Subject: is the office of architects overpowered? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Schott
Germany
Franconia
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
badge
Please fondle my bum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi
Note that I have yet to play the expansion
Looking through the rules ans cards, I found everything OK and quite interesting, except for th Offcie of architects, or whatever it is called in english
it is an age II card, that gives you (for a mere 1 papyrus and 1 coin) the power to build all the steps of your wonder for free, and is worth 2 VP itself.
assuming that most players start their wonder at age II (or at least don't have finished more than one step after age I), the card alone is worth around 10-12 VP + bonus.
Seems like an auto-win for me, that nobody can turn down - or, if they don't have papyrus, must at all cost bury for money.
That's a no-brainer move, and 7 wonders was so far free of that.
Thoughts?
Am I mistaken? (Please tell me that I am mistaken.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You still need resources to buy other buildings, so you can't just ignore them and not get stuff you will end up using for your wonder anyway. And consideringI it is an age II card, you still have to account for you not getting it or it not even being present in the game. In the end, it only saves you money you wouldn't have to spend getting the few resources you don't have.

As far as waiting until Age II to start your wonder, several of the wonders have very useful abilities you want to get out as soon as you can, so waiting umtil age II is by no means a given.

Perhaps if you play the game itself you will find out how powerful it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Albano
United States
Bloomfield
NJ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the card itself is worth 2 VP, and is also worth 1 gold so that means it is never free to actually build.

Additionally, as the above poster said, it really just saves you money. You still need to dedicate cards to build the wonder. And since you were probably setting up those resources in the first stage, you won't be saving a lot of money to begin with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
Germany
Franconia
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
badge
Please fondle my bum.
mbmbmbmbmb
it is of course true that you can't build a strategy around the card, as you don't know if it is in the game at all in the first place.

Let me say it another way:
I think nearly all people will build this card when they can do it, or try to bury it. At least I think I would.
Perhaps I should not say too much when I haven't played.
Interested how that will turn out...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It entirely depends on the situation. If you have no way of getting brick and you have the choice between discarding that card for 3 coin or taking the two brick resource, which would you choose?

And there is always a question as to what is the better move: denying someone a good card by discarding or playing the card that is better for you. It depends on who you would pass it to, which wonders you are playing, how many stages you have completed, what resources you have and need, what else is in the hand, which leaders you have, etc. This is not even considering what the other players' habits and styles are.

I don't think there is a single card you can say "always plays this under every circumstance" in this game or any of its expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eagle-Eyed Superhawk
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
Oh, America, what have you done.
mbmbmb
What Matt said. Honestly, my first impression is that it's not actually a very good card. There might be situations where it's valuable, but most of the time it's just going to save you a few coins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph M.
Germany
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After 20 plays with Cities, I think this one is a rather week card. Usually you have most, if not all of the needed ressources for your wonder. Most often the issue with wonder building is the needed action, i.e. you cannot build that palace/guild/whatever on your hand if you do the wonder.
Of course, this guild is great for Gizah, or for all wonders that need 4 of the same ressource (and can be made unbuildable by other players due to card burying).

Really strong cards in this set are the black market and the spy cards, as well as the (rather expensive) military cards if played unexpected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.