Josh Owens
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played the intro quest last night and the players chose the healer archer (Jaina?) and the dwarf. Although it was an exciting finish, I had one goblin left to escape within distance to make it and my Ettin had 2 health left so the heroes made the risky decision to go after the Ettin to try to take away 2 health and ignore the goblin. Bad dice rolls for them left the Ettin with 1 health left and my goblin ran off in the sunset. Pretty cool it came down to the wire like that for both sides. Anyway, the dwarf didn't do much, but it was mainly the archer that just stood back and picked off various enemies. Since then I have read that the dwarf isn't great for a 2 hero game. If so, I'll let the guy playing him switch it out before we start the main quests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cannot comment first hand since have not played the game yet, but going through the rules, quest book and chars in detail and reading quite a few reports around, I would not recommend having half your group with a serious movement disadvantage since many quest evolve around quickly getting somewhere, or even outrunning monsters.

So I would say change it now before it´s too far into the campaign and the hero player is already disappointed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SilverBulletKY wrote:
Anyway, the dwarf didn't do much, ...

In the two "First Blood" games I've played, the Berserker Dwarf, using his heroic feat, was responsible for taking down the Mauler. Three good attacks in a row can be very effective.
TK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukasz Biernat
Poland
Dabrowa Gornicza
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He's pretty badass in our campaign. Usually there's no point in attacking him, bastard is tough and as a knight he has some good defensive abilities.
His ability to discard conditions discourages messing with him even more.

He's a beast in some quests, especially those that utilize strenght tests - he pushes those boulders like there were nothing.
I love playing traps on him though, the ones that require awareness skill check - he fumbles every single time

We didn't notice his 'slowness', he has a good stamina score and can keep up with a faster healer with no problem. Oath of Honor helps a lot too. He uses a weapon with 'reach' so he doesn't have to walk a lot to attack stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Biernath_John wrote:
He's pretty badass in our campaign. Usually there's no point in attacking him, bastard is tough and as a knight he has some good defensive abilities.
His ability to discard conditions discourages messing with him even more.

He's a beast in some quests, especially those that utilize strenght tests - he pushes those boulders like there were nothing.
I love playing traps on him though, the ones that require awareness skill check - he fumbles every single time

We didn't notice his 'slowness', he has a good stamina score and can keep up with a faster healer with no problem. Oath of Honor helps a lot too. He uses a weapon with 'reach' so he doesn't have to walk a lot to attack stuff.

Out of curiosity, are you playing with just two heroes also?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukasz Biernat
Poland
Dabrowa Gornicza
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes we're just 2 people, I play overlord, he controls 2 heroes. Dwarf + healer guy.

It might be worth to mention that heroes only won 'First Blood' and I managed to win Fat Goblin, Castle Something and Death on the Wing, but everything except Castle was pretty damn close.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vaughan Edge
United Kingdom
Cheshire
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think the Dwarf is a good character. In the introduction i have seen him kill Mauler on the first turn. Just use his heroic feat and fatigue to get to Mauler. With a good roll he can kill him in one go. However it is possible to get two attacks with the use of fatigue and his heroic feat. After this quest if he's beserker he can get Brute. He becomes one hell of a tank. Yes he isn't the most nimble and will have to use alot of fatigue to keep up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Alonso
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have played through to the Interlude and the dwarf is fine. I believe all the complaints are unwarranted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not that the dwarf is "terrible" it's that his special ability is almost never used and therefore sucks. ALL of the other 7 heroes will use their ability many times a game, and the dwarf, never. Because of that, might as well bring Sydreal instead, you get a very similar character (Warrior with good stats) that has a special ability that is constantly used.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theis Magle
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
shnar wrote:
It's not that the dwarf is "terrible" it's that his special ability is almost never used and therefore sucks. ALL of the other 7 heroes will use their ability many times a game, and the dwarf, never. Because of that, might as well bring Sydreal instead, you get a very similar character (Warrior with good stats) that has a special ability that is constantly used.

-shnar

If you are OL how can you not make Sydreal move? I would never leave a monster adjacent to Sydreal. I would force him to move around...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It happens, especially with weak, throw away monsters like Zombies. Just enough speed to get close and attack. Also seems to happen if the OL is clogging a passage. Point being, Sydreal's ability it way more useful than the dwarf's.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theis Magle
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
shnar wrote:
It happens, especially with weak, throw away monsters like Zombies. Just enough speed to get close and attack. Also seems to happen if the OL is clogging a passage. Point being, Sydreal's ability it way more useful than the dwarf's.

-shnar

your OL need to have a some training.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.