not want to use paid for converters. I only want to use open source/free or stuff I can code myself.

[Note, I can easily see how to do this for a windows based desktop app, with minimal/no recoding, including icon etc]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on reading articles, not personal experience, I would be check out PhoneGap. It is a free tool for making apps based on HTML/CSS/JS, and it supports "iOS, Android, Blackberry, Windows Phone, Palm WebOS, Bada and Symbian".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
Step 1: Put on Internet.

Step 2: There is no step 2.

Android and iOS both have good HTML5 support, and with proper usage of those features a webpage can be practically indistinguishable from a native app, right down to having your own icon to launch it and being usable offline.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
Step 1: Put on Internet.

Step 2: There is no step 2.

Android and iOS both have good HTML5 support, and with proper usage of those features a webpage can be practically indistinguishable from a native app, right down to having your own icon to launch it and being usable offline.

Yes, that is also correct. But I'm not sure how many users actually know how to properly "install" the page on the phone? It would not be fun to add an online HTML game to your phone homepage (I think both Android and iOS support that? I know MeeGo phones do anyway), play it offline, and suddenly the game stops because of some missing file that has to be downloaded. I think that is avoided by proper use of a cache-manifest, but I don't think there is any guarantee the phone does not remove some files when running low on space (or for whatever other reasons)?

Of course the OP might also expect a Step 3 "PROFIT" here, and if you want users to pay $$$ to install the game apps is probably the best way, and then you need something like PhoneGap, or manually wrap the game inside an app (which is trivial on Android, and AFAIK it is trivial on iOS as well).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Colombo
United States
Raleigh / Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
BlueLineGameStudios.com
badge
BlueLine Game Studios - Digital Tabletop games since 2011
mbmbmbmbmb
I've personally made some HTML/JS/CSS apps into Android/iOS apps using Appcelerator Titanium and was happy with the results.

Pros:
- Native speed
- The "LyricWiki lyrics" app I wrote using Titanium shares one codebase between the two Android and iOS apps and it's turned out to be quite fast & also stable. There are closing in on 500,000 downloads and I get almost no bug reports... mostly just feature requests.
- Good internationalization support (foreign languages).

Cons:
- Titanium has some specific Javascript APIs, so it's not completely identical to how I'd write the code if I'd wanted it to work on the web.
- Getting Titanium set up the first time was a pain. Seems easier in recent versions, but still not as easy as I'd want.

Also, I hear good things about PhoneGap but I haven't used it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kershaw
Ireland
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
WARGAME!
badge
Lines of Battle: Quatre Bras 1815. Brunswick hussar.
mbmbmbmbmb
pelni wrote:
Based on reading articles, not personal experience, I would be check out PhoneGap. It is a free tool for making apps based on HTML/CSS/JS, and it supports "iOS, Android, Blackberry, Windows Phone, Palm WebOS, Bada and Symbian".

Looks interesting. I take it you write in JavaScript and package with phonegap to whatever device?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.